Wedding Party

Plus Sized Bill Levkoff Bridesmaid Dress

I was just wondering if anyone had an experience ordering a plus sized bridesmaid dress from Bill Levkoff? He makes plus sized gowns up to a Size 28 but I may have a problem with the sizing of a few of my girls. Does anyone know if they will do a special order? Or does anyone know other BM designers who have larger sized dresses? I want to be sensitive to their feelings and not ask them to order dresses that don't come in their sizes. Thanks in advance. 

Re: Plus Sized Bill Levkoff Bridesmaid Dress

• I don't know anything about Bill Levkoff but Dessy makes an awesome bridesmaid dress thats called the Twist Wrap Dress: http://www.dessy.com/wrap-dress/ It comes in every color and can be worn to fit any body type because there is so many different ways to wear the dress! Hope this helps :)
  • I don't know anything about Bill Levkoff but Dessy makes an awesome bridesmaid dress thats called the Twist Wrap Dress: http://www.dessy.com/wrap-dress/ It comes in every color and can be worn to fit any body type because there is so many different ways to wear the dress! Hope this helps :)
    No!  These convertible dresses are awful, ESPECIALLY for plus size ladies. 

• Really? That's good to know, I was told they were perfect for girls of all sizes, guess I need to find a new bridesmaid dress idea! Thanks for letting me know!
  • My pleasure, @shannonfhagan.  There are a ton of ladies here who can tell you from personal experience just how bad they are for most figures.  They seem like such a good idea, but the reality is just bad.

• By the way, if that's your real full name you might want to PM KnotPorscha and ask her to change it for you.  Internet safety and all.

• It's so frustrating how difficult they make it for plus sized women to get dresses! But I hope you have an amazing wedding and find the perfect dress for your girls! Let me know if you do find a brand because I'm going to have to look for one too! The only one I know besides Dessy is WToo, but I think they might only go up to a 24, ugh so difficult!
  • I'm actually not getting married; I speak from the POV of someone in the wedding party.  Have you been on the Attire & Accessories board? 

• The bill levkoff website should have measurements for each size. If some have unusual measurements like larger hips but smaller bust or something, they order the size that fits the largest measurements and can take the dress to a tailor (independent tailors are usually less pricey than salon tailors) and have the other parts taken in. I had to do this. My wedding dress was a Levkoff bridesmaid dress, and while I am not plus sized, I do have wider hips and a larger bust than most women my height, with a small waist. So my dress had to be taken in a lot at the waist because I had to order two sizes up to fit my hips. Also, try to go with a corset back dress if they still have them. Those are generally very flattering to all shapes and more versatile when it comes to fitting than a zipper.
  • Thanks for all the help so far. The problem is that I think one of the girls might not meet the measurements for even the largest size, a 28. I don't want her to go and get measured just to find out I had to change the dress because of her. I want her to feel comfortable because she is a dear friend but I don't know how to proceed. And the customer service for Bill Levkoff says they will NOT make custom larger sizes. I don't want to compromise on the dress all 9 girls really like, myself included, but I don't know what to do at this point. Could a seamstress alter it? Will I run into the same problem with other brands, like Dessy or Alfred Angelo? I really don't like the David's Bridal colors or dresses but I don't know if I have any other option.
  • Any way you can get her measurements just saying you need to know for picking out dresses from everyone? That way - if it does seem like she won't fit in the 28 - you can avoid letting her know you had a dress picked that you are now changing for her needs.

Personally - I had a Bill Levkoff for my brothers wedding. They tend to run pretty small but their sizing chart is pretty spot on. 

Finding a dress that meets the requirements of 9 different girls? Good luck with with that! I have 4 and I'm letting everyone pick what they like within a set of perimeters. 
  • Thanks @abbyj700! Yeah it seems to run small but I think I do need to ask for her measurements just to see if a particular designer will work for her. I don't care too much about the style of the dress, but I would really like for the color, fabric and designer to be the same.
  • My girls haven't had a problem with the dresses so far. However, one of my girls didn't order the dress in time, but she found another dress by another designer that looks almost exactly like the dress the other girls have. PM me if you want to know this designer… I don't know it off the top of my head so I'll have to ask her :)
  • Thanks @jessiray, I might PM you if this option doesn't work. I found a store that carries a similiar Bill Levkoff dress in a size 28 but my friend won't go to the store to try it on. I'm trying to be as accommodating as I can, but I'm so anxious that I'm starting to lose my patience. She won't give me her measurements or go to the store to get measured, so I'm kind of at a stand still on what to do from here. I might just forget the whole thing and tell them to wear black, although I loved the idea of a wine colored dress in the fall.
  • Viczaesar said:
    I don't know anything about Bill Levkoff but Dessy makes an awesome bridesmaid dress thats called the Twist Wrap Dress: http://www.dessy.com/wrap-dress/ It comes in every color and can be worn to fit any body type because there is so many different ways to wear the dress! Hope this helps :)
    No!  These convertible dresses are awful, ESPECIALLY for plus size ladies. 
    THIS! I just wore a convertible dress for a wedding and, as a plus-size girl, looked awful in it. Please don't use those!

I just ordered a plus-size Bill Levkoff gown for another wedding I'm in (size 22) and I had to pay an extra $40 because it was plus-size but it looks super nice! Empire waist, etc.
  • My fiance and I offered to pay the extra money $40 plus any extra alternations she might need. I just cant get her in the actual store to get measured. AGH! I'm trying to be accommodating but I'm at my wits end! 

@winnipegwriter, do you remember what the dress was? Ours in empire waist too, Style 736.

A lot of people on these boards tell you to let the bridesmaids choose the gown themselves but I have my heart set on this one. Should I just give up trying?

• I don't remember but I'll check if I still have the order slip!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards