Getting in Shape

Medi/Medical Weight Loss Clinic

nikkimaceronikkimacero member
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
edited March 2014 in Getting in Shape
Hi brides! I am interested in joining the a medi-weight loss clinic and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this method? I have a consultation with them tomorrow, but I wanted to hear some personal experiences, thanks! 

Re: Medi/Medical Weight Loss Clinic

• One of my acquaintances lost a lot of weight on Medifast (is that the same program you are referring to?). Since he lost the weight, he stopped using the Medifast products and so he gained a bunch of it back. The problem with these types of programs is that you are dependent on the products that they make, rather than changing your overall behavior to create health and wellness in your life. I would ask the consultant about the process for overall sustainment in the long term is. That's my 2 cents. 
  • Great to hear.. I have an appointment with the nurse practitioner tomorrow. She will be giving me a full physical, including an EKG and blood work. On this program you eat your own food, and you receive B12 shots once/week. Every week you meet with the NP and get weighed. Once your goal is reached, you start the maintenance phase.
  • Not gonna lie, I'm on the same type of program right now.
    I was also in the program back in 2007. I was in my mid-twenties and thought I was morbidly obese at 143 pounds (I'm 5' tall with shoes on). I lost 9 pounds of water-weight the first week and another 6 pounds the second week. After that, they "kicked me out" of the program saying my BMI was too low. I continued to lose weight however because my mom (who was also on the program) would let me use her meds. I got all the way down to 113 pounds before I decided enough was enough. I put back on 4 or 5 pounds after taking the meds and stopping the B12 shots, but I maintained that weight for 3 years- until I started my student teaching for my teaching certificate. I tanked back up plus 15 more pounds,simply because of the stress and sedentary lifestyle of teaching all day only to come home and sit down to write the next day's lesson plans & prepare for class. It was awful. 

I've battled my weight since then- up and down, up and down. Trained for a half marathon, lost 15 pounds. Started vet school, gained 20. Worked out, calorie counted, trained for a 5k- lost 20. Started second year of vet school, gained 25. 

I'm back on the Medi program because my wedding day is in June. I REFUSED to be at my absolute heaviest (166 pounds) ever on the day I finally marry my guy of 12 years. I started the program last Tuesday- the 11th. As of this morning- day 10- I've lost 13 pounds and I can actually fit into my clothes properly for once. My goal is to be in the 130s by my wedding day. 

I'm not saying this program is for everyone, but good Lord I can't deny that it works. Be aware that you will feel a little dizzy at times, and foods will NOT taste the same. (I'm assuming you're doing the appetite suppressant program where they give you Phentermine?) I think the Rx interferes with your taste buds' receptors because certain foods that you loved before just won't taste good anymore. Some things will taste like cardboard. Personally I don't taste anything unless it's spicy/heavily spiced.  

Like I said, I was able to keep the weight off for years after I completed the "weight loss" phase. A complete and sudden change of lifestyle is what made me tank back up. Also, when I went back this time, my bloodwork showed that I've developed hypothyroidism as I've gotten older, so the doctor prescribed thyroid supplement. That could definitely have contributed to my issues over the past few years.

Anywho. Good luck, I wish you all the best! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • nikkimaceronikkimacero member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2014
    Thank you so much for responding! I believe we are talking about the same program because they also prescribed me phentermine. I met my FI 3 years ago, and since then I gained 20 pounds. my wedding isn't until 7/4/15, so I am determined to lose the weight! I am also graduating from nursing school in May with my BSN, so I understand the stress eating. I am extremely happy because today is day 5 and I already lost 7 pounds! The pills are like gold, I am never hungry. Have you been getting the B complex shots? I am so glad that you reached out to say that it works, since the program is not easy on the wallet LOL 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got one B12 shot the day I started the program, but since I go to school in a different state I am not able to get one every week. They told me that was ok, I'll just get them when I get back home in a few weeks. 

And you are correct, it's not easy on the wallet at all, but it's worth it. Congrats on the weight loss so far! Keep up the good work :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Had my first weigh-in this week and I am down 9.5 lbs! Even though I know it won't be this much every week, I'm still excited! 
  • Hey @nikkimacero, how's your progress so far? I had lost 15 pounds by the end of week two, but I haven't budged since then! I've hit a plateau and haven't lost a damn ounce in the past week. I've been eating about 1000 calories a day, doing some walking/jogging (as much as my bum ankle that I twisted last fall will let me) and even some cardio dance classes, plus I drink absolutely nothing but water. Nothing in the last week. I'm tempted to call the clinic and see what I can do differently to jump-start the weight loss again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jalyndani said:
    Hey @nikkimacero, how's your progress so far? I had lost 15 pounds by the end of week two, but I haven't budged since then! I've hit a plateau and haven't lost a damn ounce in the past week. I've been eating about 1000 calories a day, doing some walking/jogging (as much as my bum ankle that I twisted last fall will let me) and even some cardio dance classes, plus I drink absolutely nothing but water. Nothing in the last week. I'm tempted to call the clinic and see what I can do differently to jump-start the weight loss again.

Take this from someone who has struggled with weight her whole life.  You are probably not eating enough calories.  Most medical doctors recommend 1200 calories a day, minimum.  And if you are exercising, usually, you need to eat even more than that.   You might need to add some more healthy calories into your day. 

Every time I've eaten 1000 or less calories, I end up stuck.

• @jalyndani I just hit the 14lb mark! can't believe it.. i feel so much healthier and people are really starting to notice. Try and drink more water! i know it seems impossible, but i think it will help! 
  • If I drink any more water, I'll sink a battleship! :P 

I called my clinic and told them what was going on. They determined that even though I'm eating less calories, I was still taking in too many carbs! Ugh. So I'm on a low-carb, lean meat only meal plan now...and I've lost 2 more pounds since I posted the other day. So I'm at a total of 17 pounds lost at this point. Finally! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards