Registry and Gift Forum

Don't want/need certain items for gifts...how can I write this info on registry card?

So I do not need champagne flutes or a cake serving set (I am just going to use the venue's). They are not on the registry, but I do not want anyone to go out of their way to get these things from an engraving place or elsewhere. Was wondering what I could write on the registry cards to express this without being rude (or lying that they are family heirlooms or something). Thoughts?

Re: Don't want/need certain items for gifts...how can I write this info on registry card?

• Personally, I would never purchase something like that without either consulting the bride or being super freaking close to the bride. So I think you are okay there.

I would just spread it word of mouth that you already have those items taken care of.

Anniversary
  • JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
     I really don't think either of those items are things you should worry about receiving. I think anyone who would purchase those, would ask if you already had them. (As the majority of couples purchase that kind of thing themselves). 

Also, to tell people the things you don't want, is insinuating that you are expecting gifts. Of course, most, if not all guests, are likely going to bring gifts, but they are never to be expected. So you definitely wouldn't want to express, via registry card, what you don't want or need. You wouldn't be the first bride to return something you already had, or didn't need!

*J
  • I don't think this is a big concern, but you can add it to the registry and then mark it complete.  That way if someone was going to go that route they could see that someone already "bought" it.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I have seen these as sentimental types of shower gifts in the past from people who are close to the bride so I can see why you are thinking someone might think these are a good gift.   

The only thing you can do is use word of mouth.  For example, if an aunt or member of the bridal party asks about your venue you can say something like "It is great and includes so much helping us keep things simple.  We will even be able to use their toasting flutes and cake serving set which is a good idea since we are not the sentimental types that would want to have our own."

• What is a registry card?

If you don't want these things, don't register for them.  Random people are not going to try to pick out your wedding flutes without asking you.  
  • It's tacky as hell people what NOT to get you. You could just graciously accept any gift someone feels moved enough to buy you. That would be better than telling people what not to get you.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Thanks for all your input!
  • I agree this is a non-issue. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Agree with everyone in here. Those two specific things are usually personal, so if a random person presumes to buy that for you without consulting anyone than holy crap they might deserve that let-down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Liss0913 said:
    So I do not need champagne flutes or a cake serving set (I am just going to use the venue's). They are not on the registry, but I do not want anyone to go out of their way to get these things from an engraving place or elsewhere. Was wondering what I could write on the registry cards to express this without being rude (or lying that they are family heirlooms or something). Thoughts?
    What do you mean by registry cards? Your registry information should not be listed anywhere on your invitations or in an insert.

I agree with PP- this is a non issue. Just as with any gift in any situation, graciously accept one that is given to you regardless of how you truly feel and write a prompt thank you note. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards