October 2014 Weddings

Wedding Hair

Has anyone thought about how they want their hair done? I have always wanted to do down or half up style but my photographer and a few friends have suggested an updo bc when taking pics outside an updo will hold up with the wind vs down or half up styles. Now I'm thinking maybe side ponytail (see attached pic)? I have always wanted a braid somewhere in my hair as well! What does everyone else think about that theory down vs up?

Re: Wedding Hair

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I haven't decided yet. I just bought some hair extensions that I'll bring to my hair trial in July because my hair is super super fine and has a less than average amount of body. Basically...my hair just ends up looking slicked back against my head whenever I have it in an updo or half updo and it just falls flat after awhile in a total downdo.

I would research your face shape to see what looks would best complement it. For me, I know that long bangs or curls framing my face helps to accentuate it and look really pretty. I don't know how well the theory holds that your hair will hold up better in an updo versus half up/half down or all down. My sister did a half up/half down do for her wedding and it held up well all night long and looked beautiful in pictures. My hair was in an updo and was definitely falling out by the time we were doing our toasts. I think it all depends on your texture and how good of a job your hairstylist does in making the hair hold. I guess this is why hair trials are super important...you need to see how well the hairstyle holds in YOUR hair all day long.

• Has anyone thought about how they want their hair done? I have always wanted to do down or half up style but my photographer and a few friends have suggested an updo bc when taking pics outside an updo will hold up with the wind vs down or half up styles. Now I'm thinking maybe side ponytail (see attached pic)? I have always wanted a braid somewhere in my hair as well! What does everyone else think about that theory down vs up?
    my god that's beautiful!!!!
    I know for me, I want it up so that it's no fuss for the day -especially if it's windy :)
  • I thought I knew what I wanted, but that picture may have changed my mind! That is really beautiful.
  • I was convinced that I wanted a side-do. Something similar to the picture you have. But then I started to wonder if that wouldn't look right with a veil!? Will you be wearing a veil? If you say yes, it might make me feel better about doing the same thing. Otherwise, I think I might do a half up-do. 
  • I would love to wear my hair down, but I have thin hair AND I am constantly playing with my hair. So for the sake of me not messing it up by touching it I will have to do an up-do. 

See what works for you. Maybe you can do multiple hair trials?
  • Yes I plan on wearing a veil...but not sure how it will look with this kind of style either? Maybe I will just play around with it I guess. I have a really round face and so I hate putting my hair up and back. I feel like with a style like this you almost get the best of both worlds up and down!
  • I'm feeling the same way. I would never consider an updo, and I am afraid a half updo will end up looking messy, so I felt that the side do was also the best option, but still not sure!
  • mst08mst08 member
    First Comment
    I was thinking of doing extensions in my hair for the big day also....any suggestions on where to purchase them?
  • I really like this style, but we'll see if I change my mind after a trial.

• I love this style but I'm not sure what I'm doing yet.

Anniversary
  • Any October brides with short hair having a hard time finding potential styles? I have a medium length bob and want my hair half-up somehow but can't really find much inspiration!

Waterfall braid for short hair

• When is everyone's trials? And are you only going to one place, or trying a couple?
  • My really good friend is my hairdresser and she is really good at what she does. I'm really not too picky. I just want it up and out of the way. So I'll probably go over her house with a bottle (or three) of wine and have her mess around until we find what works best. 

• @hkda2003 I am going to do mine probably in June when I do my engagement pictures and then another one for my bridal shower. that's also when im doing my makeup trial also
  • I have no idea what to do with my hair. My mom thinks it would look good up, but I want it down, but then there is the issue of wind or something messing it up. Plus I need to find an affordable hairdresser too!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • hkda2003 said:
    When is everyone's trials? And are you only going to one place, or trying a couple?
    Well we'll be going to our wedding destination (Napa) for Fi's birthday (April 13), so since we'll be in the area (and going to a fancy dinner) I'll probably do a trial then. I will probably just go to one place. I'm really just using the trial as an excuse to have my hair and make up done for our nice dinner. :)
  • @trishnuk8 - I love that!  That is what I am planning for also.  I wanted to have my hair down, or only half-up, but with the dress that I have, I think that the back is one of the most beautiful parts of the dress and I decided it would be best to have my hair up and out of the way. 

My trial won't be until September - so I hope it goes well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I usually wear my 'everyday hair' 2 ways: Pompadour with a mess bun or side part, front of hair rolled back on either side and the rest down. Is it okay to stick to one of these styles (but more polished) or go for a classic hair style like Trishnuk8?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lowell14 said:
    I usually wear my 'everyday hair' 2 ways: Pompadour with a mess bun or side part, front of hair rolled back on either side and the rest down. Is it okay to stick to one of these styles (but more polished) or go for a classic hair style like Trishnuk8?
    It is definitely ok to go with a polished version of your usual hairstyle.  I will probably be going with a style that is pretty "normal" for me and just upping the fancy factor with a hair accessory.  I considered doing something more complex but when I practiced them, I didn't feel like they looked like me.  I will most likely being wearing my hair down with bangs, add a headband and a little volume at the roots.  I haven't decided if I will straighten it and just curl the ends or wear it curly.  
  • labrolabro member
    edited May 2014

I had my hair and makeup trial on Saturday! In love with my hair but I have a long list of notes for my MUA artist for next time. I'm actually somewhat dissatisfied with what she did and I plan to talk to the salon's wedding consultant about it because I don't want to come across as bridezillaish on my wedding day.image

• I'm doing a version of a side pony as well. Instead of a veil I'm using a headpiece i found on etsy. I want the details at the the nape of my neck to show but dont want a complete updo. http://www.etsy.com/listing/89653655/bridal-hair-vine-made-with-rhinestones?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm doing a half up half down. I'm wearing a finger length veil but I will probably take it out for the reception. 

• Colormekaylee, this is one of the pictures I'm bringing with me to my trial as well!! 

• I had my hair and makeup trial on Saturday! In love with my hair but I have a long list of notes for my MUA artist for next time. I'm actually somewhat dissatisfied with what she did and I plan to talk to the salon's wedding consultant about it because I don't want to come across as bridezillaish on my wedding day.image

@LaPeanut1018 would you mind if I used your hair trial photo to bring to my trial? I think it would really suit my dress :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • labrolabro member

Sure! I used these photos from Pinterest for my hair inspiration if it helps!imageimage

• smalfrie19smalfrie19 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014

I had picked out some intricate braided styles and showed them to my stylist, then a few weeks ago I found an "elsa braid" tutorial on pintrest and tagged her in it and I think that's what we are going to go with to subtly incorporate my love of Disney and Frozen.

ETA, I have white hydrangea bobby pins and seed pearl pins to go in the braid since I am not wearing a veil.

Anniversary
  • I just had my hair trial. It came out amazing. Didn't take to long, its pretty basic and most of all its comfortable! I don't have the headband or the veil yet (they're ordered) but my hairdresser kept them in mind when doing my hair. 
  • So I have a cathedral veil that I plan on taking off after the ceremony so.......I feel like I'm thinking too much into it but I feel like I need to accommodate the veil now =( I need a do that will look great with it on and off.....

• So I have a cathedral veil that I plan on taking off after the ceremony so.......I feel like I'm thinking too much into it but I feel like I need to accommodate the veil now =( I need a do that will look great with it on and off.....
    That was my big thing. If I don't want to wear the veil all night I want it to be able to easily be removed and still look nice. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards