Luxury Weddings

Honeymoon is BOOKED....

13»

Re: Honeymoon is BOOKED....

• @peaseblosson55   Very cool, what areas will you visit?  I spent some time in the rain forest at an eco lodge in 2005 and really enjoyed it.
  • mc123mc said:
    South Africa anyone? We just booked 16 days there, some safari, some in cape town and the winelands and finishing up in Mozambique for beach and relaxation! I wish I could take a month off of work because there is so much more I'd want to do there. 

if anyone has been or is planning, let me know. 

We are going to South Africa!!  We just booked a week of safari and a week in Capetown- winelands, penguins, shark cage diving, Robben island etc.  Hoping to spend 2 or 3 days in a layover city on the way home, but haven't planned our international flights yet.

I agree with you about wanting a month! At least! We planned our wedding date around getting the most time off work. :) SO EXCITED!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We finally booked our honeymoon last week. We will be spending 10 days in Belize.  I can't wait for this vacation!
    That will be an awesome trip!  My fiance/then bf took me on a cruise to celebrate law school graduation, and our favorite stop was Belize.  As cruises are, we only had one afternoon to spend there, but I definitely wished we had a week to visit.  We went in a small- ~20 person- boat out to the barrier reef and swam and touched sharks and stingrays, also saw moray eels and all kinds of things.  On the way there a wild mother dolphin and young swam up to the boat.  It was amazing!  Have a fabulous time :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Has anyone used or heard of the travel agency Gourmand Breaks for france, Spain and Portugal? We are hoping to do a combined Spain and Portugal trip with them and I can't seem to find really any reviews except on their facebook page. It is a luxury travel agency specializing in food, wine and culture private tours. We are very interested and hope that someone has at least heard of them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing Spain/Portugal for our honeymoon and I didn't see anything for that agency in my research. You may want to do some deeper investigating or pick a different agency.
  • I googled the agency and saw they are located in Spain. However, I did see they are ASTA members. So, they are somehow tied into the American market. I would maybe contact them and see what they can provide and then perhaps contact an agent that specializes in that area that is based here in the US just to see the pricing is close. Often times, small outfits overseas, like this one, charge you in Euros and unless you have a CC that has zero foreign transaction fees, you'll be bit up with a lot of extra costs.

• alm&mdm said:
    We are doing Spain/Portugal for our honeymoon and I didn't see anything for that agency in my research. You may want to do some deeper investigating or pick a different agency.
    Would you mind sending me some information that you found?  We are very interested in going but really want to have a set itinerary before we book with anyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2014
    @Jells2dot0 Thank you!!  Thats true I did not even think of all of the CC fees.  I recently got hit with a few from a trip to Costa Rica last year.  Now that I look over their proposal it is in Euros!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @dianammobilio I didn't save any detailed info on agencies. I just remembered that name never popping up. I was more so looking at where tours generally went, in what order and how many days they needed. We just used it a way to decide what cities to go to and how the timeline needed to lay out.  We book through American Express so I wasn't worried about the quality of agencies.

I'd be happy to share our working itinerary but you'd have to keep in mind we designed it to our likes and it's a pretty long trip.

• Any reason you have to use a travel agent?  Spain and Portugal seems like a pretty simple trip to plan yourself- research the restaurants/wine/tours you are most interested in!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel so boring in comparison to all of you lol. We are going to DisneyWorld for our HM. I love Disney and FI has never been there. Its all booked and paid for. I cant wait to go!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • No particular reason I just thought it would be easier.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel so boring in comparison to all of you lol. We are going to DisneyWorld for our HM. I love Disney and FI has never been there. Its all booked and paid for. I cant wait to go!
    Don't feel bad, Disney is apparently the #1 HM destination in the US!  :)

• @peaseblosson55   Very cool, what areas will you visit?  I spent some time in the rain forest at an eco lodge in 2005 and really enjoyed it.
    Just saw this now we are stay at a resort on Ambergris Caye and then at another resort in the interior rain forest area.  Can't wait!

Anniversary

• 16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    All right, planning has begun! We are thinking of four or five days at Caneel Bay in St. John (FI hasn't been; I have) and then four or five somewhere in the BVI. Recommendations always appreciated for the BVI portion! 
  • @16maybeless  we are doing St. John, too!  Neither of us has been...got any tips for us? We are staying at gallows point resort b.c we got a deal on that combined with flight...but any places we should check out/things to do?
  • St. John is a gorgeous island! Cruz Bay is great for dining and shopping (small scale shopping.) St. John has many hidden beaches so just get a taxi and enjoy exploring a new shore every day!

• @Jells, thanks! That was one of our questions--how easy it was to get around and if we should rent a car or do taxis.  We are pretty happy just sitting somewhere in the sun and doing nothing, but doing it on a few different beaches while we are there sounds pretty awesome.  

My FH had never been beyond Chicago until this year (we live near Boston) and we got engaged in Hawaii and now going to St. John's for the HM...he's a lucky guy, ha! 
  • It's pretty easy to catch a taxi IMO. Renting a car can be a bit of a pain for a few reasons- lack of gas stations, expensive gas, and driving on the other side of the road! The steering wheel is on the "normal" US side (left), but you drive on the left! So, even though the taxi seemed expensive, to me it was worth the hassle of not having to worry about a car.

• @Jells good to know! Taxis help free us up to enjoy an extra cocktail or two, too...a definite HM plus.
  • 16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    @16maybeless  we are doing St. John, too!  Neither of us has been...got any tips for us? We are staying at gallows point resort b.c we got a deal on that combined with flight...but any places we should check out/things to do?
    Definitely the beaches. It's a bit calmer and more subdued than St. Thomas. 

If you like sailing, I can't recommend Sail St. John enough. The captain, Greg, is wonderful and informative. They have sunset cruises as well as half- and full-day and they leave from Caneel Bay. You can also do Honeymoon Beach at Caneel Bay, which is the only one open to the public. From there, I think you can take kayaking tours and other excursions.

Cruz Bay is a fun little town. Definitely worth exploring!
  • @16maybeless thank you for the tips!! We definitely want to do a sail, so we will sign up with Sail St. John on your rec! We both love anything to do with the water, so that is a must do.

I am definitely so excited for the wedding...but oooooooh SO excited for the honeymoon! :)  
    Just saw this now we are stay at a resort on Ambergris Caye and then at another resort in the interior rain forest area.  Can't wait!
    Me too, just seeing the reply now.  Sounds awesome. I'd love to return and enjoy the coast. I don' t know if this is your cup of tea, but look up the Black Hole drop.  It was the first time I ever did something like that, and I'm afraid of heights.  It was the highlight of my trip :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards