Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Toasts

it weird not to have anyone giving a toast at a wedding?   Both my venue and our DJ will need to know how many/who is giving toasts but we don't have a maid of honor or best man (just bridesmaids and groomsmen).   Who else typically would give a toast?

Re: Toasts

• The father of the bride and/or the father of the groom.

We didn't plan any toasts at our wedding, but my brother-in-law stood up and made one anyway. It was actually really short and sweet. But I don't think it would have been weird if we'd had none.

Also, my DH and I stood up and thanked everyone for coming and made a toast to community. So you can make a toast too!
  • emmyg65 said:
    The father of the bride and/or the father of the groom.

We didn't plan any toasts at our wedding, but my brother-in-law stood up and made one anyway. It was actually really short and sweet. But I don't think it would have been weird if we'd had none.

Also, my DH and I stood up and thanked everyone for coming and made a toast to community. So you can make a toast too!
    ^^This.  At the very least, the bride and groom should say a few words of appreciation to their guests for their attendance and support.

You don't need a MOH or BM to offer toasts.  Anyone that has something to offer can make a toast.  In addition to toasts, will you have anyone in attendance that might want to offer up a blessing/prayer before your meal?
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    thanks! I'll just leave it with me and my fiancée saying something.  I did invite our priest, but do not know yet if he will attend - he is not someone we have known long, only  met him recently when we rejoined our church.
  • I don't think it's odd, but you could have your officiant say grace before dinner if you want to have something...

We are providing more of an opportunity for toasts at our welcome dinner the night before the wedding for BM, MOH and maybe a couple other close friends.  We will probably only have the minister's blessing and FFIL speak at the reception.  Oh, and FI and I will say a little something at the end of the night.

I guess it's not just us... our DJ was being surprisingly pushy about saying you need to have more people give toasts at the reception, what about your father, etc. I understand he needs the timeline but I wasn't looking for input on how many/who should give a toast at the reception.  I finally had to come out and tell him I don't have any relatives. As usual, that ended the conversation.  Just wish I didn't have to go there (sad topic for me) to make vendors understand. 

• vmj23vmj23 member

I don't think it's odd, but you could have your officiant say grace before dinner if you want to have something...

We are providing more of an opportunity for toasts at our welcome dinner the night before the wedding for BM, MOH and maybe a couple other close friends.  We will probably only have the minister's blessing and FFIL speak at the reception.  Oh, and FI and I will say a little something at the end of the night.

I guess it's not just us... our DJ was being surprisingly pushy about saying you need to have more people give toasts at the reception, what about your father, etc. I understand he needs the timeline but I wasn't looking for input on how many/who should give a toast at the reception.  I finally had to come out and tell him I don't have any relatives. As usual, that ended the conversation.  Just wish I didn't have to go there (sad topic for me) to make vendors understand. 

Yes it's more of the DJ and venue wanting to know who is giving toasts.  Like I said I don't have a MOH or best man, and my father is unable to give a speech (disabled from a stroke) so we really don't have anyone i'd feel comfy asking and rather leave it alone.  Thanks for your input!
  • jenni1221  I'm sure that will be fine.  I'm so glad your father can be with you, nevermind about speeeches :)
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    jenni1221  I'm sure that will be fine.  I'm so glad your father can be with you, nevermind about speeeches :)
    me too :)  that's all that matters to me
  • The best man at our wedding did a speech.  If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have had any, and that would've been fine by me!  My DH and I didn't do a public thank you, but we made sure to go around to every table and thank everyone.  Make sure you at least do that if you don't want to stand up and do it.
  • We aren't having toasts. My mom and the coordinator told us to think it over before we say no to toasts, but I know we won't change our minds. I don't see how it could be weird not having a toast. If people do think it's weird, then they can make sure to have toasts at their weddings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards