Registry and Gift Forum

Should I delete completed items off my registry?

Hi! I have a little problem with my Target registry. For whatever reason I keep receiving duplicates from people. I had my shower this weekend (which was so lovely!) and I had a lot of duplicate gifts. Of course I'm very appreciative for everyone taking the time to come and getting us gifts, but I also don't want my guests wasting their time or being upset over duplicate gifts.

At this point I've gotten:

2 Salt and Pepper Grinder Sets

3 Irons

2 Spice Racks

2 Brita Pitchers

2 Ice Cream Scoops

Should I delete completed items off the registry? Or keep them and do exchanges/returns if any additional duplicates show up? I think others have had similar issues with Target, so how did you handle it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Should I delete completed items off my registry?

• I would be afraid that if I deleted them Target would not return any duplicates. I would call Target customer service and see what they recommend. Hopefully you have gotten gift receipts for all the items.

Do you have enough items in these price points? Sometimes guests will buy a gift that has already been purchased bc there is nothing in their price range left. These sound like $30 and under gifts. Maybe you need to add some more so people have more options??

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I would be afraid that if I deleted them Target would not return any duplicates. I would call Target customer service and see what they recommend. Hopefully you have gotten gift receipts for all the items.

Do you have enough items in these price points? Sometimes guests will buy a gift that has already been purchased bc there is nothing in their price range left. These sound like $30 and under gifts. Maybe you need to add some more so people have more options??

GL! :)

Thanks for thei nput!

We didn't have a huge registry to start with, so maybe that's the issue that guests don't have enough choices? Unfortuately I don't want to add things for the sake of adding them. I still have a few things that are well under $30 on the registry (gardening tools and serving pieces) and I also have a number of things under $50 on my Macy's registry.

I just wasn't sure if it was an issue with Target.. I guess I'll keep them all on there for now though. With the wedding only 50 days away many things have been purchased already.

• Did you register in the store or online? The only reason I ask is because I have noticed just when I shop at Target that the variety online is huge and I can very rarely find the same things in the store. If you registered online then people may only be able to find a few things from your registry in the actual store. 
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014

I had the same problem and only with Target (BBB had no duplicates and was great).  After my shower I returned all the duplicates.  Most without gift receipts and a couple of towels that weren't on the registry since they were the wrong size.  The returns all went smoothly.  There was only 1 month between my shower and wedding so I wasn't expecting anyone else to buy from the Target registry since it was so picked over.  I was wrong.  A guest that flew in for the wedding shipped us $200 in wedding gifts from the Target registry (that she searched out on her own).  After that gift arrived I hid the registry from view on the Internet and deleted everything that was already purchased.  We had so much $ in store credit at that point that I was hoping no one would buy anything else from Target and I could just use the store credit and completion discount to get the remaining things.   

I would return all duplicates now.  Then print out a copy of your registry that shows everything on it to keep for the record.  Finally, delete all of the purchased items.  If you want to take it a step further you can hide the registry from online view so that people can only see it if they go to the store and look it up. 

FYI, I found out that the 10% completion discount worked on everything I put in my cart when I used it online, even stuff that wasn't on the registry.  I'm guessing that if you use it in store it will only apply to the registry items.   

• Did you register in the store or online? The only reason I ask is because I have noticed just when I shop at Target that the variety online is huge and I can very rarely find the same things in the store. If you registered online then people may only be able to find a few things from your registry in the actual store. 
    I did both, I registered for a lot of stuff in store and I've been slowing changing things out as they become unavailable. So maybe that's issue... I did try to select items that were labeled as in-store over online. I think I only have one thing that is online only.
  • I thought it had a small box or something that would check the item off as purchased when bought. Is that not right?

I thought this too, but I haven't been in store yet to look at it. Maybe it isn't obvious that some items have been purchased already? I'll have to look up my registery to see.

• csuave said:

I had the same problem and only with Target (BBB had no duplicates and was great).  After my shower I returned all the duplicates.  Most without gift receipts and a couple of towels that weren't on the registry since they were the wrong size.  The returns all went smoothly.  There was only 1 month between my shower and wedding so I wasn't expecting anyone else to buy from the Target registry since it was so picked over.  I was wrong.  A guest that flew in for the wedding shipped us $200 in wedding gifts from the Target registry (that she searched out on her own).  After that gift arrived I hid the registry from view on the Internet and deleted everything that was already purchased.  We had so much $ in store credit at that point that I was hoping no one would buy anything else from Target and I could just use the store credit and completion discount to get the remaining things.   

I would return all duplicates now.  Then print out a copy of your registry that shows everything on it to keep for the record.  Finally, delete all of the purchased items.  If you want to take it a step further you can hide the registry from online view so that people can only see it if they go to the store and look it up. 

FYI, I found out that the 10% completion discount worked on everything I put in my cart when I used it online, even stuff that wasn't on the registry.  I'm guessing that if you use it in store it will only apply to the registry items.   

Great thanks for the info! I'm not sure if we'll get the completion discount or not, there are still quite a few things that haven't been purchased, which is fine. My Macy's registery isn't having this issue so it just seemed odd to me.

Also glad to know we don't need gift receipts! I was a little worried about tracking those down in all the shower stuff.

• abrewer5 said:
    Did you register in the store or online? The only reason I ask is because I have noticed just when I shop at Target that the variety online is huge and I can very rarely find the same things in the store. If you registered online then people may only be able to find a few things from your registry in the actual store. 
    I did both, I registered for a lot of stuff in store and I've been slowing changing things out as they become unavailable. So maybe that's issue... I did try to select items that were labeled as in-store over online. I think I only have one thing that is online only.
    Even though it says it's available in stores doesn't mean that it's always there. I've found several things on their website and then went to the store by me to purchase them so I didn't have to pay shipping and they are nowhere to be found. I don't know why Target does that, but they seem to be really bad about it. People going to the store and not being able to find the stuff on your registry could definitely be part of the problem.

Also, my sister recently went to Target and printed out a baby registry and all she got was 4 blank pages. When she asked at customer service they told her that the registry must not have been completed (it was). So if anyone had any problems with your registry info or finding stuff they may have just picked whatever they could. 
  • abrewer5 said:
    Did you register in the store or online? The only reason I ask is because I have noticed just when I shop at Target that the variety online is huge and I can very rarely find the same things in the store. If you registered online then people may only be able to find a few things from your registry in the actual store. 
    Even though it says it's available in stores doesn't mean that it's always there. I've found several things on their website and then went to the store by me to purchase them so I didn't have to pay shipping and they are nowhere to be found. I don't know why Target does that, but they seem to be really bad about it. People going to the store and not being able to find the stuff on your registry could definitely be part of the problem.

Also, my sister recently went to Target and printed out a baby registry and all she got was 4 blank pages. When she asked at customer service they told her that the registry must not have been completed (it was). So if anyone had any problems with your registry info or finding stuff they may have just picked whatever they could. 

Hmm good point. Maybe I'll go check in store this weekend and see if I can find the other things we registered for at our local store and if not I'll take those off.

I should have taken others warnings and not registered there I guess. :/ I was trying to find an affordable place. Oh well lesson learned.

• csuave said:

To the bolded, I forgot to add that every single thing she shipped in the $200 worth of gifts was a duplicate.  I know her well enough to be confident that this was completely a Target screw up and not her misreading the registry or intentionally buying things that were already purchased.  I started deleting things immediately after that.
  • We are using Target as one of our registries and noticed that after scanning items in the store, they didn't match up to the registry online. Basically we would scan 4 towels and our online registry said we only scanned 1 or 2. We had to go through the entire thing and make sure our quantities were correct. Not sure why this happened but I'll definitely keep an eye on our registry now!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @sarah1551 what towels did you register for?  We got Fieldcrest luxury and love them.  Those towels and the fact that we wanted to put things like a drill, air mattress and recycling bins on a registry were the main reasons we chose Target.

Do consider deleting things after a shower (if you have one); the duplicates kept coming after the shower for us.

• @csuave YES! We registered for the Fieldcrest towels - it's good to hear a positive review on them! We also registered for a toolkit for FI and luggage there, bc it seemed to be reasonably priced.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards