Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

When should I open the bar?

I am having a Catholic wedding ceremony at 1:00 (so actual start time probably closer to 1:15).  The reception hall is about a 20 minute drive from the church and will be open right after the ceremony.  We plan on having light snacks and beverages available for guests who choose to go right after.  The bridal party is going to take pictures after the ceremony and hopefully we won't take longer than 1.5- 2 hours.  We planned on serving dinner around 5:30 and ending the dance around 10:30 or 11.  My question is, is it rude to not serve alcohol until dinner begins?  I don't want to inconvenience my guests but I also don't want people to be drinking from 3-11..  What are your suggestions?

Re: When should I open the bar?

• Options
    You do not have to open the bar prior to dinner, but you should have some non-alcoholic beverages available and food. 
  • Options
    open the bar immediately. That has always happened at all weddings I've been to regardless of the time of day. Can I ask what is your timeline? 1pm ceremony (should start at 1pm NOT 15 mins late). That ends at 2-2:15. When do you plan on getting to the venue?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    If I'm able to start at 1 I will, but every wedding I've ever been to started about 15 min late.  If every one is seated and ready on time I will gladly start at 1:00.  I planned on the ceremony going for about an hour and 15 min so ending around 2-2:15.  My family likes to stick around and chat after weddings so most people won't leave the church until 2:30-2:45.  I figured people would likely be showing up to the reception site at 3:00 and the bridal party would arrive around 5pm.  We plan on having water, coffee, tea, punch, and pop available, but I am going back and forth on when to open the bar.
  • Options
    Open the bar when people get there. Trust your guests to be adults and drink responsibly no matter how long the bar is open.

• Options
    Getting to the reception venue at 5 is too late. Get there for 4 at the latest and have the bar open as soon as guests get there. I'd do your entrance and eat by 4:30.
  • Options
    Yeah, you really shouldn't need that long for photos.  Start the family/church photos right after the ceremony (2:15-ish), then if you want to do a little bit of photos outside or something, you should still be able to make it to your reception hall no later than 4.  I don't think it's okay to make your guests wait to see you until 5 when your ceremony is over at 2:15.

And make sure to serve snacks/drinks in between. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    Thanks for all your input!  I was basing the 1.2-2 hours for pictures on what my photographer said, but we might cut that down a bit and make it to the reception by 4-4:30.  I will definitely have snacks/drinks in between.  Should we plan on moving dinner up as soon as we arrive or keep it around 5:30?
  • Options

Thanks for all your input!  I was basing the 1.2-2 hours for pictures on what my photographer said, but we might cut that down a bit and make it to the reception by 4-4:30.  I will definitely have snacks/drinks in between.  Should we plan on moving dinner up as soon as we arrive or keep it around 5:30?

I would move dinner up. :) even if it's just to 5.

image   image   image

• Options
    Definitley cut photo time back!  2 hours is waaaay too long for your guests to be waiting around for you to show up, no matter what your photographer's think.

If your ceremony starts at 1pm- which means you start walking down the aisle regardless of who hasn't been seated or arrived yet- it should be done by 2pm.  If you are not doing a receiving line then have that info listed in your program and someone announce it after your ceremony so that your guests get the hint to get their butts to the reception.  And no matter if ppl linger to bullshit, begin taking your pictures immediately following your ceremony.

That means cocktail hour should be from 2pm or 2:30pm, to allow for travel time, until 3pm, and you should arrive at the reception no later than 3:30pm.  I would then start dinner ASAP.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Speak with your photographer about taking as many pictures as you can before the ceremony.  Does your package come with a 2nd shooter?  Mine did and we had the main photographer with us girls and the 2nd shooter with the guys, that way all of those pics were out of the way prior to the wedding.  So after, we just had the two of us, family pictures, and us with the entire WP to do.  We made the last 15 minutes of our cocktail hour and our WP & families made 30 mins of it.
  • Options
    All of the above.  

Our Mass started at 3, on the dot, and we would have walked with out a bridesmaid, too.  Happily she came running in just at the first was starting down the aisle. (Looong story). There were some late arrivals to the Mass, but they waited in the vestibule while we processed in.  That's what the DOC told me, anyway.  I didn't notice as I was too busy being nervous, haha.

Anyway, Mass ended at 4, guests were ushered out by the DOC while the WP, parents and we took our church pics.  WP/Family shots first, then they left for the reception.  DH and I did our couples shots next then we left.  It took 1/2 hour total.  We did most of the pictures at home (the ladies and I) and then the photog left to get the gentlemen's pics at the church where they were waiting.

We got to the venue in enough time to enjoy the last 15 minutes of cocktail hour.

The bar was open and there was food and passed HD as soon as the first guest set foot in the door.  We were introduced, socialized for a few minutes, opened the dance floor and dinner started at 5.  We ate then took the reception poses, which weren't many, while everyone danced or finished their suppers.

You don't have to serve spirits, but you should serve beverages and some sort of snack.  It doesn't have to be fancy, but there should be something.  (Honestly though, we really didn't have any over indulgers, even with the bar open for the entire time.  People know how to pace themselves.  If not, the bartender should cut them off.)

Good lucy with the planning and best wishes to you!
  • Options
    I just want to give a quick thank you to everyone who posts on this board.  Before joining TK, I had no clue about some of the etiquette rules and you all have definitely saved me from committing a few mistakes!
    <3

You don't think we are all so mean?! O.o

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards