Not Engaged Yet
Options

Hair Problems :(

My hair has been SO staticy (is that a word?)  lately, to the point where I can't even where it down anymore because I look like a fright. A co-worker told me that she uses dryer sheets on her hair to help with static, but I've noticed when I brush my hair there's a lot of static coming from my brush as well.  When i put on jackets my hair freaks out and goes crazy. I'm tired of wearing my hair up.  Anyone have any suggestions or tips for static hair, clothes, and brushes??
Anniversary

Re: Hair Problems :(

• Options
    Argh! I've always used the dryer sheet trick. I actually haven't had static in a long while. I remember having it so much back in high school, for some reason.

I'm sure there is some sorta science thing you can do. Scientists?
  • Options
    @taurceatha I was hoping there was some scientific trick I could try! I've never had so much static in my hair in life! Its frustrating.
    Anniversary

• Options
    @severmilli what kind of hair products do you use? You might need something to put on your ends after you style it to just cut down on the static.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    @buddysmom80 I typically don't use any during the week other than hair spray and sometimes mousse.  My hair is usually pretty straight and never frizzy or full of static.  I've never had a problem with static so I don't even know what to use for it.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I've been having the same problem! I have a "swishy" (for lack of a better word) coat and the second my hair goes near it, I look like this:

• Options

I get static when I flat iron my hair (which is what I usually do in the winter time). I got the Garnier Argan Moroccan Oil or whatever it's called and that seemed to help. A little goes a long way though. I have long, thick hair and only use a tiny, tiny amount.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I spray static spray on my brush... I use to use the dryer sheet trick, but I must buy the wrong ones because I was walking around looking like I had an infestation with all of the white flakes in my hair from the dryer sheet...
  • Options
    brerhodes said:
    I spray static spray on my brush... I use to use the dryer sheet trick, but I must buy the wrong ones because I was walking around looking like I had an infestation with all of the white flakes in my hair from the dryer sheet...
    OMG! This sounds horrible lol. I use dryer sheets now for static but I hope this has never happened lol.
  • Options
    @brerhodes

What is this static spray you speak of!? I NEED IT.
    Anniversary

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    imagesevermilli12 It's mostly for clothes and it stinks something fierce, so that's why I spray it on my brush, so the stench is not directly on my hair... (actually it smells a lot like dry shampoo).  
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    hmm... the pic didn't work, but it's called static guard! :)
  • Options
    @brerhodes thanks! I'm desperate so I'll try anything, stinky or not.
    Anniversary

• Options
    a little bit of oil should help.  if you don't have hair oil, some olive oil on your hands will do the trick!
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    What does it say about me that I know that GIF from Friends is from the One With Monica's Thunder, and Joey is offended that someone said he was 31 because he was sure he was 30?

Actually, my hair (which is usually not very static-y) has been VERY static-y this week, so I think there's something in the air. We don't use dryer sheets, so we don't have any; I just wet my brush and hope for the best.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options

@Phira it says that you are awesome.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I love you guys.

friends animated GIF

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    This might sound weird and counter-intuitive, but canned air can also help. You can buy it at most tech stores (like best buy, radio shack, etc) they use it to clean computer keyboards. If you spray it on your hair after your done getting ready, it should help diffuse the static (and it usually doesn't smell since it's just air). The idea of canned air is weird to me, and paying for air is weird, but it's usually pretty cheap. Just hold the can above your head facing down and spray it downwards on your head. 

I also second the moroccan oil suggestion. It works really well for me (I have thin hair, but lots and lots of it and it's curly) and you can use just a tiny, tiny bit (think pea size or less) and it works wonders. It can be a little pricey, but a little goes a long way and I can use one bottle for like a year. 
  • Options
    I use a little bit of ltion in my hair, because it's always staticky, and tickles something fierce.
  • Options
    lotion is actually very bad for your hair, strips it of the natural oils...  so in the long run, lotion contributes to the problem.  olive oil or hair oil (Argan) or even just vitamin E oil is much better for your hair.
  • Options
    I second the argan or other oil idea. I use an olive-oil based one that I love.

Since static electricity is caused by an imbalance of charges, you have to get your hair backed to a balanced charge. The oil will help do that, as will the dryer sheets or water.

Lotion is very bad for your hair so don't use that. Also consider rubbing a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit of oil on your brushes and combs to remove their charges (or runt he dryer sheet over them).
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards