Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridal magazine fails.

2»

Re: Bridal magazine fails.

• Options
    I think the fake registry is worse than the honeymoon registries.  While I don't like honeyfunds and understand the money may or may not go to what the guest intended, AT LEAST they're aware they're contributing to something honeymoon-related and the money will be spent on something honeymoon related. 

With the fake registry the guest is literally being lied to about where their money is going.  They think they're buying a thoughtful gift the bride and groom wants, but PSYCH!  The money goes right into their pocket and can be spent on anything.  I just hate that- If someone is spending money they should know where their money is going. 
  • Options
    I hope their guests come over for dinner in the future and say, "let's use that fancy china we got you for your wedding"
  • Options
    How would you even write thank you notes for that kind of registry?? "Thank you for the ____ you chose to give us, but we decided we needed cash more. xoxox!!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think the fake registry is worse than the honeymoon registries.  While I don't like honeyfunds and understand the money may or may not go to what the guest intended, AT LEAST they're aware they're contributing to something honeymoon-related and the money will be spent on something honeymoon related. 

With the fake registry the guest is literally being lied to about where their money is going.  They think they're buying a thoughtful gift the bride and groom wants, but PSYCH!  The money goes right into their pocket and can be spent on anything.  I just hate that- If someone is spending money they should know where their money is going. 

I'd truly love to know how many couples actually use monies from HM registries towards their honeymoons.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    jlk33 said:
    "Example 2: 69% of brides purchase jewelry as their bridesmaids gift! much like the generic bracelet pictured"

Why is jewelry a poor gift for bridesmaids?  (Sorry, I'm new around these parts and am trying to get caught up with all you savvy ladies :)  )  

Edit:  Geez, obviously I'm new...couldn't even figure out how to quote someone  :x
    Jewelry itself is not a problem. It is only a problem if you do one of two things: 1. your thank-you gift to your bridesmaids is jewelry that you expect them to wear at the wedding. In that case, you aren't really getting them a gift, but decor for your own wedding because it's what you want. 2. You give them something generic without considering what they like. If the girls all happen to like silver bracelets, feel free to get all of them silver bracelets. But it's more likely that each one has her own personality, and you should take that into consideration when buying gifts for them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @jlk33, anything that's purchased as part of the bridesmaids' "uniform" (dress, shoes, jewelry, etc.) really isn't a gift for them. It's more props for your photos - make sense? Gifts for your bridesmaids should be more like you shopped for their birthdays or Christmas, and they definitely don't all have to be the same. The sports lover could get apparel from her favorite team, the reader could get an accessory for her Kindle and gift card for more books, the wine lover could get a couple nice bottles of wine, etc.

ETA: @inkdancer is wise and posts much more quickly than I do today.
  • Options
    Since I first heard of Zola from a PPD (wanted to wait for marriage to have marital relations, didn't want to wait to the actual wedding. Yes, seriously. I spit my drink out at hearing that.) who listed out the dress requirements and had a three hour unhosted gap - I put it as epic fail.

Why are you registering for things you don't want?

Plus, if a gift is purchased with a credit card or unknown (assumption being most purchases are card), I thought there was federal banking regulations that say the refund goes back on to the account card or store credit. So really, why?
  • Options
    Not that this is a bridal magazine fail, but I just wanted to be snarky and bitch about something. My ex-best friend is having a full Catholic mass ceremony at 1pm, and the reception starts at 5. 2-3 hour gap. I can fully justify us no longer being friends.
  • Options
    I don't get the Zola thing... most people I know buy you a gift off your registry, ship it to themselves, and bring it, wrapped, to your wedding.  The only gifts I've ever seen shipped to the B&G were from people who weren't able to attend, but wanted to send a gift anyway.  I'd never attend a wedding without bringing a gift or a card with money enclosed!
  • Options
    Not that this is a bridal magazine fail, but I just wanted to be snarky and bitch about something. My ex-best friend is having a full Catholic mass ceremony at 1pm, and the reception starts at 5. 2-3 hour gap. I can fully justify us no longer being friends.
    I cannot believe her church wouldn't change the time of their regular Mass/Confession/Funeral schedule to accommodate her desire for an evening reception...snort.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

But I'm sure she chose the dream venue, so obviously the guests will understand that this gap had to happen! They'll be thrilled to wait around for 3 hours cuz, hello, it's what the bride wants! Ugh. Definitely a good reason to justify no longer being friends.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Is it okay for *part* of the bridesmaid gift to be a piece of jewelry you all wear?

Also, maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with the groomsmen wearing socks?
  • Options
    The socks aren't the problem. It's the expectation that your bridal party should do whatever you want, on their dime. They're not carbon copies, they're unique individuals and should be treated as such.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Is it okay for *part* of the bridesmaid gift to be a piece of jewelry you all wear?

Also, maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with the groomsmen wearing socks?

I love getting jewelry as a gift, so if your girls are like me, it would be ok. If it's jewelry that's required to be worn, I wouldn't call that my gift to them, but you could still get the jewelry. ............…………...............................…………...............…………...............………….... I thought that too about the socks. I get that maybe some people are micromanaging every aspect of their weddings, but I kind of think the list in the original post was a little too much. I don't see anything wrong with having the guys wear matching socks, if they were all comfortable with it (my friends would be as long as the socks were actually comfortable and not itchy) and if the groom buys the socks. Making a shy guy wear something he didn't like would be a jerk move, or making people buy the matching socks themselves would be inconsiderate.
  • Options
    @LauraMichael2015, it would really be better if the jewelry was something the BMs would wear anyway, if it was something in their style. However, if you're requiring them to wear a certain piece of jewelry, they shouldn't have to buy it and IMO it shouldn't be part of the gift.
  • Options
    I feel like the jewelry thing is fine as long as you get them other things. I am only putting the bridesmaids jewelry in the box with the other bridesmaids gifts because it looks nice all together and then I can give it to them all at the rehearsal dinner. Like I'll have the jewelry in there along with something personal that I feel each of the girls would like plus perfume and lotion. As long as the jewelry isn't the "focus" of the gift I think you're set!
  • Options
    I'm getting at least two of my girls jewelry as their gift. Still deciding on what I'll get for the other girls. The jewelry I picked looks like something these two would love. They aren't meant to be worn during my wedding, but they can be. Both jewelry items are different, as well. The two girls aren't getting matching items.
  • Options
    loro929loro929 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Grrrrr page 130 of the March-April issue of Brides (referencing the importance of a valid marriage license, especially for DW brides), and I quote "destination brides: quadruple check local laws; some countries have residency or blood-test requirements. Or hold a quiet (or even secret!) civil ceremony in the U.S. before you go to be safe. C'mon. Brides magazine. No, just no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Molly&Domenic okay, thanks! My fiancé and his groomsmen are extremely close (like, contemplated matching tattoos close! Haha) and I feel like they'd all get Pacman socks made with each of the ghosts on them.

Was hoping that it wouldn't somehow offend my guests if the men wore socks other than black! :)

• Options
    @LauraMichael2015, it would really be better if the jewelry was something the BMs would wear anyway, if it was something in their style. However, if you're requiring them to wear a certain piece of jewelry, they shouldn't have to buy it and IMO it shouldn't be part of the gift.
    @KeptInStitches - I'm buying matching bracelets for all my 'maids, MOH, mother, and fiance's mom. If it's not a gift, how else do I give it to them? Surprise carrier pigeon? :P
  • Options
    @LauraMichael2015, I just mean it's not part of their BM gift. You can give it to them and say you want them to wear it for the wedding, but their BM gifts should be more personalized.
  • Options
    @KeptInStitches thank you! we're all similar in age and (overall) tastes, so I guess I was combining them in my mind. They're getting individual presents that aren't wedding-related, so I think I'm in the clear! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards