Nevada-Las Vegas

Letting my Freak Flag Fly!

So I just got finished reading all the posts about etiquette and how us Vegas gals don't mesh. Well I am 100% having the wedding of my dreams, and none of it fits in with what the etiquette board would deem okay! I went to that board once and there was so much hatred, I haven't been back. They would shun me anyway.
I didn't do traditional invitations and I had everyone RSVP through email.  I didn't invite everyone I should've because it's a small wedding so we had to pick and choose. I am not having a dance, just a simple dinner and drinks. I don't have a registry. Cash would be nice but I didn't ask for it. I'll get what I get and be happy with it. I'm sure I screwed up on the etiquette somewhere else but who give a flying fart! My point is...I'm happy. My family is happy. No one will be saying ten years from now that I was tacky! I don't hang out with anyone who cares or is that judgmental!
I am marrying the man that I love, shouldn't that be all that matters. Women need to stop tearing down women over petty nonsense. Reminds me of high school, and to be honest, I rebelled then too!
So ladies who don't care. Let your Freak Flag Fly and I hope you have the most fabulously tacky wedding ever!! I know I will :)

Re: Letting my Freak Flag Fly!

• Lmao oh mo you have me laughing with the big daddy!! Hahaha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • I love this post! We aren't going by the book either I'm not having a bridal shower and will not be hosting our meet n greet dinner the day before our wedding. No dance reception either just heavy appetizers with cake and champagne in our suite. All of our guests are super excited so who gives a crap what anyone else says lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  •  Women need to stop tearing down women over petty nonsense.
    THIS!!! <3
  • Mo your wedding is quirky not tacky!  I want to come to your wedding it sounds like so much fun!  I can't wait to see the pictures!!  

As far as etiquette goes, you don't have to have a shower, or registry, bachelorette  party etc...  You should host your guests properly to thank them for attending your wedding.  Everyone here appears to be doing that.  It doesn't have to be an extravagant affair it just should be something.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So I just got finished reading all the posts about etiquette and how us Vegas gals don't mesh. Well I am 100% having the wedding of my dreams, and none of it fits in with what the etiquette board would deem okay! I went to that board once and there was so much hatred, I haven't been back. They would shun me anyway.
    I didn't do traditional invitations and I had everyone RSVP through email.  I didn't invite everyone I should've because it's a small wedding so we had to pick and choose. I am not having a dance, just a simple dinner and drinks. I don't have a registry. Cash would be nice but I didn't ask for it. I'll get what I get and be happy with it. I'm sure I screwed up on the etiquette somewhere else but who give a flying fart! My point is...I'm happy. My family is happy. No one will be saying ten years from now that I was tacky! I don't hang out with anyone who cares or is that judgmental!
    I am marrying the man that I love, shouldn't that be all that matters. Women need to stop tearing down women over petty nonsense. Reminds me of high school, and to be honest, I rebelled then too!
    So ladies who don't care. Let your Freak Flag Fly and I hope you have the most fabulously tacky wedding ever!! I know I will :)
    Preach sister. I've been saying the same thing... no brideshaming! Etiquette, shmetiquette. People who buy into the fact that there are certain "wedding rules" you have to follow are conforming to what the $40 BILLION wedding industry wants them to. One size fits all doesn't work for people in the same way it doesn't work for weddings. 
  • and no one will give a crap about my "$2 party platter" at my reception LOL!! 
    I love this post! I'm marrying my man, we are doing almost EVERYTHING not by the book and i could care less, we aren't putting my family in huge financial debt over our wedding, but instead we will be having a blast and our well deserved vacation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the reason any of us chose to go to Vegas is to do something different and fun. If we were worried about what the Etiquette Police have to say, we would have done everything that everyone else does! We're all different in our own way and that includes who we invite and how we invite as well as how we host or choose to entertain based on affordability and just plain old what we desire to have for our wedding. No one else has the right to say whether we're right or wrong for any of our choices. Mo...you totally win though. I totally wanna come to your wedding lol. I would love to watch it all go down!! BTW, I'm not having extra flowers, table centre pieces or favours. We're spending all our money on our reception dinner, transportation and room! I want somewhat simple and fun for everyone I care about and cares about me.
  • Um, nothing anyone in this thread posted is against etiquette. I don't know why you guys have that idea.

I didn't do traditional invitations and I had everyone RSVP through email. - this is fine

I didn't invite everyone I should've because it's a small wedding so we had to pick and choose. - I'm not sure what you mean by "should've", but we only invited close family and friends. This is not against etiquette either.

I am not having a dance, just a simple dinner and drinks. - Also not against etiquette. Dancing is not required. You're feeding your guests, so you're doing the proper thing.

I don't have a registry. Cash would be nice but I didn't ask for it. I'll get what I get and be happy with it.  - This is fine too. It's actually proper to NOT ask for cash. Registries aren't required.

MissMo's bit about "tacky" is fine too. As long as her guests are hosted properly, which they are, then that's fine. We had Elvis at our wedding too. :)

We aren't going by the book either I'm not having a bridal shower - not against etiquette; this is fine

and will not be hosting our meet n greet dinner the day before our wedding - these are not required

No dance reception either just heavy appetizers with cake and champagne in our suite - again, dancing is not required, and you're feeding your guests. Totally fine.

$2 party platters are fine - again, you are feeding your guests

So, all that said, I don't know why everyone's so up in arms? None of these things have anything to do with etiquette. Etiquette is about inviting your best man's girlfriend, feeding your guests (it doesn't have to cost a lot), making sure everyone has a place to sit, not B-listing people, things like that.
  • We will be having Elvis (and hopefully mini Elvis, still working on FI). Party buses, no dancing reception but a big dog party bus, no bridal shower, no bridal party, no registry, no formal invitations and we are having guest RSVP by email or via our website. None of this makes my wedding tacky by etiquette standards as my guests will be properly hosted, and most likely very intoxicated. I agree with @wrigleyville nothing mentioned here is against etiquette and you can Have an amazing outside the box wedding without conforming to a "billion dollar industry." Following etiquette isn't about buying more, having bigger grandee affair, it's about hosting your guests properly.
  • I'm glad everyone has plans like me! My whole purpose for writing this post is because when I did go to the etiquette board, I found my ideas were not what I was "supposed" to do according to their very harsh, rigid opinions. I wanted anyone who felt chastised for going against them to realize there are others who don't care either! Have any damn wedding you want!!  I never felt my wedding wasn't normal or classy, but it's amazing how many old fashioned snobs do :/
  • I'm glad everyone has plans like me! My whole purpose for writing this post is because when I did go to the etiquette board, I found my ideas were not what I was "supposed" to do according to their very harsh, rigid opinions. I wanted anyone who felt chastised for going against them to realize there are others who don't care either! Have any damn wedding you want!!  I never felt my wedding wasn't normal or classy, but it's amazing how many old fashioned snobs do :/
    Exactly! and god forbid you say something that someone doesn't like they use the..."oh she came from the vegas board" line
  • jaytee919 said:
    I'm glad everyone has plans like me! My whole purpose for writing this post is because when I did go to the etiquette board, I found my ideas were not what I was "supposed" to do according to their very harsh, rigid opinions. I wanted anyone who felt chastised for going against them to realize there are others who don't care either! Have any damn wedding you want!!  I never felt my wedding wasn't normal or classy, but it's amazing how many old fashioned snobs do :/
    Exactly! and god forbid you say something that someone doesn't like they use the..."oh she came from the vegas board" line
    I'm confused.  Followed this post over from the etiquette board (the chit chat about Vegas got the best of me)... and OP, you are not doing anything against etiquette!  You sound like a good host.  Sure, you're doing a few things nontraditionally, but that's totally fine.  Tradition =/= etiquette.

Very confused about why everybody's up in arms about etiquette.  Your wedding sounds great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards