Registry and Gift Forum

Intimate wedding - still register?

Fi and I are planning and intimate wedding of immediate family only (<10 people). I am declining all showers and parties (obviously), but we are planning on sending wedding announcements.

While I obviously don't expect any gifts (and would honestly prefer none), should we register anyway?

I know that receiving a wedding announcement isn't a call for "send me a gift!", but am thinking that some family members may want to. I will probably pull the "oh how thoughtful! Well there isn't anything we need and are just saving up for ...", but I'm wondering if this may frustrate some people? I don't want to go through the hassle of registering and having it be unneeded, but I don't want to not and then end up with random nick-nacks from family. :/

Re: Intimate wedding - still register?

• I would do a small one that people could just look up online/ask you about if they wanted to. You may still get random knick knacks but at least you'll know it wasn't for lack of registering. I always like having the registry option as a guest.
  • Aray82 said:

I would do a small one that people could just look up online/ask you about if they wanted to. You may still get random knick knacks but at least you'll know it wasn't for lack of registering. I always like having the registry option as a guest.

We're having <10 guests though (just my parents, his parents, and his sister+Fi's BiL). I imagine, if anything, they'll give us cash (as they are apt to do for Christmas and such).

But I have NO clue how our extended families will respond (like if they'd send a check, a gift, or just a card). :/
  • I don't think I'd do a registry for under 10 people.

Anniversary
  • I wouldn't, especially if you'd prefer not to receive gifts. If people really want to give you something, they'll send a check or pick something they think you'll like.
  • I wouldn't unless people started asking about it.  
  •    I'm only having 17-20 people and I did a small registry at Macy's to get the Star Rewards and the completion discount. I am not having any showers and since my wedding is a destination I don't expect gifts from my guests. It is tradition in my extended family to send a small gift even if not invited to a small wedding. We like to Shop and give gifts! However, it is not expected at all. 

So I mostly registered for the discounts. If anyone looks me up just to side-eye the fact I have a registry for a small wedding, well, so be it. Just because we have a registry doesn't mean they have to get us anything and it's mere existence isn't hurting anyone or breaking any etiquette rules. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards