Registry and Gift Forum

Is this a thing?

So I was looking up my registry to log into so I could fix something, and when I typed my name in, a list of people with similar names pop up. They also state which type of registry it is, and I noticed some are for house warming parties, and some for college/univeristy. I am puzzled, people actually register for those type of events? (Not trying to be snarky, I just have never heard of that before.)

Thoughts? Would you side eye something like that?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is this a thing?

• Some people will use any excuse to scream BUY ME STUFF!!!  I have heard of registering for a house warming (but I don't approve).  I've never heard of registering for college stuff.  That is what your graduation money should be for.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I think it is fine to resister for housewarmings and graduation, assuming that's what college/university is referring to. I didn't register for either, but i wouldn't side eye either.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I was just curious lol I was thinking it was unusual as I have never heard of it. I would agree with you about college money going towards it, but if you got presents at a grad party I wouldn't think it bad. I got a cooking griddle at mine and money. I just didn't know people registered for it. Housewarming either. Im out of the loop. I would never do either though, but thats just me. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• That's not done where I live, but to each their own, I guess! LOL
  • Some stores have started doing general registries.  It's a way for them to make more money.  People take advantage of them.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ahh I see, haha. I could see how people could do that, I just have never seen that done. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think BBB does a college registry where you can pick the purchased items up at a location close to the college to avoid having to schlep the stuff from your parents' house to school at the start.   To me, that makes sense, logistically, but my mom would never have let me register for college dorm stuff.   Also, BBB trieds to sell a lot of crap to college students they don't need. 

A housewarming registry gets a side eye from me as well.

• Housewarming registry...eh....

I think College registry would be kind of nice for like high school graduatuion presents.

I know working at Toys R Us years ago we had birthday registries.  It was kind of nice for those class birthday parties where parents really didn't know their kids friends well enough to buy a gift.  We did remind the parents to try and keep the gifts at like $10 or under.  Some kids went nuts with video games and the more expensive toys.

• Housewarming registry...eh....

I think College registry would be kind of nice for like high school graduatuion presents.

I know working at Toys R Us years ago we had birthday registries.  It was kind of nice for those class birthday parties where parents really didn't know their kids friends well enough to buy a gift.  We did remind the parents to try and keep the gifts at like $10 or under.  Some kids went nuts with video games and the more expensive toys.

I went back to look and I saw ones for that and like retirement and was just a little surprised. I think all in all giving gifts is fine, but just never knew people did that other than wedding ones and baby shower ones.

I think BBB does a college registry where you can pick the purchased items up at a location close to the college to avoid having to schlep the stuff from your parents' house to school at the start.   To me, that makes sense, logistically, but my mom would never have let me register for college dorm stuff.   Also, BBB trieds to sell a lot of crap to college students they don't need. 

A housewarming registry gets a side eye from me as well.

Yeah, it honestly would from me too. Like, I don't think I need to buy stuff for HW, wedding maybe, but HW? No. You'll get a nice bottle of wine from me, but not a new couch or toaster. (If that's what they even reg. for with HW party.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I was invited to a party for a friend's daughter who had broken up with her long time boyfriend and had created a registry to get stuff for her new apartment....  She had been living with boyfriend and when they broke up she didn't take anything.

I don't mean to be rude but registries are for weddings and babies in my opinion.
    Anniversary
  • Yeah, that does seem odd. I personally wouldn't buy anything off of it as it's not my responsibility to fill your home.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ShellD13 said:
    I was invited to a party for a friend's daughter who had broken up with her long time boyfriend and had created a registry to get stuff for her new apartment....  She had been living with boyfriend and when they broke up she didn't take anything.

I don't mean to be rude but registries are for weddings and babies in my opinion.
    I would buy her some Ben & Jerry's, some wine and a gift card for Redbox.   That's all the support for a break up you get.    
  • ShellD13 said:
    I was invited to a party for a friend's daughter who had broken up with her long time boyfriend and had created a registry to get stuff for her new apartment....  She had been living with boyfriend and when they broke up she didn't take anything.

I would buy her some Ben & Jerry's, some wine and a gift card for Redbox.   That's all the support for a break up you get.    
    I would be so excited to have received this from a friend after a breakup!
  • TilaT25 said:
    ShellD13 said:

I would be so excited to have received this from a friend after a breakup!
    That would be awesome! Support is the best, all other stuff is a very nice gesture!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

•     You could just have an Amazon wish list. isn't that kind of like a personal registry? In my family we buy things off our Amazon lists all the time for gift giving occasions. I have housewares on there, mostly kitchen gadgets I want to play with. Our wedding registry has more practical stuff. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards