Snarky Brides

Something you stole from another wedding

Re: Something you stole from another wedding

• @GlitterWitch22 Darn! You had me all excited to see what it was! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker}
  •  
    At a wedding I went to in the fall, they called ALL men/women ages 18 and up to the floor and tossed a bouquet and garter with lottery tickets tied to them. As soon as they announced it was for everyone and there were lottery tickets involved, all of a sudden a huge crowd came to the floor and it ended up being a riot! :) It became such a fun game without all the weird "this is who's getting married next" crap.
    I love, love, love this idea. We aren't currently planning on a bouquet/garter toss for the simple reason that there will be 5 single gals at our wedding and the majority of them don't want that announced to the world. We were just going to do an Anniversary Dance instead, however, FI's parents just got divorced after 30 years of marriage and I don't want to hurt his mom's feelings. Perhaps this idea is the best of both worlds! :)
  • We're stealing the DJ from one wedding - dude was amazing!   Other than that... I don't think anything else?  Of the weddings I've attended, 99% of the elements are things that I would never want in my own wedding (although they were nice for the couples who used them!). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • I'm stealing the idea of a first look thanks to @GlitterWitch22 :)

I'm also stealing the idea of greeting my guests individually as we leave the church. A friend of mine did this andI love it and my FMIL suggested we do it. What they did is after being "presented" they and the WP walk down the aisle like normal. And then the B & G came back up the aisle and "dismissed" each row and saw everyone then rather than at the door of the church.

• MuppetOverlord's caricaturist idea. I mentioned it to FI and he fell in love with it.

I wish we had stolen this. I love the idea.

We stole the ceremony location. BIL/ SIL got married a few years before us, so we used their same church since we knew they were easy to work with.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @RedJacks25 I remember that being mentioned and now that you brought it up again I'm copying you stealing that.  It's a wonderful idea!  I am glad to see that we have brides that have such out of the box ideas and I can surprise my guests with something new. :)
  • @KatWAG Saw the baby changed to a honeydew from a coconut! How exciting!
  • I love the first look with dad idea! Too bad my dad would be all like wtf do you want to do that? And probably say he doesn't like my dress or something. Sigh. Maybe I'll do something like that but with my whole family or bridesmaids or something.

I haven't really stolen anything from anyone I know. There's little ideas I've taken here and there from pinterest or whatever (no, no burlap!) but nothing huge. FI did really like that a friend had a photobooth back before they were super popular=super expensive, so I'll set up a DIY one with my own camera, tripod, etc. 

We might end up sort of stealing my sister's honeymoon. They went to Orlando when they got married in '99. We really want a beachey location but couldn't afford Hawaii and FL is pretty convenient and cheap right now. And Harry Potter theme park...
  • @mcgarci2 Thanks! I am heading to the doctor today to see where this melon is sitting. Shit is getting real.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We might be kind of stealing an old friend's first dance song, but only because it's pure coincidence that she danced to my superalltimefavoritesongever (10 years ago, and I haven't seen her since her wedding).

I love the lottery ticket idea! We won't have many singles at our wedding either, and definitely won't be doing the garter take-off/put-back-on awfulness, but I still wanted SOMETHING. We also have a lot of divorces and widows in our families so I don't really want an anniversary dance to call attention to that. I had thought about doing a 'trick' bouquet that's really just a bunch of loose flowers that will all come apart in midair so everyone can catch one... but scratch-offs might be a better idea.

• Lolo8383 said:
    We might be kind of stealing an old friend's first dance song, but only because it's pure coincidence that she danced to my superalltimefavoritesongever (10 years ago, and I haven't seen her since her wedding).

I love the lottery ticket idea! We won't have many singles at our wedding either, and definitely won't be doing the garter take-off/put-back-on awfulness, but I still wanted SOMETHING. We also have a lot of divorces and widows in our families so I don't really want an anniversary dance to call attention to that. I had thought about doing a 'trick' bouquet that's really just a bunch of loose flowers that will all come apart in midair so everyone can catch one... but scratch-offs might be a better idea.

Oh I like the trick bouquet idea! That would also look really cool having flowers thrown everywhere.

• FiancB said:
    I love the first look with dad idea! Too bad my dad would be all like wtf do you want to do that? And probably say he doesn't like my dress or something. Sigh. Maybe I'll do something like that but with my whole family or bridesmaids or something.

I haven't really stolen anything from anyone I know. There's little ideas I've taken here and there from pinterest or whatever (no, no burlap!) but nothing huge. FI did really like that a friend had a photobooth back before they were super popular=super expensive, so I'll set up a DIY one with my own camera, tripod, etc. 

We might end up sort of stealing my sister's honeymoon. They went to Orlando when they got married in '99. We really want a beachey location but couldn't afford Hawaii and FL is pretty convenient and cheap right now. And Harry Potter theme park...
    We just got back this weekend from our honeymoon in Orlando! We splurged for an amazing resort a little ways out of the city to get away from the hubbub of the parks. And we got the Orlando Flex Tickets that get you into both Universal parks, the Universal water park, Sea World, and the Sea World water park. We went to a different park each day. We had a blast! It was amazing. If you decide to go, PM me if you need any recommendations for where to stay or what to do while there.
    Anniversary
  • @fiancb My dad is like that too! He's not "emotional". He didn't even stay for my brother's whole wedding because he was tired. When my nephew (his first grandson) was born he didn't even fly in to visit for 6 months. He's just not an "I love you" person even though I know he adores me, he's not the type to show it. He would definitely think the first look was weird and he would just stand there with no facial emotions. But I can't wait to do it with FI!! 

• I stole the idea of a champagne greeting from somewhere here on TK. I thought it was really cute and I know my guests will love it. I also stole a couple ideas for flowers and decorations from Pinterest. Most of the weddings I've been to have all been kind of the same standard church, ball room, dinner, dance so there really wasn't anything to steal.
  • I stole the "Irish Hands Ceremony" recommended from another knottie. My brother and his wife then used it at their wedding along with our reverend too :)

Anniversary
  • @tammym1001 what is a champagne greeting?
  • mcgarci2 said:
    @tammym1001 what is a champagne greeting?
    Guests will be greeted by waiters with glasses of champagne for them as they come into the wedding ceremony. 
  • My cousin had small bells on every table that had a tag on each bell, saying "Ring for the bride and groom to share a kiss!"

I'm not going to do a bell on every table, I'm going to have one large bell.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • My cousin had small bells on every table that had a tag on each bell, saying "Ring for the bride and groom to share a kiss!"

I think this is cute but my FI would die... it took him 9 months to be comfortable holding hands in public!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll

Why cant you just kiss when you want to? I would think ringing a bell would be really awkward and distract from the flow of the event.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I stole most of my mom's wedding, lol.  She married my stepfather a few years before my wedding and offered to plan my wedding for me (because I was OOT from the area).  She asked if it was okay if she used the same food and cake.  It was delicious, so fine with me!

My unique idea was to have bride/groom rubber duckies as the cake toppers.  I love me some rubber duckies and have a collection, so it was just very me.  Fortunately my husband is a good sport and liked the idea too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One idea I took was from another knottie... since my FI refuses to do first look photos, my dad and I are going to instead. When I told my mom that I wanted to do this, she teared up and thought it was so special.
    Oh my word I am in love with this idea! My FI refuses a first look too! He's intermittently superstitious :P My dad is so important to me and I think I will incorporate this into our day :) Thanks for sharing! 
  • I didn't see this at another wedding in person but I saw it on the internet. I think its so cool for an artist to come and paint a landscape portrait of the wedding happening. I think I would be more likely to hang a painting up more than actual photo.
  • I am stealing my JP!! Did a friends wedding and was great!! 
    Stole a guest "song request" on the RSVP cards...  We really liked it and since out guests won't have to choose a meal -we are doing stations - it gives people a reason to send them back!! 

• Stole the nice dinner vs full blown reception. But it was the restaurant owner who offered us the room and meal if we wanted the small wedding his daughter (one of my best friends) and I talked about the year prior. Yes please! Oh darn, we can only have 58 guests, can't invite everyone.

Brooch bouquet, I found on pintrest.

My dress is from DF's grandma.
  • Using fruit to decorate the cakes my mom is making-pinterest

Jordan almonds-Italian tradition

TARDIS at reception-Off Beat Bride, I forget which wedding.

And if our venue allowed outside alcohol, our friends would've made us a wedding beer the same as theirs had been.
  • beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I'm going to steal the Dad first look thing. I know we're both going to ugly cry, so if we can get it out of the way so that I don't look like a bad horror movie monster walking down the aisle, I'm all for it.

I'd never been to a non-cash-bar wedding as an adult before last year, but we went to one where the bride and groom bought a few bottles of booze every weekend to prepare for the reception. It was a great idea, and we are going to do that. Open bar, and we're going to have our two favorite bartenders serve because they do a fantastic job.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I just stole something off of this thread!  lol  I think I'm going to have to do a first look with my daughter.  She will be five.  I can't wait!  I haven't stolen ideas from other weddings as our is pretty out of the ordinary from what we typically go to.  Our is outdoors.  We've attended all indoor.  Our colors are amethyst and emerald (our birthstones).  Most of the others I've been too are baby blues, lilacs, hot pinks, zebra prints (yes I know!).  I tend to get some inspiration off Pinterest then go on my own and do it my way.  I am contemplating a "fake first look" with FI.  Basically we would both be in the picture together but with me at the top of the staircase balcony looking down and him under the balcony looking up.  But we wouldn't be able to see each other.  
  • We stole our reception location from FSIL/FBIL. Basically because they highly recommended it and they we're a steal.

I think i'm going to steal the lottery ticket on the bouquet/garter thing. I really didn't wanna do it because i'm quite shy and just didn't feel comfortable with the idea of my FI going up my dress infront of people... But my parents are all traditional and kept telling me i'm taking all the fun away haha. But I think it'll be fun for the quests if we do it that way, and I could suck it up for a little fun for my quests!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • I am stealing @QueerFemme‌ idea tor snapping the neckline of my dress to my bra.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards