Chit Chat
Options

Post Engagement and Bridal Planning

The checklist from the knot keeps you on track with the wedding as an event, has anyone come across a checklist that keeps you aligned with your wedding as a document? The ceremony is a good start, but there is not a whole lot out there about your post wedding planning. I know the last thing you want to think about is the technicality of your wedding, especially after spending all that time on details. I just know I would like someone to put more information or add a category to the wedding planning process that covers post engagement and bridal. One issue ( which was my cause for this discussion), that I came across was getting your marriage license in one state and having your ceremony in a different state. I had planned on getting our marriage license 3 months before the wedding. That would fall in the checklist time frame of after engagement party and bridal shower activities, not really pre-wedding and too late for post wedding, of course depending on the ceremony. Our ceremony requires a marriage license before ceremony can proceed, and the marriage license could not be more than 90 days. Follow along in this discussion to offer more insight or learn more information about "Post Engagement & Bridal Planning". 

Re: Post Engagement and Bridal Planning

• Options
    In general, marriage licences don't travel across state lines in terms of issuing. If you're getting married in PA, you need a PA marriage licence.

Check with the clerk of courts where you're getting married.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Why can't you obtain a wedding license from the state you'll be married in?
  • Options
    Your post is confusing and I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but in the U.S., you need to get a marriage license in the state where you'll be married. Depending on the state, you might even need to get it in the same county. Also, be aware of waiting periods. For example, here in PA, a marriage license is good in any county in the state, but you have to wait three days to use it and it's only good for 60 days.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs.  I'm a little confused about what you need.  DH and live in North Carolina but were married in New York.  We got our marriage license in NY; we had to show identification, pay the fee and wait 24 hours.  The license itself was good for 60 days.

We did not attempt to get a marriage license in NC and bring it to NY; that license would not have been recognized as valid.  However, after our wedding, in order to change names, bank accounts, etc. we were able to show our NY marriage certificate at offices and businesses in NC.

You will need to plan to at least get your marriage license in the state in which you will be married; some locations require more specific - the county level or the city (such as in New York City and its boroughs).  Your best bet, if you have questions, is to call the city, town or county office where you will be married and ask what the marriage license requirements are.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Maxamille said:
    The checklist from the knot keeps you on track with the wedding as an event, has anyone come across a checklist that keeps you aligned with your wedding as a document? The ceremony is a good start, but there is not a whole lot out there about your post wedding planning. I know the last thing you want to think about is the technicality of your wedding, especially after spending all that time on details. I just know I would like someone to put more information or add a category to the wedding planning process that covers post engagement and bridal. One issue ( which was my cause for this discussion), that I came across was getting your marriage license in one state and having your ceremony in a different state. I had planned on getting our marriage license 3 months before the wedding. That would fall in the checklist time frame of after engagement party and bridal shower activities, not really pre-wedding and too late for post wedding, of course depending on the ceremony. Our ceremony requires a marriage license before ceremony can proceed, and the marriage license could not be more than 90 days. Follow along in this discussion to offer more insight or learn more information about "Post Engagement & Bridal Planning". 
    What?

• Options
    OP, if it's not giving you advice on how to proceed after getting "paper married" and then having your "real wedding" it's because that's called a PPD and it's and generally frowned upon.

Please come back to clarify!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That was incoherent. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm with Maggie......I read your whole question and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about or what you are asking. What the hell does "post engagment" mean? That would be married, so I don't know what questions you have about being married?

• Options
    Mag,
    Getting married in S.F at City Hall. You can't reserve for ceremony less than 90 days out, and you can only present your marriage license for ceremony if marriage license is less than 90 Days. I can get a marriage license in different county, and bring to the ceremony. The knot doesn't have vendors for S.F city hall. So much for helpful discussions? "Post Engagement" is the time between getting your marriage license and having your ceremony. You can't do one without the other in terms of "paper-work", hence a post engagement step.
  • Options
    Maxamille said:
    Mag,
    Getting married in S.F at City Hall. You can't reserve for ceremony less than 90 days out, and you can only present your marriage license for ceremony if marriage license is less than 90 Days. I can get a marriage license in different county, and bring to the ceremony. The knot doesn't have vendors for S.F city hall. So much for helpful discussions? "Post Engagement" is the time between getting your marriage license and having your ceremony. You can't do one without the other in terms of "paper-work", hence a post engagement step.

I need wedding service not planner.

• Options
    AprilH81AprilH81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Maxamille said:
    Mag,

That still makes no sense...  You are engaged for the whole time from the proposal until you actually get married. Unless you break up of course...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you would need vendors for at city hall. I have a friend who married his boyfriend there (in SF). They got the license, walked in, waited until their names were called, got married, then went out for lunch. There was nothing to plan other than what day they took off work to do it. That's about all they do there. If you want to carry flowers, you buy them elsewhere and bring them with you. There are no decorations. They don't play music. If you want a reception, you go somewhere else and have it. Is English maybe your second language? We're happy to help you, we just need to understand better what you need help with.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like there may be a language barrier here. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards