Snarky Brides

Something you stole from another wedding

I'm curious to see what things knotties have stolen or borrowed that they liked from another wedding?

I had a friend who had both parents walk her down the aisle and I loved it, so I'm having mine do the same. :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker}

Re: Something you stole from another wedding

• Horse manure...?

photo tumblr_lzayjb1JAL1r18azjo1_250.gif
  • I stole my river rock guest book from a former Knottie, but none of the weddings I've been to had anything worth stealing. Mine has been the most out of the box of the weddings I've been to. There were several things I knew I would definitely NOT be doing from the weddings I've attended, though.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Went through the 19 pages looking for it, but I'll have to do more looking when I get home. I'm very interested in reading this @shrekspeare if you can't tell!
  • I stole my venue and caterer! Friends of mine got married in the same place and used the same (preferred) caterer a few years ago. Of course, *I* had actually planned on getting married there when I was in college (almost 10 years before this couple even met)... so did they actually steal it from me? lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Deleted. Reading fail!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We're including helping each other with finishing touches in our first look pics. Plus, teehee, I'm also lying to DF that he'll be putting my veil on and fastening my bracelet, but he'll really finish buttoning the back, thus seeing his favorite tattoo of mine.

Favors will include Legos.
  • I got a few decorating ideas from my sister's wedding, but for the most part it was all our ideas- photobooth (most of the people in my town had never been to a wedding with one), wooden monogram guestbook, both parents walking me down the aisle. 

I did love the Dr. Suess reading my friends did at their wedding, but it wouldn't fly in the Catholic church (neither would the Jane Eyre reading. That one went on the program!). 
  • The photographer, DJ, and cake baker!
  • My celebrant sent me 10 pages of vows that would give us some ideas of what we wanted to say. So, I chose someone else's vows! We ended up choosing two sets, combining them, and eliminating some of the wording that didn't fit us. 

• We totally stole our favor idea of Olive Oils from our friends wedding, and their choice of "Shout" as their last dance song.

• Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    My celebrant sent me 10 pages of vows that would give us some ideas of what we wanted to say. So, I chose someone else's vows! We ended up choosing two sets, combining them, and eliminating some of the wording that didn't fit us. 
    I wrote my whole ceremony. Or rather, I found some really great ceremonies online that seemed to fit FI and I so well that I combined parts from several of them. My officiant is a dear friend of mine, but she's got 2 small children, a full-time job, and is about to put her house on the market - she doesn't have the time to go hunting for all these things online. I asked if it would be easier for me to come up with something that she could add to/subtract from/tweak as she sees fit, and she thought that was a good idea. But yea, totally using other people's ceremonies.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• A friend of mine had a beautiful wedding with lots of pinks. Since I'm using the same colors and have similar taste, I told her I was looking at her Facebook pictures for ideas to steal. She is awesome and offered to let me use some of the decorations she had left over.
  • Danger+ZoneDanger+Zone member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2014
    My cousin got married on his mother (my aunt's) birthday. After the reception, some of us went out to celebrate at a near by bar/club for her 50th! It was actually a great! I'm not a club person, but I thought it was a clever way for people to party a little harder after the reception (for those who are into it) because their reception as pretty low key as far as dancing and alcohol. Plus, I've never seen my mother and aunts loosen up like that before. It was a blast.

I'm thinking of doing the same myself. My SO's family likes to drink and party. Tequila shots are a tradition at a Mexican wedding, apparently. My family? Not so much into that. Some would be, some wouldn't. I thought it would be nice to have an after-party-party for those who do. So a nice dinner and light music/dancing during a more low-key reception...and then as the night winds down, if people are still in the mood to party, just heading to a club afterward.
  • I've learned more what NOT to do from weddings I've attended than what TO do.  I did get the inspiration for our diy centerpieces online.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I stole the river rock idea for my wedding too.  I actually LOVE how it came out.

And, since FI and I didn't want to do a first look, I did a first look with my dad and my son, as well as having dad and my son walk me down the aisle.  That was cool.  :)

I also jacked where I did my bridal portraits from my bestie.

• I've learned more what NOT to do from weddings I've attended than what TO do.  I did get the inspiration for our diy centerpieces online.

Ditto this.

However, I'm sort of stealing our reception venue and caterer from my cousin who got married a few weeks ago.  It's only sort of stealing b/c they got married first, but we had the ideas for everything before we went to their wedding or knew about it.

I guess you could say I've stolen a lot of things from other peoples' weddings via pinterest (other than the ridiculous/cheesy crap).

• Wow. I absolutely love the idea of a first look with your father! Consider that idea stolen from the two knotties that mentioned it! :)

@shrekspeare found the story. I have no words.
  • I am using a bunch of vendors my sister used. They were great and I am too lazy to look for more :)
  • MuppetOverlord's caricaturist idea. I mentioned it to FI and he fell in love with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I literally stole the text of my cousin's Prayer of the Faithful, changed our names and am going with that.   I read it at her wedding about 6 years ago so I figured she wouldn't mind.   I just found a copy of it in my email(thankfully I never delete anything).   Her sister is reading it at mine.   I doubt anyone, including my cousin or her husband will notice.

• Our favorite wedding we've attended was for a friend of ours and we loved the casual nature of their reception, which fit them very well. We wanted to capture that same feel, so we are also having a BBQ buffet for our food. Different food vendor, but the idea came from them and we hope it turns out as well as theirs did. Our venue is a brewery and I also think it fits well with that too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Love the first look with dad idea!

We booked our photo booth after my cousin's wedding. He was great and inexpensive.

Two special things that we stole from blogs/ pinterest:
    (1) We are having a Neruda poem hand-lettered on a backdrop for the ceremony. Saw the pic on pinterest and my fiancee loved it! We both went to Catholic school from kindergarten through college so we're doing it ourselves. Same concept, different Neruda poem! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/462252349224843229/

(2) We are having a ring warming. We've asked six couples whose marriages we admire to say a silent blessing over our rings.
    http://offbeatbride.com/2009/08/ring-warming-wedding#.UzWejoV9Woh

Love hearing everyone's ideas!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mcgarci2 said:
    I'm curious to see what things knotties have stolen or borrowed that they liked from another wedding?

I had a friend who had both parents walk her down the aisle and I loved it, so I'm having mine do the same. :)
    If I had to steal something from a wedding I've been to, it would be terrible. A cash bar, tiered reception (that was a close one!), horse manure, or food poisoning. I've opted to stay away from those. 

Most of the things I'm doing are pretty commonplace at weddings. Except Fi is going to have a grape soda badge instead of a bout. :]
    Like from Up? So cute. My sister had a grape soda badge on her bouquet that I had gotten for the Up-themed wedding shower I threw her. :) 
  • I stole my guestbook idea. We are big travelers, so we ordered all vintage postcards that people will sign and throw into a vintage looking suitcase (it's the size of a laptop, not an actual suitcase). 

And I made a friend on here in my area- I'm stealing her videographer, ceremony reading, bakery. I also loved her headband but it turned out to be one I had already been eyeing to buy so I guess that's not stealing lol. 
    Stealing my brother's honeymoon resort. 

• A friend of mine had a beautiful wedding with lots of pinks. Since I'm using the same colors and have similar taste, I told her I was looking at her Facebook pictures for ideas to steal. She is awesome and offered to let me use some of the decorations she had left over.
    Okay, now THIS is an awesome friend. Look at how many threads we see from brides freaking out that their friend is getting married three months BEFORE them or their friend chose a shade of blue, different from theirs, but STILL BLUE ZOMG.

Meanwhile, your friend is not only happy about your color choice but offering to let you use some of her decorations.

Holy cats. I give your friend the highest of fives.

I know, right?! She brought some beautiful silk flower decorations to my house when she was in town, and told me I could use anything in the pictures that hadn't been a rented decoration. I'm so glad she is the generous person she is. I'm attaching the picture of what she is loaning to me at the moment. I think I have twelve of these.
  • Ooooohhhh... those are pretty. We had shepherd hooks too, but we used candles in glass votive containers (not Mason jars). 

I wanted to have candles along the edges of the aisle, but H pointed out that my dress, a ballgown, would be a fire hazard, so we moved them to hooks.
  • MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    I just have the flower ball ornaments. The hooks were rented, but I have two ideas on how to display the flowers along the aisle. One idea is to hang them up, and the second is to have them laying on the floor. I'm still deciding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards