March 2014 Weddings

Dress of my dreams<3

Ok so I go in for my last fitting in less than a week and I literally cannot stop thinking about my dress. Now the big question that my mom and I are having is how are we getting my dress from Texas to Colorado.

The problem is we are flying into Colorado, but I don't think I can bring it as a carry on because of the size of this dress.I called the airlines we are flying and they said unless I can fold it under my seat or fit it in the overhead (which other bags could be placed on top of it and due to the size this will not just be folded up and shoved under a seat) I can't just bring it on the plane. Does anyone have advice on shipping a wedding dress or checking it for the flight?? This is one of the last things that I have to figure out.

P.S. I also couldn't resist not posting a picture of the dress<3 Can't wait to have it on once it finally fits properly. 

Anniversary

Re: Dress of my dreams&lt;3

• edited March 2014
    From the Sandals website:

1. Using a large dress box (about one-third of your gown) with that acid-free tissue paper that stores tend to pack gift items in, line your box with tissue paper first and then center your gown in the middle of the box ensuring the back is laid out very smoothly. At this point only the middle of your gown should be in the box. The top and bottom of the gown should be hanging out over the top and bottom of the box.
    2.  Add more tissue to cover the top and then beginning at the side seams; fold the skirt of your gown lengthwise over bunched tissue until the skirt is no wider than the box. Then add more tissue and fold the bottom of skirt into the box.
    3. Yep you guessed it; add even more tissue and fold the top of the gown over into the box. The top of your gown will now be facing up. The best way we can explain it is to picture yourself lying on your stomach with your legs folded over backwards while your head and shoulders are lying on top of your legs–facing up.
    4. Last but not least use more tissue (you should probably buy a lot of tissue paper) to stuff the bodice and cushion anything else such as bows or sleeves that should be protected.
    5. This step is the most important- DO NOT MOVE, SHAKE, AND/ OR REMOVE YOUR DRESS. We mean it! We know it’s very tempting to want to peek at your dress or shake it to hear if it’s still in there; it is. If your mother insists that you try it on one last time for your dear old aunt Clara to see, gently tell her that you want to surprise her with how smashing it looks on you on the day of your wedding!
    Once you take it out:
    Before you do anything, unpack your dress and hang it up in the closet. The weight of the gown will begin to slowly straighten out any wrinkles and most of them will fall out within 24 to 48 hours. No matter how well you or anyone else packs your dress, it may wrinkle. If your dress still has deep creases or wrinkles after a day, call your front desk, concierge or butler to arrange for laundry personnel to take a look at your dress and let you know what your options are. Don’t fret, it will definitely be taken care of!

PS:  It's gorgeous!!
    image 108 invited.
    image 95 will be celebrating with us.
    image 13 will be there in spirit...
    (including the uninvited cousins who
    RSVP-ed and then cancelled after 
    realizing that it wasn't a great time
    to travel to our city....) 
    image 0 are keeping us guessing!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • That is the most amazing advice! I am going to have to talk to my mom about that so after my fitting we will be able to get it packed and ready to go.

Aww thank you :D
    Anniversary
  • @moegleason - I would possibly suggest asking your seamstress if she can 'pack it' for travel so that you can ship it or carry it on the plane.  I wouldn't want to separate myself from that beautiful gown.  I wish you all the luck in the world!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
    image 40 are party poopers
    image 0 awaiting reply
    Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.
  • soontobemrsbuccheri - I will definitely ask her when I go to my fitting on Tuesday if this would be something that they could help me with. Yes, that has been my dilemma as I really don't want to be on pins and needles if I had to ship it. I really would prefer to either carry it on the plane or have it as a "checked bag".
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards