Snarky Brides

NWR- I haven't learned my lesson yet...

Chipmunk415Chipmunk415 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited March 2014 in Snarky Brides

DH graduates in 5 weeks. I'm so proud of him- he's put in a lot of work and effort into getting his degree done. In my family, completing education is a huge deal, and I want his graduation to be a special celebration of him and his accomplishments. DH has decided he wants his graduation lunch at a local pizza/pasta grill place, that is known mostly for pizza, wings, and beer. Basically, its a decent sports bar, though the outside seating looks nice. I thought he'd want something nicer, but it's his day, and the food is good there. At the same time, I still want him to have something special, ie, fancy.

Here's the part where I haven't learned my lesson regarding planning celebrations (you'd think I'd be running away screaming from the idea- haven't been married for a month yet and I want to plan something for him). Please note I've run this idea by him, and he's fine with it. Only his parents and mine will be there (my sibs live waay too far away, and his brother and FSIL are saving up vacation time for their wedding later this year- we understand, no big issue, we'll have to visit some other time). So a grand total of 6 people. DH's graduation happens to be the day before Mother's Day.

Here's the plot: after lunch at the restaurant, have the parents come back to our place just down the street, no inconvenience in driving, for dessert and drinks. Use my new wedding china, my grandma's silver, the nice table linens, some flowers, etc, to fancy things up. Have a selection of wine, beer, soda, water (and some cognac or limoncello for my Dad) available. Get lemon cupcakes (DH's favorite) from same place we got wedding cake, have some chocolate dipped strawberries, and other finger/small plate friendly dessert items on the table. Have a quiet little celebration with dessert and drinks, and also give the moms their gifts to enjoy.

Any suggestions on other things to do/have on hand for the at home dessert celebration? Should I have a seperate Mom's dessert for their acknowledgement as well? My folks will probably head back to their home afterwards (2 hrs away) so this will be the only time we get to celebrate with her, and SMIL is pretty laid back about these kinds of celebrations as well.

Re: NWR- I haven't learned my lesson yet...

• Sounds like you just want a tea party
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• as long as by tea you mean tea flavored vodka, then I guess it could be considered a tea party...
  • larrygaga said:
    Sounds like you just want a tea party
    Which is a problem why?  lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Maybe it's just me but it seems like you could throw your fancy party another time and let ya hubs have his casual thing. It sounds like he doesn't want the fancy stuff but I really don't know you guys so I can't say. 

I am surprised you get right back into planning after getting married. bahaha

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• It's not supposed to be a "fancy party" though. Yes, I'm bringing out the good dishes (rather than the correll and paper plates), and putting linens on the table (which we've only just gotten), but it's just us, my folks, and his folks. His brother can't make it, and we're not inviting anyone else- just nice desserts and drinks at our place, celebrating him, and also sorta acknowledging Mother's Day. Though his comment last night is that rather than purchase the desserts pre made, he'd really like it if I baked (I haven't been baking lately) from scratch. Totally doable.
  • I think it sounds very nice. Best of both worlds. Plus extra time with family is always a bonus (in my mind at least).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards