Registry and Gift Forum

When to open gifts & say thanks

Hi, I think my wedding shower is in the next month or 40 days or so. I've received a few gifts in the mail and opened them. So a few questions
1- Should I have opened them?
2- When do I send a thank you? Immediately?
3- How much time to do I have to send a thank you card?

Re: When to open gifts & say thanks

• Yep, open them to check that everything is as it should be and send your thank you card ASAP. 

Etiquette suggests that you shouldn't use the gifts yet because if your wedding gets called off, you'll need to return them. But I didn't follow that guideline.
  • Ditto Emmy. And don't assume they are shower gifts if they don't specifically say they are shower gifts, they are probably wedding gifts. :-)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I agree with PPs about timing and thank you notes.

I just wanted to add- I sent something to someone last week for their mid-late June wedding.  We are going to be really busy, and just opted to send it now.. otherwise I might forget AND we'd be paying double shipping.  I am not invited to the shower (and I would be confused if I was).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got a couple more gifts and they didn't indicate if they were for the shower or not, and I don't know if they are coming to the shower either (it's my aunt from out of state). They wrote it from both my aunt and uncle, with no mention of wedding or shower. What do I put in the invite, and should I send the thank you right away?
  •  

I got a couple more gifts and they didn't indicate if they were for the shower or not, and I don't know if they are coming to the shower either (it's my aunt from out of state). They wrote it from both my aunt and uncle, with no mention of wedding or shower. What do I put in the invite, and should I send the thank you right away?

Send the thank you note immediately but don't mention "shower" or "wedding" since you aren't sure if it is a shower gift or wedding gift.

Dear Aunt and Uncle, thank you so much for the lovely [gift] you sent.  FI and I are very much looking forward to using it after the wedding.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I've been getting some the past 2 weeks, but I don't have a shower (no pre-wedding events at all) so I've been opening them and sending out the thank you notes immediately. I set them in one corner of the room to use later on. I paid attention this time to the packing slips if it says something like "more items are coming in a separate shipment" or something like that. I waited until the other things from the same giver came in before sending a thank you note (I waited a few days to make sure nothing trickled in because I wasn't sure how many shipments they broke it down to).
  • I've been getting some the past 2 weeks, but I don't have a shower (no pre-wedding events at all) so I've been opening them and sending out the thank you notes immediately. I set them in one corner of the room to use later on. I paid attention this time to the packing slips if it says something like "more items are coming in a separate shipment" or something like that. I waited until the other things from the same giver came in before sending a thank you note (I waited a few days to make sure nothing trickled in because I wasn't sure how many shipments they broke it down to).

Good advice I'll have to remember this!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards