Wedding Invitations & Paper

What is the percentage of confirmed RSVP guests that actually show up?

Help!  we received 120 RSVP confirmations back in the mail for our wedding.  I read/found several percentages for "invited" guests that do not show.  However, I cannot obtain statistics on the percentage of RSVP'd guests that do not show up.  Is that because generally all show up?  

Re: What is the percentage of confirmed RSVP guests that actually show up?

• There isn't a formula for this. But most people do have a few no shows. We had 5 out of 225. One was a family of 4. We knew there was a chance they might not make it since they were flying stand by. And the one got sick the day of the wedding.

Plan for everyone to attend.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • jmuao62 said:
    Help!  we received 120 RSVP confirmations back in the mail for our wedding.  I read/found several percentages for "invited" guests that do not show.  However, I cannot obtain statistics on the percentage of RSVP'd guests that do not show up.  Is that because generally all show up?  
    Why do you want to know this? You need to plan for everyone who RSVP "yes" to come to the wedding. It's not that difficult. If you have no shows, who cares, it's already paid for. 

• my brother had 2 no shows but they called him up like the weekend before his wedding they had a really bad family emergency. and he understood

plan on everyone to attend unless they call u up last minute also you might get a few who responded no and show up
  • We had 100 guests RSVP yes. Of those, five did not attend:

-- My cousin and her husband, who had a baby the day before the wedding
    -- One of DH's co-workers, whose house got flooded in a freak rain storm the night before/early morning hours of our wedding
    -- One of DH's second cousins and her husband, because the husband's brother died very unexpectedly in the early-morning hours of our wedding

If you're worried about how many meals you'll have to pay for for people who don't attend -- it will happen, so just accept it. 

But we had five people out of 100, which is exactly 5 percent. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • we had 4 cancel the week of the wedding.  We had another 4 or so completely no-showed. Out of 149 yeses. 

Most events have a couple of no shows (say 1-3 couples).  I haven't really heard of many who had a large percentage no shows, unless there was some huge weather event.  Not that it can't happen, I just don't think a large amount of no shows is common.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • jmuao62 said:
    There is no formula or statistics.  We had 100% of people who said yes attend.  There were no no-shows.  Plan for everyone to show up.
  • We didn't have any no shows.  

Plan for all 120.  It happens, but there's no reason to expect that someone will have an emergency.  
  • We only had 2 people RSVP yes who didn't attend. They had a death in the family and let us know ahead of time they would no longer be attending.
  • Every person who RSVPed yes showed up to our wedding.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I would plan on/expect all yes rsvp's to show, unless an emergency of some type.  I am aware one of my guest's is preggo, due around the same time as the wedding, so there is a chance they will be no shows
  • We had 116 people RSVP yes, out of number only 4 didn't come and of those were due to unforeseen circumstances. One guest threw here back out that morning. Another guest had a family emergency where her newborn grandson was rushed to ICU & she needed to watch other grandkids so parents go to go hospital. One was dealing with issues for Superstorm Sandy which hit our area days before our wedding. So there were thing that you couldn't predict.

On the flip side, we had one decline show up to reception

• Everyone showed up to our wedding as well. You absolutely can't count on no-shows.
  • We ended up a bit over the number that RSVP'd. There were a few no-shows, and several others brought uninvited guests. Luckily we ordered extra food and tables/chairs.
  • I'm anticipating and prepared for 100% attendance. I mentioned to the hotel I'm having my wedding at my concerns of last minute or "surprise" show ups (crossing my fingers for none) and they assured me they can handle that (especially since it's a buffet reception).
  • There is no formula or percentage for that. I've seen people have no-shows, but I've also seen people who had extras show up that had RSVP'd as no. You need to plan for 100% of them to attend.  If any, the number of no-shows will be minor.  You certainly don't want to plan on having 95% attend, then have 5% of your people stuck without food. Generally people aren't going to lie to you and say yes if they don't plan to come.  Any no-shows will be for unplanned and uncontrollable circumstances, which may or may not happen.

Until you get RSVP's back, you need to plan that 100% of invited guests will come.  After RSVP's, you need to plan for 100% of guests that responded yes. You don't need a formula for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards