Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation etc. wording

I would like to have another set of eyes look at my invitations. 

Is this acceptable for a wedding invitation's wording? 

Together with   
their families  

Bride  
&  
Groom

Invite you to join them   
as they celebrate their marriage  
at two in the afternoon  
on Saturday June seventh, two-thousand fourteen
Church 
City, State

Reception to follow at six in the evening
Country Club

My RSVP cards: 

M  ____________________________________________________________________   
____  Will Attend   
____  Will Not Attend   

Please initial your meal selection:    
____  Filet Mignon   
____  Balsamic Chicken  
____  Baked Salmon  
____  Vegetarian  
____  Kid's Chicken Tenders

The favor of your reply is appreciated    
on or before May 17th

I also have an Accommodations insert card that has the wedding website. 

Thanks so much! 

Re: Invitation etc. wording

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Change the wording to

request the honour of your presence
    as they are united in marriage

because the word "celebrate" is an indication that the marriage already took place.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Together with their families  
     Bride  
    and
    Groom
    as they are united in marriage
    Saturday, the seventh of June
    two thousand fourteen
    at two o'clock
    Church 
    City, State

(separate reception card needed)
    Reception 
    six o'clock
    Country Club
    Address
    City, State

I'm afraid I have a lot of edits.  This is a wedding, not a vow renewal?  You cannot use "reception to follow" if there is a big time gap between your ceremony and your reception.  What are your guests supposed to do between the ceremony and the reception?  This gap is considered to be rude.  You do need a separate reception card, since your reception is in a completely different location from your ceremony.
    Most of the edits are just form related, other than this.
    I  urge you to reconsider your plans!  If you must have an afternoon ceremony, then have a traditional afternoon reception so your guests won't have to wait for the evening reception.  You could also move your ceremony to 5:00 PM, so your guests could go directly to the reception after the ceremony is finished.  Your plans sound very inconvenient for your guests, and that is not good etiquette.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • eeek such a long gap!
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I'm well aware of the gap.  We are having a Catholic wedding...luckily the majority of our guests are also Catholic. It cannot be avoided.  
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    Thank you for the feedback though.  
    edited March 2014
    Wait a minute!  Is this going to be a full mass?  If it is, then the wording I gave you is wrong!

Yes, you can easily avoid the gap by rescheduling the reception .
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    No. We are both Catholic, it is a Catholic wedding, but it is the ceremony only...no communion, not a full mass.  
    edited March 2014
    Whew!  I would hate to have given you wrong advice on wording!  @HisGirlFriday13, did I get it correct for this ceremony, or is this needed?

Together with their families  
     Bride  
    and
    Groom
    as they are united in
    The Sacrement of Holy Matrimony
    Saturday, the seventh of June
    two thousand fourteen
    at two o'clock
    Church 
    City, State

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    Thank you though! I appreciate your help. I appreciate the feedback and I do realize I could change the reception time, however I don't want to reschedule the reception. It's the norm where I'm from.  It will all be ok.  I promise.  I want enough time for pictures and so on.  I have 6 wedding invitations on my fridge right now and all of them have about that long of a gap...in some cases even longer. 
  • @HTR10, I've been revising my last post like crazy.  Keep checking back until you hear from HisGirlFriday13.  She's the expert on Catholic weddings.  Yes, it does sometimes make a difference.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • HTR10 said:
    I'm well aware of the gap.  We are having a Catholic wedding...luckily the majority of our guests are also Catholic. It cannot be avoided.  
    This is silly.  Don't blame religion for your gap.  The majority of weddings I've attended have been Catholic and not one has had a gap.  YOU chose to have the gap by not having an earlier reception.

It doesn't matter what's the "norm" in your social circle.  It's still rude and inconsiderate to your guests.
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    edited March 2014
    @JoanE2012 and whomever else may be concerned: I asked for feedback on my invitation wording...not on the time of my wedding and reception.  I am recognizing your feedback and saying ok.  I don't need anyone else telling me that I should change the time. I (and our families if you want to me to be  honest) chose to have the gap...we're rude and inconsiderate and we're ok with it.  Thank you for the feedback.  

• HTR10HTR10 member
    edited March 2014
    @CMSGragain Ok, I definitely will.  Thank you.  
  • HTR10 said:
    @JoanE2012 and whomever else may be concerned: I asked for feedback on my invitation wording...not on the time of my wedding and reception.  I am recognizing your feedback and saying ok.  I don't need anyone else telling me that I should change the time. I (and our families if you want to me to be  honest) chose to have the gap...we're rude and inconsiderate and we're ok with it.  Thank you for the feedback.  

• HTR10 said:

Then perhaps you shouldn't post this information on a public message board.  

Why do you care about proper invitation wording if you don't even care about hosting your guests properly?  That should be your first priority.  The gap affects your guests, the invitations do not.
  • Oh please.  The whole "we're Catholic so the gap is unavoidable" line is complete bullshit.  @HisGirlFriday13 and some other brides on here (I can't think of any others at the moment) are Catholic and had Catholic ceremonies without having an unhosted gap for their guests.  
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    This board is ridiculous.  Thanks for your "help."
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    Or better yet...here you go. I changed the reception to 4 p.m.  Does that make you feel better? You did such a wonderful job of convincing me in such a polite manner. 
  • HTR10 said:
    This board is ridiculous.  Thanks for your "help."
    I find it ridiculous that you acknowledge you could move your reception time but choose not to and yet still try to blame it all on religion.  You even said it's ok because you'll have more time for pictures.  Obviously your guests are obviously not your top priority.  THAT'S ridiculous.  You do realize the reception is for your guests, right?

Just because we don't agree with your rudeness does not make something ridiculous.
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    edited March 2014
    I moved it up...didn't you see? Since when is OUR wedding reception, celebrating OUR marriage, that WE and OUR families are paying for become about our guests? If a wedding is too inconvenient for me, guess what? I don't go.  I send a gift but wouldn't expect the same.  This board is for invites and paper...not for what time my wedding and reception begins.  IF I could have my wedding later I would, but my church has a 4:30 mass and we only have the venue for 5 hours.  I didn't do it just to make people angry.  We have a Catholic wedding we're attending in two weeks that begins at 1:30.  The reception is at 6:00...no one I know is upset by that.  I guess they're rude too.  I'm a grown adult.  I will find things to do to entertain myself in between. 
  • HTR10 said:
    I moved it up...didn't you see? Since when is OUR wedding reception, celebrating OUR marriage, that WE and OUR families are paying for become about our guests? If a wedding is too inconvenient for me, guess what? I don't go.  I send a gift but wouldn't expect the same.  This board is for invites and paper...not for what time my wedding and reception begins.  IF I could have my wedding later I would, but my church has a 4:30 mass and we only have the venue for 5 hours.  I didn't do it just to make people angry.  We have a Catholic wedding we're attending in two weeks that begins at 1:30.  The reception is at 6:00...no one I know is upset by that.  I guess they're rude too.  I'm a grown adult.  I will find things to do to entertain myself in between. 
    To the first bolded.....you clearly do not understand the definition of a reception. I'll copy it below for you. In short, it is your "thank you" to your guests.  It is most definitely not all about you.  That's what the ceremony is for.

wedding reception is a party held after the completion of a marriage ceremony. It is held usually as hospitality for those who have attended the wedding, hence the name reception: the couple receives society, in the form of family and friends, for the first time as a married couple.

To the second bolded....when you post on a public message board, you don't get to dictate what kind of responses you get.  If you post something that is rude, you'll hear about it.  Doesn't matter what board it's on.

And to the third bolded, you could've booked an earlier reception.  Again, you keep coming back to the church and religion for your gap.  I'm glad you're not bothered by a gap, but many people are.  It's not the proper way to treat those who you supposedly care so much about.  As a guest, what the hell am I going to do for a couple hours dressed to the nines?  I'd be bored out of mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards