Plus-Sized

Wedding Day tips from a Mrs.

Hi Ladies,

Just thought I'd throw out some ideas that helped with making my wedding day a little smoother.  Married, ladies feel free to add to the list.

1)  Give People Designated Jobs before Hand

Most people want to help as much as possible, leading up to the wedding and the day of.  At one point I became overwhelmed with several people asking me "what can I do?".  I gave specific jobs to certain people. For example I asked my God-Parents if they could set up the food at the rehearsal dinner.  I told her what I wanted, and she took charge.  Also, the day of the wedding each of my bridesmaid were in charge of something (such as ordering lunch, making phone calls, and making sure certain  items make it to the venue).  This helped so much!  It took a lot of things off of my plate, and I felt much better.  Just remember to say "please and  thank you"... this is very important!  

2) Take Those Sleeping Pills

Now, I wouldn't normally recommend something like this.  But, if one of my Bridesmaid's had not given me Ny'quil there is no way I would have slept the night before.  My mind was racing, I was just so excited!  And, the best way for a bride to be beautiful is for her to have her beauty sleep.

3) Have Hair and Make Up come to You 

Paying a little extra to have the make up artist come to our hotel room was so worth it.  We did not have to worry about driving anywhere, or being on time.  We just spent the morning relaxing in our hotel room, and one by one we got our hair done.  It was also fun, because several of my family members also stayed at the same hotel and would "pop-in" for a visit.

4) Give the Photographer a List

Give the photographer a list of certain photos you want.   Also, if you are taking family photos provide names of the family members in the list (i.e. mother of the bride is Mary)... so the photographer can call people by their name, rather than shouting out "I'm looking for the mother of the groom!"

5) Do a First Look

I know some people do not like the idea of a first look.  But, I am so glad we did.  It calmed both of our nerves so much.  It gave us a personal moment, and really made it real for me. And if your worried, it will take away that awesome moment of when you walk down the isle... It won't.   He still became emotional when I walked down the isle, and of course when he cries, I cry.    

6) Eat and Drink What You Paid For

I have heard several stories of bride and grooms not getting anything to eat at their own wedding.  I was not about to let this happen!  I made sure we got our cake.  We sat in a little corner and shared a piece of cake together.  This is a cute memory :)

7) Stick to What You Want or Don't Want

I never liked the idea of a "Dollar Dance", but my aunt pressured us into doing to one.  It was awkward, and hardly anyone carries cash anymore.  In the end, it turned out OK (we did get $50)  But, I could have lived without it.  

8) Pack Smart For Your Honeymoon and Wedding Day

This is important especially if you are leaving for your Honeymoon the day after your wedding.  I suggest having three different bags.  First, is the Honeymoon only bag.  Put items you will only use for your Honeymoon such as outfits, sunscreen and  lingerie. You should not need anything out of this bag the day of the wedding.

The second bag will have items you will need for your BOTH the wedding and honeymoon.  Items such as toothbrush, make-up, clothes to get ready and travel in.  This would be a good carry on bag if you are flying.  I also kept my purse, cell phone charger, and our passports in this bag.

The last bag, is the "Take it Home Bag".  This is for the items you don't want to take on your Honeymoon, but you need for your wedding day.  TRUST me you will need this bag, crap will pile up.  Designate a person you can trust to take home these items.  In my case it was my parents, they were also in charge of taking home my wedding gown.  

Thats all I can think of for now.  Hope some of this is helpful! Good Luck Ladies!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Day tips from a Mrs.

• Thank you  -- and Congratulations! These all sound like great pieces of advice.  I'll remember to make a list for the photographer and now I'll think about doing a first look!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you - - and that is excellent advice about packing 3 bags! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_wedding-day-tips-from-a-mrs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:869c3141-1e3e-489e-bdd9-233e02821dbcPost:67fd2b98-6307-4a7a-91b0-0f38b726fd2c">Wedding Day tips from a Mrs.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies, Just thought I'd throw out some ideas that helped with making my wedding day a little smoother.  Married, ladies feel free to add to the list. 1 )  <strong>Give People Designated Jobs before Hand </strong>Most people want to help as much as possible, leading up to the wedding and the day of.  At one point I became overwhelmed with several people asking me "what can I do?".  I gave specific jobs to certain people. For example I asked my God-Parents if they could set up the food at the rehearsal dinner.  I told her what I wanted, and she took charge.  Also, the day of the wedding each of my bridesmaid were in charge of something (such as ordering lunch, making phone calls, and making sure certain  items make it to the venue).  This helped so much!  It took a lot of things off of my plate, and I felt much better.  Just remember to say "please and  thank you"... this is very important!   2) Take Those Sleeping Pills Now, I wouldn't normally recommend something like this.  But, if one of my Bridesmaid's had not given me Ny'quil there is no way I would have slept the night before.  My mind was racing, I was just so excited!  And, the best way for a bride to be beautiful is for her to have her beauty sleep. 3) Have Hair and Make Up come to You  Paying a little extra to have the make up artist come to our hotel room was so worth it.  We did not have to worry about driving anywhere, or being on time.  We just spent the morning relaxing in our hotel room, and one by one we got our hair done.  It was also fun, because several of my family members also stayed at the same hotel and would "pop-in" for a visit. 4) Give the Photographer a List Give the photographer a list of certain photos you want.   Also, if you are taking family photos provide names of the family members in the list (i.e. mother of the bride is Mary)... so the photographer can call people by their name, rather than shouting out "I'm looking for the mother of the groom!" 5) Do a First Look I know some people do not like the idea of a first look.  But, I am so glad we did.  It calmed both of our nerves so much.  It gave us a personal moment, and really made it real for me. And if your worried, it will take away that awesome moment of when you walk down the isle... It won't.   He still became emotional when I walked down the isle, and of course when he cries, I cry.     6) Eat and Drink What You Paid For I have heard several stories of bride and grooms not getting anything to eat at their own wedding.  I was not about to let this happen!  I made sure we got our cake.  We sat in a little corner and shared a piece of cake together.  This is a cute memory :) 7) Stick to What You Want or Don't Want I never liked the idea of a "Dollar Dance", but my aunt pressured us into doing to one.  It was awkward, and hardly anyone carries cash anymore.  In the end, it turned out OK (we did get $50)  But, I could have lived without it.   8) Pack Smart For Your Honeymoon and Wedding Day This is important especially if you are leaving for your Honeymoon the day after your wedding.  I suggest having three different bags.  First, is the Honeymoon only bag.  Put items you will only use for your Honeymoon such as outfits, sunscreen and  lingerie. You should not need anything out of this bag the day of the wedding. The second bag will have items you will need for your BOTH the wedding and honeymoon.  Items such as toothbrush, make-up, clothes to get ready and travel in.  This would be a good carry on bag if you are flying.  I also kept my purse, cell phone charger, and our passports in this bag.  The last bag, is the "Take it Home Bag".  This is for the items you don't want to take on your Honeymoon, but you need for your wedding day.  TRUST me you will need this bag, crap will pile up.  Designate a person you can trust to take home these items.  In my case it was my parents, they were also in charge of taking home my wedding gown.     Thats all I can think of for now.  Hope some of this is helpful! Good Luck Ladies!    
    Posted by NinaTony[/QUOTE]

This is all great advice. I do disagree with the first one though.  It's best to hire a "day of" coordinator to handle these types of things.  If you can't afford a professional day of coordinator, hire a friend of a friend to act as one.  Give the person a very detailed spreadsheet with phone numbers for everyone, delivery times, where you want your lunch ordered from, etc.  You can pay someone $10-20 an hour, depending on where you live.   I hired a friend's brother, as well as another friend's co-worker to act as a DOC as well as just a general "helper".  It cost me $360.00 for two people.  It was money well spent, so my family & friends could actually enjoy the wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_wedding-day-tips-from-a-mrs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:869c3141-1e3e-489e-bdd9-233e02821dbcPost:f7c557bb-1c01-4fca-bcec-bf8ed52a30e2">Re: Wedding Day tips from a Mrs.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Wedding Day tips from a Mrs. : This is all great advice. I do disagree with the first one though.  It's best to hire a "day of" coordinator to handle these types of things.  If you can't afford a professional day of coordinator, hire a friend of a friend to act as one.  Give the person a very detailed spreadsheet with phone numbers for everyone, delivery times, where you want your lunch ordered from, etc.  You can pay someone $10-20 an hour, depending on where you live.   I hired a friend's brother, as well as another friend's co-worker to act as a DOC as well as just a general "helper".  It cost me $360.00 for two people.  It was money well spent, so my family & friends could actually enjoy the wedding.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I am in agreement with this. My mom and several of my friends are the types that will work themselves to death if there is anything to do. I didn't want this to happen at my wedding. I got a day of coordinator. She wasn't very pricey, and her service included a lot of items we normally would have had to rent. It actually ended up saving us money.
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • Great advice!!

Definately make a list for the photographer...... you don't want to miss anything.  We took so many pics, but we didn't forget anything!!!

EAT!!!!!!!!!!! Not donuts and cake, but eat regular the days prior to your wedding.  Your dress will stretch as you wear it, so best to be a little snug when you first put it on!!!

I dont' agree with the first look.  I know its a popular thing now, but I didn't see my husband from Friday afternoon until 5pm on Saturday.  I will NEVER forget the look in his eyes when I walked through the doors of the church, and it lasted right through the ceremony. 

Don't freak out when something goes wrong; and there will be a number of things that do.  Nothing short of you or the  groom showing up should impact your day!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards