Attire & Accessories Forum

Gowns with a finger loop - not bustled?

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with a gown with a finger loop to hold up the train, as opposed to having a bustle done? I don't really like how a bustle usually changes the look of the dress, and was hoping that this finger loop would be enough to keep it under control.

Any advice would be awesome.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gowns with a finger loop - not bustled?

• I paid to have a bustle done on my gown.  However, my seamstress botched it, and the bustle wouldn't hold, so I was stuck using the "loop" to keep my dress off the ground all day. 

It SUCKED.  It was so incredibly annoying to have to lug that damn thing around all day. 

Yes, the bustle changes the look of your gown, but, when you're walking around chit-chatting to people, giving hugs, trying to eat (thus trying to get your train out of the way when you want to just SIT DOWN), juggling your wine glass, going to the bathroom...it's just unfun.

I was SO disappointed my bustle didn't hold.
  • Yes a bustle does change the look of the dress, but if done correctly it helps to highlight the shape and accents of the dress.  I find that when brides carry around their train with a wrist loop it just looks weird and uncomfortable.

I had a bustle in my dress and with how heavy my train was, carrying that sucker around on a loop would have sucked.  Not to mention getting in the way when I was trying to hug people or eat or drink.

I also find that a loop makes the dress look worse because typically the top pretty layers of the dress fall back and the under layers which are not so pretty and mainly for construction of the dress are what most will see.

• My SIL did the finger loop. It was a total pain in the ass and every time people hugged her, she ended up with the dress wrapped around their backs, or she could only one arm hug them.  And she looked uncomfortable holding the thing up all day.

• Thanks ladies. I'll have to see about what my options for bustling. My dress is a very light lace (Sophia Tolli's Allanah), so I'm not worried about the weight so much.

But, I'd rather not be annoyed the whole time, so you've all made me rethink this.

'Very appreciated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• That dress would be nice with a side bustle.  And the bustle could be hooked right below the blingy embellishment.

Work with your seamstress to see what works best and looks best with your dress.

Also, I really love that dress and the delicate lace work.

• Me too, Maggie.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• hnkirk81hnkirk81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2014
    @TeddiD34 I also have an Allanah, and my seamstress just finished the bustle! It's a little different, not a traditional bustle. She took the lace and gathered it with 5 or 6 loops and buttons on the side just under the appliqué, then did 3 or 4 rings on the tulle layer underneath that are tied with ribbon just underneath the lace, and then a third layer for the polyester under that. It turned out great , and is not nearly as complicated as I just made it sound. I'd be happy to send you pictures after I pick it up in a couple weeks. ETA: I mixed up the order of my layers
  • @doeydo - That's pretty and romantic but really is a fairytale!   Well, to me at least.  :D  The reality is, I would've been miserable if I had to carry my dress all night. I am not a fan of most types of bustles either.  In the end, my seamstress was able to do one that actually accented the detail on my train.  It was beautiful, held up all night, and allowed me to be "free" dancing, eating, walking around, etc.
  • If you love the look of the finger loop, maybe do it for pictures and your first dance, then have someone tie up the bustle. I think it would have been a huge PITA to have had to carry my dress all night.
  • cruffino said:
    If you love the look of the finger loop, maybe do it for pictures and your first dance, then have someone tie up the bustle. I think it would have been a huge PITA to have had to carry my dress all night.

Yup, this is exactly what I'll end up doing. We're having pics done all over a university campus, so this will work nicely.

Thank you all :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• JoanE2012 said:
    @doeydo - That's pretty and romantic but really is a fairytale!   Well, to me at least.  :D  The reality is, I would've been miserable if I had to carry my dress all night. I am not a fan of most types of bustles either.  In the end, my seamstress was able to do one that actually accented the detail on my train.  It was beautiful, held up all night, and allowed me to be "free" dancing, eating, walking around, etc.
    Do you have any pics of this? I don't know if our dresses are similar, but I'm interested in seeing a bustle for non-bustle fans.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Here's a picture of my bustle - it's matching the lace lines on top of each other.

image   image   image

• @sugargirl1019 That's totally what I now had in mind! Thanks for the pic.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    You're welcome! My seamstress said the dress "told her" how it needed to be bustled. I didn't get a say haha. There are actually 5 points on the train pinned onto 3 buttons. 3 gatherings of the train are on the center one, and then one on the right, one on the left. Confusing. But as long as my dress is off the ground and stays up, great.

ETA: American bustle is like mine, with it on top. A French bustle is pinned underneath.

image   image   image

• You're welcome! My seamstress said the dress "told her" how it needed to be bustled. I didn't get a say haha. There are actually 5 points on the train pinned onto 3 buttons. 3 gatherings of the train are on the center one, and then one on the right, one on the left. Confusing. But as long as my dress is off the ground and stays up, great. ETA: American bustle is like mine, with it on top. A French bustle is pinned underneath.
    haha, I had no say either!  I had done all kinds of research on bustles beforehand and had one picked out that I really liked.  Then when I went in for fittings, my seamstress said there was only one way she could do to make it look nice.  I was disappointed at first, but it worked out in the end!
  • Here's my bustle, @TeddiD34. There's also close ups of each layer - lace, tulle, and poly-whatever.
  • I can see why people like the bustles, and I can see why people like the loops. I didnt want either, so I had my dress made without the train so I don't have to deal with it.
  • Thanks so much, @hnkirk81

That's perfect! I really appreciate that :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My cousin did the finger loop for her wedding, she said it was her biggest regret of the entire day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @HobokenBride2012 that's what I needed to hear to make up my mind. Finger loop is a lovely idea in theory, but obviously just not practical!

Thank you

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards