Connecticut

Where did you buy your wedding invitations and were you pleased with them?

My fiancé and I are trying to decide where we can find affordable invitations that are good quality.  We are sort of on a bit of a time crunch (They need to arrive by April 25th). 

I've looked at vistaprint and while the invitations are very reasonable, they are not what we are looking for. 

I looked at wedding paper divas, and they have about 15 affordable designs but we didn't like any of them.  (haha)  the rest seem pricey...is that what you all think, too?

So now we're looking at David's Bridal Invitations.  And considering going to Jen Strunk to see what they would cost & how the quality is.

Soooo...where did you buy your invitations and were you pleased with the quality, the price, and the delivery time frame?
Thanks!

Re: Where did you buy your wedding invitations and were you pleased with them?

• i used smitten on paper and they were totally amazing.  people have called, emailed, and texted just to remark on how stunning my invites were.  

SOP allowed me to combine several different designs, and totally customize every piece.  they were a bit pricey compared to wedding paper divas and vistaprint, but that's because they are a premium stationer.  i did not find the samples from the other sites impressive.
  • I used Jen and I was very pleased and received lots of compliments, but if you're looking for budget/"affordable" invitations I'm not sure that hiring a designer will be the right option for you.

That's not to say she's expensive.  Her prices (IMO) are reasonable.  But no designer is going to be able to compete with bargain basement Vistaprint.

Though on the other hand, Vistaprint's quality is reflected in its price.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Vistaprint will probably be your most affordable option though I had some issues with them when they printed our save the dates.

We had my graphic designer sister design our invitation suite and I used a local printer (Minuteman Press in Fairfield) to print them. For 130 invitations it cost $206 to print 4 pieces (2 of which were double sided) and our address on the response card envelopes. I purchased the card stock I wanted from Paper Source, but they do have paper options at Minuteman too. I just wanted to use the enclosures from Paper Source and wanted everything to match. All in, with the paper products, calligraphy for envelopes, stamps, printing and envelope liners it's costing us about $1,200. Which may seem like a lot, but if I had used Paper Source to print my invites it would have cost $1,200 alone just for printing.

• @ sheslikeasunburn

Which design did you use?  I'm on the website right now -- just curious.  Thanks!

• edited March 2014
    i did romance darling http://smittenonpaper.com/romance-darling-wedding-invitations.html as the front (fonts, shape of invite, etc) BUT upgraded to golf foil stamping which doubled the price.  for the back design i did the same one as in spring love: http://smittenonpaper.com/spring-love-wedding-invitations.html

i did the tied on tag, rehearsal dinner, and rsvp as my inserts, all customized to match the hybrid design.
  • Hi, 

I in Stamford and I used Impressive Invites from Mamaroneck, NY. 
    We designed/picked everything in 30-45 min and they were ready 3 weeks later.  They also did the calligraphy in the outer envelopes. 

I was really happy with the attention to detail and the customer service that I got at a small plate. 
    My invites came to $500-600 total for a 5 piece invitation including the calligraphy. (60 invitations)

Veri 
  • Try etsy.com.  They have a ton of shops that produce invitations.  We used the shop dearemma and she was wonderful.  The invitations and inserts came out great and we spent much less than any other places and websites were charging.
  • edited March 2014
    I used the Davis bridal site and was VERY pleased! We purchased our Invites, uploaded our spreadsheet and has the envelope addressed, did post cards rsvps cards, and matching thank you notes (we didn't need reception cards) and only spent around $275-$300. I posed more details here: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/comment/7124108#Comment_7124108
  • I ordered some sample invitations from wedding paper divas and davids bridal.  Can't wait to see what they look like!
    We need to order soon.  We might have to pay extra shipping so they get here in time.  Some of the wedding to do items just sneak up on you.
  • Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    Highly recommend Stacie from By Invitation Only. She's located in Wolcott. http://www.byinvite.invitations.com
    imageAnniversary
  • I bought mine and put them together myself from Michael's. I got sooo many compliments 
  • ended up with theamericanwedding.com they had a good sale going on and we got 40% off invites then they came in supper fast but my rsvp date was way off it was way to early and i should have did my calculations better i had to reorder just the rsvp but they gave me a sweet discount on re ordering those so everything worked out
  • We ended up going with Invitations by David's Bridal.  We ordered samples from their website and got to hold them and see what they looked like.  We were very pleased with the quality so we selected one of the designs (butterfly swirl).

We ordered 100 invitations, 100 reception cards, 100 response cards, 75 multipurpose cards (to add information about hotel accommodations for out of town guests), and 25 extra envelopes for the invitations in case we mess up someone's address or something
    We used the promo code STD20 (20% off entire purchase)
    and all together it came out to be 200$ with free shipping. 

I hope they arrive in time and that we are 100% satisfied!  I'll keep you posted!
  • Oh, P.S. We ordered our Save the Dates from Vistaprint and used one of the photos from our engagement session.  We paid an extra 11$ for premium glossy.
    We were EXTREMELY pleased and it was very affordable with the promo code (look on retailmenot for discounts and codes).  No one could tell they were from vistaprint (we paid to have the back design included, and there was no logo from vistaprint). 
    I got many compliments on them.

So I wouldn't completely discount Vistaprint -- they are good for some stuff.  I wouldn't order invitations from them, but they do a fine job on business cards, stationary, thank you cards, and even save the dates.
  • Update: we were very pleased with the invitations we ordered from Invitations by David's Bridal. They have a customer service line open 7 days a week and I called quite a few times and everyone I spoke to was very helpful. We ran into a snafu with the order and I started worrying the invitations wouldn't arrive on time. The woman on the phone recognized it was the company's fault and upgraded our shipping to next day air (for free). They arrived within 24 hrs, exactly the way I ordered, and I was so happy and relieved. Highly recommend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards