Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Vendor Reviews-10.26

Reception-Heinz History Center Great Hall B
I'm torn with them, I had a fabulous wedding, everything went smoothly and my guests loved it. However, the last month before the wedding when I would expect more communication they were hard to reach/respond and very rushed. My wedding was in the Great Hall on the ground floor and was their only wedding that day until 3 months before someone booked the ballroom upstairs. Once that happened, details of my wedding were altered for the other wedding. I understand that there's only one entrance, and one set of elevators, but I felt like my event which had been on the books for over a year by that point was being shoved to the side for the bigger and more expense other client. My original contact was Lori, who left in June to retire, and I was switched to Maura/Cara. Things that Lori had said were okay to do, like put uplights on the pillars, was axed by Maura when my DJ went to set them up. They also threw away all of the boxes and supplies we had put our centerpieces into when they set-up the space so my mom had to have their employees find empty boxes so we can pack our stuff and take it. I was hesitant with booking them because of their exclusive contract with Common Plea ($$$!), but the in-laws swayed me. I know that the event space is unique, and guests will love it, but that last month of stress and planning had me questioning. 

Caterer-Common Plea A
With using the History Center, we were also contracted with Common Plea. We did dinner and bar with them only. They also coordinate your linens since they no longer own a linen company. They only do two tastings a year, and it's on a weeknight which is tough when you live out of town. My mom and two bridesmaids went. For our wedding, we did three stations-pasta, fajitas, and carving. We also had a designated kids meal. It was easy for us to make selections, Martin explained everything, and he is the one who actually planned our evening and events, not the History Center. Our guests loved the stations, especially the fajitas. My husband and I had our own personal server to get our food and drinks. They were also very accommodating with our large portion of Mormon guests and allowing us to not charge those over 21 as drinkers. 

Photographer-Caitlin Thomas A++
I had been following for Caitlin for awhile since we had a ton of mutual friends and we figured out that we played soccer together when younger. I knew that I wanted Caitlin to be my photographer from day one and I am so happy!! If you choose Caitlin, there are no regrets. 

DJ/Uplighting/Photobooth-Mark Tishko Entertainment A++
Mark was my savior when having to deal with changes and annoyance from the History Center. He is a true professional, cares about your event, and makes sure that what you want happens. My dance floor was packed, people asked me for a playlist, and I don't have one because I let Mark do his job. My photobooth was also a HUGE hit, and he customized my photo printout for it from a strip to a 4x6. He has an open air booth, which I needed since I used the Kennywood race car for it. He also brought a ton of props and we got a guestbook full of photos from the booth. Mark seriously is worth it. 

Gown/Bridesmaids/Alterations- MB Bride A for shopping, B for tailoring
I went to MB Bride last and the last dress I tried on was it. I went on a Saturday during a trunk sale and never felt like my consultant left me, and pulled my dress after I described it to her. Buying a wedding gown from them was easy, and my measurements were correct. My bridesmaid dresses also came from MB, and shopping was easy because I already knew what dress I wanted. All of my bridesmaids' dresses were a size or 2 too big when ordered. We also had them price match the dress from an online boutique that has a real store front, and when doing that you need to pick up the dresses within a week of delivery. For alterations, I had my train cut off, the neckline adjusted, and the one shoulder adjusted. Despite it being written in to my file that I was removing the train, the woman just started trying to do a bustle in the dress, and didn't even ask me what kind of bustle I wanted. I had three appts: end of July, end of Sept, and 2 days before my wedding. When I came back in Sept, all they had altered was the train/hem. The neckline and shoulder lace was still pinned and not sewn down.  Two days before my wedding we went and while all of the alterations were finished, she didn't hide the seam from adjusting the neckline and it just stood out front and center. My mom had the woman find small pieces of lace to cover up the seam. My mom and aunts as people who have sewn clothing in the past, were not exactly happy with the way the seamstress hid her work on the neckline. I did purchase the alterations package with my dress, and that normally includes neckline, shoulder, bottom hem, and side seam adjustments. I did not have to pay more for my train to be cut off as I didn't have to take in my dress. My recommendation for alterations is you can use them, but bring someone who knows exactly what you want and a watchful eye. 

Flowers-Johanna's Garden
Johanna is a longtime family friend who we have used in the past, and I knew that I would be using her. She made my bouquet, the centerpiece 'wreaths' and two altar pieces. I gave her a pic from Pinterest for my bouquet, told her to find some cheaper flowers, and let her do whatever. I don't particularity care for flowers, and I'm very happy with her work. She also built, delivered, and set up my candle centerpieces for no extra. Johanna is so nice, honest, and willing to do the work for your day. She is also good with budgets, while we didn't give her one, my floral costs were minimal. 

Linens-Mosaic Linens B
Since Common Plea sold their linens company a month before our wedding, this is their new linens provider. I didn't do any of my selections with them, and my only communication was a week before my wedding when they sent an invoice and asked for payment the following business day. They then the next business day changed the cost of the order (what?) and asked to change the invoice after we already paid. I hope that since we were a last minute client, they don't do this to others. 

Make Up- Afton of Pink City Artistry A++
Afton is so cute and nice and her work is great. As an out of state bride, we was very accommodating for my trial, coming to my house on a Saturday. She was on time and efficient the morning of and had no problem adding my sister a couple of weeks before. She does airbrush and it lasted all day! (I cried through my whole ceremony and again at the reception.)

Hair-Brooke Rockwell A++
I had no idea what I wanted, just what I didn't want, and Brooke delivered. She gave me tips for helping my hair hold curl and they worked! Despite it being extremely windy and my veil getting tangled, my hair stayed perfect. By the end of the night, my hair that was left down still had some curl and that is a miracle for me. 

Once I know the name of the limo company from my in laws, I can review them. But they were very good and early and timely!

Re: Vendor Reviews-10.26

• Options
    Congrats!  Thanks for your thorough reviews.  I'm so sorry that things sort of changed at your venue...you want the focus to be on your event, and knowing that they sort of squeezed in and made another event a higher priority is not the way you want to feel on your day.  And then the linen bill issue???  Weird.  You would think that if a company was initially agreeing to provide those and then no longer was providing that service a month before your event that they would ensure a seamless transition to the new vendor and at the same price!  Common Plea should have done a better job at that, but sounds like they pulled through with the food/service, and very nice that they didn't charge for all of the adults!
  • Options
    Thank you for your very thorough reviews!  I am recently engaged and, based on pictures from local wedding photographers (including the very lovely pictures from your wedding!), I am smitten with the Heinz History Center.  The industrial vibe is perfect, the location is so central to hotels that we probably wouldn't have to do a party bus for guests, and it is so special to have the city of Pittsburgh a central focus of the venue!

I am a bit concerned, though, as I keep reading about the high costs, particularly of Common Plea -- based on your experiences, how much more expensive is the food and alcohol per guest, as compared to other competitors in the area?  (If this totally breaks wedding etiquette, no worries!)  I'm hoping to do some serious homework before visiting local venues, as I am also planning from out-of-town.  It's been tough to find basic catering costs on their website thus far!
  • Options
    For the common plea, a cheap seated meal is about $50pp (veggie option). A station is about $40pp, and buffet actually somewhere in between there. The bar was about $25pp cheapest option, my linens were $1k. I did not do appetizers, which cheapest is $2.50 per piece. I did not do dessert with them, which cheapest was $3.50 per piece. Basically, they're expensive as ever. Stations is the only way to keep costs down. 

I did use the Hampton Inn across the street for my block. Since I had a church wedding, I had a huge gap of time, so I actually did "cocktail" hour over there with some snacks and non alcoholic refreshments, then did a 30 min buffer at the center for people to actually use the bar and get drinks and enter. Doing this literally saved thousands of dollars. 
  • Options
    I also want to add I had my rehearsal dinner at the Penn Brewery as I am a Troy Hill born girl, and we are craft beer lovers that had limited selections through the Common Plea. They were great, let us stay later than reserved, and it's a huge blank space. Great for larger dinners as we struggled to meet the minimum with ~45 people. 
  • Options
    Wow, you are a wealth of knowledge!  The hotel cocktail hour is an exceptional idea -- definitely something I will try to look into.  A friend of mine who got married in New Jersey last year suggested that I ask the caterers about the possibility of a "continuous cocktail hour" or for atypical/non-wedding menu options that could be used for the reception.  She ended up doing stations, which was fun for guests to mingle, too.  Glad to hear it's a money-saver with Common Plea to go the station route.

Also, hooray for Penn Brewery!  Love a classic pilsner and their live polka music!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards