Kansas

The Pavilion - Shawnee

Has anyone had an event/been to an event at The Pavilion in Shawnee, KS?  It's right off of 75th & Nieman.  Looks like a great deal and the interior pics I've seen are wonderful, but I'm reluctant to get too excited after seeing what's happened with a few other venues in town.  I can't find more than just a few reviews here and there online, so I thought I'd check here.

Re: The Pavilion - Shawnee

• edited December 2011
    I was going to use them since I had been to several other weddings there and it was very nice....but it took 3 phone calls and 4 emails to even get an info packet....so I decided to go somewhere else when I saw the price...wasnt bad but wasnt right either.
    Kelly
  • edited December 2011
    What did you mean about the price? What did you not like about it? We are considering this venue for our reception.
  • edited December 2011
    I can't speak for the other bride, but I toured it since my initial post and we are now seriously considering this venue.  They take care of so much for you; it takes a lot of the headache out of a day when I'm sure I'll have enough to worry about.  The price does add up after the food & beverages, but it was still well within our budget.  Especially considering that the cost includes staff, setup, cleanup, as well as dishes and all of the little extras for which other venues often charge extra.  We're going to look at some others just to cover our bases, but we really liked what we saw. 
  • angieg+richmangieg+richm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for that info since you have toured. I just started looking. I emailed them yesterday afternoon and had a response within hours on a Sunday! Their price is very reasonable (we figured it up and would be less than $9000 for everything and 175 people). Actually that price is amazing after some I have seen!
  • This is all really helpful!! This is one of the venue vendors I have saved on here to look into. I am still a couple months out as far as starting to look at venues, but it will help to have actual other customers' feedback. From some of the venues/pricing I have looked into online, $9000 for 175 people doesn't seem outrageous at all actually. If any of you end up booking this venue, please continue to update if you can about the pros and cons of the place!
  • Hey Guys.. I went to a Wedding Reception at the Pavillion in Shawnee KS, the guests starting arriving at around 5PM  They did not start serving dinner till after 7:30PM  The Bride and Groom were there for over an hour before serving dinner.  The people were complaining a that they were hungry.  I Asked the DJ which I think works for the venue, and he said that they weren't ready to serve dinner yet, then he said that they don't start putting the food out until after the guests stop arriving... What!   We were there over an hour and a half, before we were allowed to go to the serving line... this is a bunch of BS.
    For $9000.00  You could be much better served somewhere else.

Ginger
  • In Response to <a href="http://overlandpark.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kansas_pavilion-shawnee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:92Discussion:131877a3-630b-4922-85bc-ff19437249d6Post:ee32b9ff-dae9-414c-850f-97011a1f1731">Re: The Pavilion - Shawnee</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Guys.. I went to a Wedding Reception at the Pavillion in Shawnee KS, the guests starting arriving at around 5PM  They did not start serving dinner till after 7:30PM  The Bride and Groom were there for over an hour before serving dinner.  The people were complaining a that they were hungry.  I Asked the DJ which I think works for the venue, and he said that they weren't ready to serve dinner yet, then he said that they don't start putting the food out until after the guests stop arriving... What!   We were there over an hour and a half, before we were allowed to go to the serving line... this is a bunch of BS. For $9000.00  You could be much better served somewhere else. Ginger
    Posted by Gingereagle1[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I don't know who this person is, but apperantly she is going out of her way to bash a beautiful venue.. I was at that wedding reception, and it was really nice. I also had my wedding and reception there last year. The food was delicious. Kathy, the owner, is so accomodating and literally does everything for you.. Including the food. Yes, you probably did wait for the buffet to open. But that is because the bride and groom are the ones to open the buffet. Its our day and it was their day too, and if we pay for it, we should be the first ones to enjoy the food. Not to mention it was a great time for our photographer to take some pictures of us at the buffet, while it was in perfect condition. (People can get messy) We were so busy greeting guests that it took about 45 minutes before we were ready. I don't know why Ginger would complain, considering she got to eat and drink for free. Seems a little ungreatful if you ask me. Anyway, I was looking at venues for my sister and I was checking out reviews, and it absolutely appalled me that someone would make a complaint. I had to say something because I really got to know the family, and they go out of their ways to make everything perfect.It's about the bride and groom. Not you. Lighten up </div>
  • edited August 2012
    I'm the father of the bride.  My daughter didn't want dinner served until she greeted everyone at the reception.  She had pictures after the Wedding at the church and so dinner was not served until late.  The reception was from 5:30 - 10:30 and while 7:30 was late, it was not the fault of the venue.  I wasn't watching the time but I was thinking folks were eating before 7:30.  The time dinner was served was not the fault of the venue.  Folks seemed to have a good time.  I know my wife and I enjoyed the reception.  My wife thought it was well worth the money to have someone clean up after. 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kansas_pavilion-shawnee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:92Discussion:131877a3-630b-4922-85bc-ff19437249d6Post:ee32b9ff-dae9-414c-850f-97011a1f1731">Re: The Pavilion - Shawnee</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Guys.. I went to a Wedding Reception at the Pavillion in Shawnee KS, the guests starting arriving at around 5PM  They did not start serving dinner till after 7:30PM  The Bride and Groom were there for over an hour before serving dinner.  The people were complaining a that they were hungry.  I Asked the DJ which I think works for the venue, and he said that they weren't ready to serve dinner yet, then he said that they don't start putting the food out until after the guests stop arriving... What!   We were there over an hour and a half, before we were allowed to go to the serving line... this is a bunch of BS. For $9000.00  You could be much better served somewhere else. Ginger
    Posted by Gingereagle1[/QUOTE]
  • My husband and I looked all over town for a place to hold our reception in 2004 and chose the Pavillion. While we were nervous at first because this venue is located in a shopping center, we immediately saw all of the lovely landscaping they had done leading up to the venue and when we saw the inside, it took our breath away. The price was right and we were able to include everything that we wanted, including providing a list of songs that we wanted played at our recepion. The catering prices were the most reasonable in town and everyone loved the food. The bathrooms were very nice and the decorations in the hall were gorgeous.

My daughter is beginning to plan her wedding and this is the first place we are going to consider for her special event. The owners made everything hassle-free and we had nothing but compliments on the day!
  • I had to replan my wedding in 10 weeks because of my husband's job(military).  Because of this I was scrambling to find a new location, dj, caterer, etc.  I came across The Pavilion and inquired about prices.  Kathy (the owner) was so amazing and she made my wedding possible.  The food was delicious, the dj was great, and her sister in law was there taking pictures in addition to my photographer.  They sent me all the pictures her sister in law had taken free of charge.  I'm well aware that my situation was a rare and special one, but I think that says even more about them.  I can't say one bad thing about them! I would have my reception there again in a heart beat!

• My fiance and I have decided to have our wedding reception here, we absolutely loved the interior and that it is basically all inclusive!! We just haven't decided where to do our ceremony yet. Has anyone done the ceremony and reception at the Pavilion? 
  • We recently had our reception at the Pavilion and it was amazing. We received so many compliments on the venue and on the food from all of our guests!
    Some of my favorite things-
    The inside: The location may make you question the venue, but once you go inside you forget entirely about the location. The venue is set up perfectly for a wedding and is gorgeous. Best dance floor and bar of all the wedding venues in KC! The bar is a freestanding structure (a big square) where you guests can approach the bar from several angles while the bartenders (provided by the venue) work on the inside. It is a beautiful bar with great finishings and lightings. The dance floor is huge and has professional lighting set up above the dance floor (so much better than a DJ rolling in the rickety cart of equipment and lights). The space is such a good size. We had around 120 guests and it was more than enough room... we could have easily had 200 and felt comfortable!
    Food: Recommendations: Bristet, Garlic Cheddar potatoes, garlic green beans, and spinach salad. sooooo yummy! One fun thing you get to do is attend events and weddings at the pavilion to try the food in order to choose your menu. And it is a great opportunity to see the place in full swing!
    Customizable: While Valerie and Kathy will help with your decorations, I wanted to do my own centerpieces. They offered to set it all up for me (which is amazing... no other venue will do this) and they also gave me the option of setting it up myself a few days early (which I did! - soooo awesome to do it myself with my bridesmaids and actually get to see what the venue looks like decorated before 100 people are in there... and such a relief to know 3 days before my wedding, that the set up was handled and just the way I wanted it!). Also the Pavilion is already very decorated, but Valerie and Kathy had no problem with me asking them to take some of the decor down that I wasn't a fan of or that didn't go with my theme. That was sooo amazing of them! It really is fully customizable!
    Clean up: They handle all the cleanup and even boxed back up all of our centerpieces and decorations (which was a TON of stuff!) and let us come weeks later to get it! It was so nice to not have to have any family stay behind to clean up. Eveyone just got to have a great time and then go home at the end of the night.
    DJ: They have two in house DJ's. We had Bill as our DJ and he was amazing. He is so nice and easy to work with. I was even emailing him from my phone the morning of the wedding while getting my hair done to add a special dance and song to the reception and it was no problem at all!
    Service: Valerie and Kathy are so great and really willing to let you have the exact wedding that you want! Additionally, they let me change my guest count as I got late RSVPs and cancellations up to like 2 days before the wedding! amazing!
    Just Fabulous!
  • <div>
    </div><div>I am so glad to hear this because we are having our wedding there next year!! Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see how you decorated the space!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kansas_pavilion-shawnee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:92Discussion:131877a3-630b-4922-85bc-ff19437249d6Post:f076d0f4-dc00-4b39-ac65-0ee5bd6d91dd">Re: The Pavilion - Shawnee</a>:
    [QUOTE]We recently had our reception at the Pavilion and it was amazing. We received so many compliments on the venue and on the food from all of our guests! Some of my favorite things- The inside: The location may make you question the venue, but once you go inside you forget entirely about the location. The venue is set up perfectly for a wedding and is gorgeous. Best dance floor and bar of all the wedding venues in KC! The bar is a freestanding structure (a big square) where you guests can approach the bar from several angles while the bartenders (provided by the venue) work on the inside. It is a beautiful bar with great finishings and lightings. The dance floor is huge and has professional lighting set up above the dance floor (so much better than a DJ rolling in the rickety cart of equipment and lights). The space is such a good size. We had around 120 guests and it was more than enough room... we could have easily had 200 and felt comfortable! Food: Recommendations: Bristet, Garlic Cheddar potatoes, garlic green beans, and spinach salad. sooooo yummy! One fun thing you get to do is attend events and weddings at the pavilion to try the food in order to choose your menu. And it is a great opportunity to see the place in full swing! Customizable: While Valerie and Kathy will help with your decorations, I wanted to do my own centerpieces. They offered to set it all up for me (which is amazing... no other venue will do this) and they also gave me the option of setting it up myself a few days early (which I did! - soooo awesome to do it myself with my bridesmaids and actually get to see what the venue looks like decorated before 100 people are in there... and such a relief to know 3 days before my wedding, that the set up was handled and just the way I wanted it!). Also the Pavilion is already very decorated, but Valerie and Kathy had no problem with me asking them to take some of the decor down that I wasn't a fan of or that didn't go with my theme. That was sooo amazing of them! It really is fully customizable! Clean up: They handle all the cleanup and even boxed back up all of our centerpieces and decorations (which was a TON of stuff!) and let us come weeks later to get it! It was so nice to not have to have any family stay behind to clean up. Eveyone just got to have a great time and then go home at the end of the night. DJ: They have two in house DJ's. We had Bill as our DJ and he was amazing. He is so nice and easy to work with. I was even emailing him from my phone the morning of the wedding while getting my hair done to add a special dance and song to the reception and it was no problem at all! Service: Valerie and Kathy are so great and really willing to let you have the exact wedding that you want! Additionally, they let me change my guest count as I got late RSVPs and cancellations up to like 2 days before the wedding! amazing! Just Fabulous!
    Posted by kek922[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards