Not Engaged Yet

Ask Me Anything!

Hey Ladies!! I would like to apologize for being totally MIA lately. Ever since I started my new job I haven't been able to access TK at work (and even if I could I don't think I would because they would be pissed, and I'm super busy most of the time). BUT - I have been trying to lurk every now and then on my phone. Today I have ANOTHER snow day, so I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to play with me? 

Re: Ask Me Anything!

• What are you wearing today?

Why are you so pretty?

• If you had to move and you could live anywhere you wanted, where would you go?
  • Swazzle said:
    What are you wearing today?

Why are you so pretty?
    I am wearing black pajama pants, mismatched socks, and my Packers hoodie. Gotta love staying on the couch all day!

I am so pretty because. . . . I dunno? Good genes? I always get a ton of compliments on my eyes, so maybe that? You're sweet for saying so <3 
  • If you had to move and you could live anywhere you wanted, where would you go?
    That is a tough question!! My DH and I have already talked about moving to Fort Collins, CO after my current fellowship is over. But if I was all alone, I would want to live by the ocean, but I'm not sure about east or west coast. Definitely in the US though! Sorry that's not a good answer. 
  • When are we going to hang out?
  • When are we going to hang out?
    I don't know!! We need to talk about that. . . I can't believe we still haven't :(  Are you still committed to your grad program though the end of this year? 
  • Swazzle said:
    CASK85 said:
    Swazzle said:
    What are you wearing today?

Why are you so pretty?
    I am wearing black pajama pants, mismatched socks, and my Packers hoodie. Gotta love staying on the couch all day!

I am so pretty because. . . . I dunno? Good genes? I always get a ton of compliments on my eyes, so maybe that? You're sweet for saying so <3 

Sorry..... couldn't resist :)

• Technically, I'm still committed.  I'm spending half my time writing now and the other half running westerns/treating the mice.  I'm going to defend at the end of summer, so the actual graduation is in December.  That way, I can say I'm "done" in September but still be considered a student.  I applied for a science writing internship so I'm hoping to hear back from that soon.  I'm going to my last conference as a student this weekend *tear tear*
  • Do you miss Chicago?

Where are you taking your next vacation?

• Favorite quote?
    Favorite thing about h?
    Favorite comfort food?
    Fave song at the moment?
    Song you wish would die?
  • Now...what is your favorite part about your life as a post-doc?
  • minskat30 said:

Do you miss Chicago?

Where are you taking your next vacation?

I do miss Chicago! Not the weather. . . but I miss being in the city (I am more in the 'burbs here, and I don't have a car). And I miss my friends. And the lake. 

I do not know even WHEN my next vacation will be, let alone where. I'm going back to Chi-town to participate in graduation in June, which will be a mini-vacation. 
  • Favorite quote? Favorite thing about h? Favorite comfort food? Fave song at the moment? Song you wish would die?
    Favorite quote (this is hard) but I like this one: The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become. --Charles Du Bos
    Favorite thing about DH is his loving personality. It is actually kinds hard for me to come up with something else right now b/c he's in kinda a bad place. 
    My favorite comfort food is soup. And also brownies. 
    Fave song at the moment is "The Man" by Aloe Blacc. 
    Song I wish would die. . . Anything by Miley Cyrus. 
  • Now...what is your favorite part about your life as a post-doc?
    This job isn't a traditional post-doc. So I will say that my favorite part of my new life is having free time. I pretty much work only 8 hours a day. I have hours in the evening for myself now, and I LOVE it!
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Best piece of advice for people working on a PhD? Multiple pieces of advice are of course highly encouraged, but one piece of advice is sufficient :)
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • phira said:
    Best piece of advice for people working on a PhD? Multiple pieces of advice are of course highly encouraged, but one piece of advice is sufficient :)
    Quit ;) I'm totally kidding!

My best piece of advice would be to make sure you don't define yourself entirely by your work. If you do that you will destroy your self worth when things don't go well with your research. Also, read as many papers as you reasonably can while you go along - this will make writing your thesis a lot easier. Finally, start thinking about what you want to do for a career now, and do things that will help bolster your resume/CV and contacts for the future job you want. 
  • What do you love about the DC area? What do you hate?

How are you spending your snow day?

Reading anything good, and/or recently seen any good movies?

• What do you love about the DC area? What do you hate?

How are you spending your snow day?

Reading anything good, and/or recently seen any good movies?

So far, I don't think I love anything. That is entirely my fault - I just haven't gotten out enough. I hate how much people overreact about weather. 

I'm spending my snow day on the couch. I worked out this morning, then filled out my NCAA bracket. Since then I've just been vegging out. The house is relatively clean and the laundry is done, so I'm being lazy.

The most recent book I read was White Fire, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (my favorite authors). I liked it, although I figured out who the killer was pretty early on, which almost never happens with their books. I haven't watched any good movies lately :( I'm DYING to see Dallas Buyers Club though.
  • CASK85 said:
    So far, I don't think I love anything. That is entirely my fault - I just haven't gotten out enough. I hate how much people overreact about weather. 

You mean people in other states DON'T flip out and have a meltdown every time there's an inch of snow on the ground? *Gasp*

• CASK85 said:
    If you had to move and you could live anywhere you wanted, where would you go?
    That is a tough question!! My DH and I have already talked about moving to Fort Collins, CO after my current fellowship is over. But if I was all alone, I would want to live by the ocean, but I'm not sure about east or west coast. Definitely in the US though! Sorry that's not a good answer. 
    Interesting choice! Why FoCo? 

nd toilet paper - over or under?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards