Wedding Invitations & Paper

Thoughts on photos on wedding invitations???

I am designing my wedding invitations online because I have found it more cost effective and because I want them to coordinate with my save the dates which of course, have photos on them.  Problem though.. the only invites that match my save the dates have places to put photos on them!  I am getting mixed responses from friends and family about it so I thought I would ask you all!  Thoughts???  The invite actually looks cute but a lot of my friends are saying that it cheapens the look or makes it seem to casual.  My wedding is at a country club and it is fairly formal.. not black tie formal.. but it is a "jacket preferred" event. Help!

Re: Thoughts on photos on wedding invitations???

• I've received invitations that didn't match the save the date cards. Most that I have received had the same colors, just the wedding colors, but they didn't look like they came as a set together.
  • Invitations don't need to match STDs. I think photos on wedding invitations are a little AWish, especially if you also used a photo on your STD. Also, they're pretty informal, which doesn't match your wedding.
  • STDs don't have to match the invitations whatsoever.  Personally, I don't like when wedding invitations have pictures in them and the couple comes across as AWs. 
  • I don't like the idea of photos on the invitation.  Formal invitations are usual white or ecru with raised black printing.  Invitations are not supposed to look "cute".  This is a formal, important occasion, not a birthday party.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Photos are meant for STDs, not wedding invites. Are you doing Vistaprint? You can typically remove the picture. Many of the STDs also had invitations that matched but you could remove the photo. VP gives you a lot of editing capabilities.
  • Not a fan of photos on invitations, but I don't think they "cheapen" the invitations.  They just look odd to me.
  • I personally think, do what you want, its your wedding. I can't remember 100% of the wedding invites I have received and feel like if anyone had a problem with the layout I choose for a wedding invite they can eat it because its my wedding and I can do it how I want! So get the invites that make you happy!
  • I think it's personally fine to have photos on your invitations. We had photos on our STDs (see my profile pic) and our invitations. We are skydivers and we did a jump in freefall, kissing. We used that for our STDs. Our photo on our invitation was us under parachutes, flying into the sunset. It was very appropriate for us. We had a semiformal event but it didn't clash at all. My husband is very modest and humble so I don't think it came across as being an AW.
  • Save the dates do not match with wedding invitations And the theme of your wedding is formal, hence there is no need to put any photos that might make your wedding invitations look a little odd. I believe photos work well for save the date invitations.

• Not a fan of photos on invitations, especially for a formal wedding.  I would forget trying to match your STDs with your invites (we sent our STDs before we even had invitations or colors picked out!) and pick an invitation that is classic and indicative of the event you are hosting. 
  • For the most part, the STD I receive and the invitations for the same wedding don't usually match.  I didn't have photos on my STD and I certainly didn't have them on my invitations.

However, my sister and BIL did have photos on their invitation, and it worked for them and their personality (they are younger).  It sounds that your wedding is definitely formal, and I think it's probably best to portray that with your invitations, so I wouldn't do pictures.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards