Registry and Gift Forum

Too many items on registry?

Does anyone else worry that they have too many items on their registries? We've got 120 items roughly (counting wine glasses as 1 thing - even though we want 10, etc.), with 100 families invited. We're also having two showers. This is totally a brat post, but I've found myself oddly attached to the things listed and feel it hard to delete anything! What is that about? You'd think I'd die if I didn't get our matching shams or those biscuit cutters... I of course don't feel entitled to any of these things, but feel like I'd have a better chance of getting complete sets of items if I narrowed our lists down. Do any of you obsess about this stuff? I feel so greedy for even thinking about it!!

Re: Too many items on registry?

• I wouldn't really worry about the number of items but rather the cost of the items.  Do you have a wide variety of prices?  Also remember that some guests will purchase more then one item depending on the cost.  Like if you had wine glasses and a wine holder I would probably buy you 4 of your 10 wine glasses, the wine holder and then get you a bottle of wine.  Same with kitchen utensils where they are only a few bucks per piece and someone may buy you 10 pieces.

• I agree with Maggie: some people will purchase more than one item. 

No need to worry about it if you have a good variety and lots of price points.  If there is a lot left over, that just means you can have fun with your completion discount.

• Thanks for your reply! I definitely think we have a wide variety of prices...80% of our items are under $50 and we've got a good amount in the $50 - $150 range and even a few above $250 for group gifts. I'm definitely someone that likes to finish sets for other people when shopping their registries or I like to do gifts like the one you described...wine glasses, wine holder, bottle of wine, etc. I guess I'm just surprised at how ridiculously obsessed I am with the whole registry thing. I think a large part of it is 90% of the things on our lists are "want" items rather than need. So it's like getting a gift card to a store and being torn over what you want most. Like I said, bratty haha.
  • I think you are fine with what you have described.

I was in a similar situation where we didn't "need" a lot but there was a lot I wanted. It was interesting to see what was bought and what was left after the wedding.  We invited 36 families and I had one shower (where most people bought off registry) so most of our stuff was bought with gift cards we got for Christmas before the wedding and with money we received as gifts.  It was still fun to go shopping at Macy's and blow a bunch of "free money" on our Calphalon set and our china.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • As a guest I've been disappointed when there werent any registry items left in my price range so I registered for a lot as well--also having two showers with different families in different states. Yours sounds fine. And yeah, we don't exactly need those Le Creuset baking dishes but they'd sure be awesome to have if we got them!
  • I have noticed that guests tend to purchase in the $50 and up price range, depending on what the item is of course.  It is more likely that you will receive and $80 wine decanter than your normal cooking utensils.  You will most likely have the very inexpensive items left on the registry.  The exception would be if someone were to purchase all of your cooking utensils or make basket of baking items.  Most showers that I have gone to people have purchased the more expensive items.  This could obviously change depending on your crowd but I would not worry about putting expensive things on your registry as long as there is enough items in the $40-$100 range.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What sort of off-registry items did you get for your shower? :)
  • Aray82 said:
    As a guest I've been disappointed when there werent any registry items left in my price range so I registered for a lot as well--also having two showers with different families in different states. Yours sounds fine. And yeah, we don't exactly need those Le Creuset baking dishes but they'd sure be awesome to have if we got them!
    I was actually annoyed the other day because I sought out a coworker's son's registry to mail a small gift (not attending the wedding, just wanted to do something thoughtful) and all the little stuff was gone.  :(

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What sort of off-registry items did you get for your shower? :)

@ladybird29 I'm assuming this was meant for me, but even if it wasn't here are some of the off-registry items I received.

From my Mom: four seasonal weaths for our front door made at her favorite florist shop (that I also adore and shop at when I'm home).  My favorite is the spring, it is a metal basket with a flat back that hangs by a ribbon and is filled with silk tulips.

From my sister: a light cherry wood laser engraved sign (from Etsy) that says "The 'X' Family est. January 25, 2014".  It is beautiful and we used it at the wedding as a photo prop and put it on our sweetheart table.

From my MIL: She is making us a scrapbook and she had already worked on some pages (minus the photos) and gave it to me so I could see the progress.  She is a wonderful scrapbooker and she did a wonderful job.  She also bought me a Longaberger watermelon bowl/basket.  The outside of the basket is striped like the outside of a watermelon and the inside is red with painted seeds.  It came with a clear glass bowl so you can put stuff in it without ruining the actual basket.  Watermelon is my FAVORITE fruit and the bowl is not something I would have picked out but I adore it.

From my "Grandma" (really just a close family friend): She gave me her mother's mink stole that I was going to borrow for the wedding. (See my siggie pic)  She couldn't attend the shower or wedding due to her health, but she wanted me to have it.  I cried like a baby.

I received a few other things like picture frames and a Thirty-One bag with my new last name on it.

After going off registry for the shower my Mom, MIL and sister bought registry items for me for Christmas.  lol

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards