Wedding Invitations & Paper

HELP! Need Funny Wording!

Hi all!

We sent out our invitations and of course we put the time of dinner on the invites instead of the ceremony. Our wedding is a super fun, chill type atmosphere. So we are looking for a funny way to let all of our guests know that we put the wrong time on their invites!

Thanks!!

Re: HELP! Need Funny Wording!

• ashgreer said:
    Hi all!

We sent out our invitations and of course we put the time of dinner on the invites instead of the ceremony. Our wedding is a super fun, chill type atmosphere. So we are looking for a funny way to let all of our guests know that we put the wrong time on their invites!

Thanks!!
    Uhm....what? You mailed invitations with the wrong time on them?

Well, OK, then.

You could just move everything back and have your ceremony start at whatever time is listed for the dinner.

Otherwise, I really don't have good suggestions for wording that says, 'We didn't take this seriously enough to proofread our invitations, tee-hee, and actually our ceremony starts at XX time with dinner starting at XX time.'
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Are you planning on mailing to them? I actually prefer the blunt method for things like this.  Just send them something saying "Oops, we messed up! Our reception starts at 6pm, not 7pm, as shown on our invites".  Maybe add something like "if you show up at the listed time, you will miss out on some of the fun".

Or, what I personally would probably do, would be to make copy of the invite (even if its just a cheap photocopy), and in bright color (like red) very obviously cross out the time and write in the new one next to it. It owns up to the mistake, it makes sure they notice the change, and I would get a laugh if I received it.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    You should send out a plain white card.

"The wedding of Bride and Groom will take place  Date, time o'clock."
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Please don't attempt to be "funny." Just be straightforward in correcting the error with the correct information. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Okay - so first off! There is no reason to be rude! We made a mistake and there was a mix up of communication between the venue and us. Really not a huge deal. 

Just looking for a fun way to say we goofed, that's all. Not looking for your criticism. 

Thanks Nicoann! We were thinking of doing something along those lines. Make it silly - no one invited is going to care, that's why we want to make fun of ourselves for doing it :)
  • We want it to be funny though. Straightforward and funny. 
  • I think you are trying to cover your faux pas with humor.  Bad idea.  It just makes you look stupid and careless.  Just make the correction like I suggested earlier, and offer no explanations.  Humor makes it seem unimportant to you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • ashgreer said:
    Okay - so first off! There is no reason to be rude! We made a mistake and there was a mix up of communication between the venue and us. Really not a huge deal. 

Just looking for a fun way to say we goofed, that's all. Not looking for your criticism. 

Thanks Nicoann! We were thinking of doing something along those lines. Make it silly - no one invited is going to care, that's why we want to make fun of ourselves for doing it :)
    Nobody is being rude. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Nope, you were for sure rude.
  • ashgreer said:
    Nope, you were for sure rude.
    I was? Here's what I said:

Please don't attempt to be "funny." Just be straightforward in correcting the error with the correct information. 

Someone alert Webster's. They's gots changes ta make!

• Um, Addie was not rude.  Like at all.  So not sure what you are talking about.

About as "funny" as I would get would be to say something like "Whoops, we made a boo boo."  And then note the correct time for the ceremony.

But I agree with CMGr, covering up a mistake with humor just makes it seem like you really don't care about your mistake.

• My sister tends to act impulsively.  When she makes a mistake (which is often), she responds with a giggle, a shrug, and "Oh, well.  What was I thinking?" more giggle.  She thinks this excuses her from responsibility.  It doesn't.  People don't trust her.
    OP, you are trying to do the same thing with your insistence on using humor to avoid owning your very careless mistake.  It won't work.

PS.  Addie is NEVER rude.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Awwww, thanks!
  • I'm in the firm camp that invitations are not the place for humor.  They are meant to convey logistical information about your wedding: the what, who, when, and where.  Don't bury this by trying to be "funny."  You'll have your guests scratching their heads, and some may end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Just be straightforward.
  • ashgreerashgreer member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2014
    Oh no Addie! I didn't mean you! I meant HisGirlFriday or whatever her username is!

The reason we were looking for funny was because our events were funny to start with! 

The correction will for sure be straightforward and very to the point, we just wanted to make it a fun spin! 

I appreciate the feedback for sure! I didn't mean to make you think that you were rude - although I see how it came off that way for sure! (Mostly because I responded to your post thinking it was the other girl)

Anyways, we are just going to go ahead and send out a postcard type thing with all the correct info on the back
  • ashgreer said:
    Oh no Addie! I didn't mean you! I meant HisGirlFriday or whatever her username is!

The reason we were looking for funny was because our events were funny to start with! 

The correction will for sure be straightforward and very to the point, we just wanted to make it a fun spin! 

I appreciate the feedback for sure! I didn't mean to make you think that you were rude - although I see how it came off that way for sure! (Mostly because I responded to your post thinking it was the other girl)

Anyways, we are just going to go ahead and send out a postcard type thing with all the correct info on the back
    How is a wedding, especially the ceremony, funny?
  • ashgreer said:
    We want it to be funny though. Straightforward and funny. 
    Well, my advice is not to do this.  Simply send another card out with the correct time.  This is a fairly serious matter, surely you don't want any confusion about when people should arrive.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ashgreer said:
    We want it to be funny though. Straightforward and funny. 
    Well, my advice is not to do this.  Simply send another card out with the correct time.  This is a fairly serious matter, surely you don't want any confusion about when people should arrive.
    Clearly it's not, and if you tell her it is, you're a meanie. :)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • "Oops!  We goofed.  The wedding ceremony of Ashgreer and Ashgreer's FI will take place at X:XXpm instead of X:XXpm, as indicated on your the invitation you previously received."

Seriously, that's all you need.

• kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    Corrections are not a laughing matter. They aren't funny, and if you try to make them funny, they will fall flat and annoy people. Trying to correct something and laugh it off at the same time sends the message that you aren't taking the error (or hosting your own event) seriously. Do you really want the most important people in your life to MISS your wedding because making jokes was more important to you than providing accurate schedules?

@QueerFemme's approach is spot on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards