April 2014 Weddings

Do all of you have your wedding dresses?

Hi!

Do all of you have your dresses? I ordered mine back in December and it is supposed to at the store next week. I'm getting a little nervous that it is getting too close to the wedding date. What if it doesn't get here next week? What about alterations? Did any of you had your alterations done already?

Anniversary

Re: Do all of you have your wedding dresses?

• edited March 2014
    My wedding is in 2 weeks.  Ordered dress in July and arrived in November.  Had 3 fittings starting in January and finishing last week.  I pick it up next week.  Depending on how much it has to be altered, you may have to pay for an expedited fitting and alteration schedule.  If it's a higher end designer, the gowns are more custom fit and likely will need less alterations.
  • Mine came in about a month ago. The expected timeline was early March so I was really relieved to have my first fitting in the last week of February. My dress needed quite a bit of alterations so it's been about a month. I have my second fitting on Tuesday. So much had to be done to the top of the dress that they wouldn't even look at the length until they see how it will lay once the top fits. The bridal shop where I ordered my dress won't start alterations less than 30 days out from the wedding. I'd check with the shop to find out their policy.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amm88amm88 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment

Newborndoc2008:

Did you have to have 3 fittings because a lot had to be changed? Was it that different from what you tried on first?

Thanks!

Anniversary

• amm88amm88 member

cms519:

Why did your dress need quite a bit of alterations? Was the size not correct, were you measured? I'm just curious about the process as it seems that if measurements are taken, not a lot of alterations should be needed.

Thanks!

Anniversary

• akastner8:

I was measured. There are two reasons for the alterations:
    I'm not the same size all over so they ordered for the biggest part of me (my hips).
    The other issue is that I'm only 5'4 so even though the dress wouldn't have needed a ton of alterations to have it fit AROUND me, they basically needed to take the whole neckline off and rebuild it for height.

This is my dress: http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/wedding_dresses/8688

A strapless dress may have required fewer alterations. Because of the defined waist and the collar, they had to do a lot of work on it.

I loved the dress so much when I saw it online that I actually had the bridal shop order it for me even though they couldn't get it in for me to try it on. (The designer only had a sample to send in a size 8-- and there was no way I was getting a bridal size 8 over my backside!) I'm thrilled with the dress and I can't wait to put it on again on Tuesday! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • akastner, I've had mine for a while, but I did need to have it altered twice even after they took my measurements for the original sizing for the dress. I had to have it taken up more I think and then also the side that is strapless (it's asymmetrical) had to be fixed cause the top was sticking out too far. I'm sure that your shop will know how soon your wedding is coming and will make yours a priority, but it doesn't hurt to remind them!

@cms, just had to say your dress is beautiful!!
  • edited March 2014
    So we actually over altered the first time so had to undo some things at the second fitting. In the end I only needed darts in the back to fix the length and bust. So we had to undo the hem and elastic in the bust. The last fitting was perfect. My dress has a detachable train so no bustle at least. http://www.lea-annbelter.com/2013_collection_farrah.php
  • amm88amm88 member
    cms519 and Newborndoc2008:

Both of your dress are gorgeous! Very different styles, but they're both so pretty! I'm glad to hear that the alteration process wasn't too bad and that you'll have your dresses soon.

Anniversary

• amm88amm88 member
    ewithnell:

I'll call and check with them next week if I don't hear from them. As long as my dress doesn't need a lot of alterations it should be fine. Thanks for the tip!

Anniversary

• Thanks for the kind words about my dress, akaster8 and ewithnell!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine was a sample sale, so it was way too big. It took about 3 months to have it altered, but is well worth it. I'll pick it up on Saturday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amm88amm88 member
    That's great that you're picking it up on Saturday. I think you and I are getting married on the same day, Luckystarz. Are you getting married on 4/26? I called my wedding dress store yesterday and they said that my dress should be here by 3/31. I just hope that it won't need a lot of alterations, because I won't have much time for them before the wedding.

Anniversary

• @akastner8 we're date twins! I ordered my dress last March and it came in in September. My fittings started in January. My final fitting is April 4, and I pick up my dress to take home the week of the wedding. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • amm88amm88 member
    kristbot:

That is so cool that we're date twins! I saw your dress on the other discussion and it is beautiful! I've realized that I should have ordered my dress earlier (I ordered it in December), but I really didn't know the process took so long. I still haven't heard from the store, but they said it should be in by 3/31, I can't wait!

Anniversary

• Weighing in with a fitting update! Went for my second fitting last night. The dress fit MUCH better than it did the first time I tried it on but they still have a bunch of tweaking to do to get the fit on the top of the dress PERFECT!

The salon where I ordered my dress had a flat fee package for alterations, and while it was pricey, I am so glad that they did because I don't have to worry about nickel and dime-ing until they get it right.

In addition to the additional fitting on the top, they pinned the hem and we figured out the bustle details. I'm having a standard, three-point bustle. They showed me two options of the back length- one that left a few inches of the train laying on the floor behind me. It looked gorgeous but I plan on spending too much time on the dance floor to risk the dress getting stepped on!

I have at least one more fitting before I can pick up the dress. It is a long process but I know I am going to be thrilled with the final result. Next fitting is on April 8. Wedding is on the 26th. One month from today, ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @akastner8 - I'm getting married on the 5th, only a few more days ahhh!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yay another date twin! It took me three fittings too. The first fitting the hem was pinned, the bodice was tacked slightly and the belt was pinned on and the tail cut. Then we discussed my bow, which had to be remade to be what I wanted.

Second fitting. Bow was pinned, bustle was pinned.

My list fitting is on Friday. It should hopefully be a try on and go moment, unless there is something else that needs to be done, in which case she'll do that and I'll get it next week. From start to finish, it took three weeks. So my fingers are crossed for you!
  • amm88amm88 member

Thanks for your message SBmini! It made me feel better that all your alterations were done in three weeks. I'm supposed to hear back from the store by 3/31 on when my dress is coming in. I hope that by this time next week I'll have had my first fitting.

I saw your dress on the other post, it is so pretty! Are you having an indoor or outdoor ceremony?

Anniversary

• amm88amm88 member

Luckystarz:

You're so close! Is everything ready to go or do you still have things to do?

Anniversary

• Still have a few more things to do. Needing to find a gift for my son, whose walking me down the aisle. He's 5 so it's kind of tricky. I was actually able to pick up my dress yesterday so that was nice. I have a haircut and facial scheduled for saturday, and then nails, waxing, and such next week leading up to the wedding. I still need to pack for the wedding (it's a few hours away in a small town we love), and the honeymoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you! We're having an outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception.
  • Picked my dress up yesterday as I'm spending the week before the wedding at my fiancé's house in another state where the wedding is taking place.  It's beautifully packed and tucked away in the spare bedroom.  7 days!
  • amm88amm88 member
    How exciting Newborndoc 2008! I'm so glad you picked up your dress and it is beautiful, only 6 more days to go for you :)

Anniversary

• amm88amm88 member
    My dress arrived at the store!! I have my first fitting appointment tomorrow, I'm soo happy! Can't wait to try it on!

Anniversary

• akaster8, you have to let us know how it goes!

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2014
    @akastner8 - So glad your dress is here!  They should be able to get the fittings done now that they have the dress in hand!
  • amm88amm88 member
    Thanks cms519! I'll definitely let all of you know how it went. This is all so exciting!

Anniversary

• amm88amm88 member
    That's what they say Newborndoc2008. They said that it shouldn't take more than two weeks to get the alterations done if I need any. My first fitting appt is this afternoon, can't wait!

Anniversary

• amm88amm88 member
    Hi all!

I went to my first and last fitting yesterday. The dress fit me perfectly no need for any alterations!! I'm soo happy! 

The dress is even prettier than I remembered it. Now it is hanging in my guest room along with all the accessories that also fit perfectly (slip, corset, tiara). Can't wait to wear it on 4.26! Thank you so much for all your posts!

Anniversary

• Lucky! My dress needed so many alterations. I am only 5 feet tall so even with my heels it needed a super hem. I had cups put in, it needed a 3 pt bustle because the satin was too heavy for a classic bustle, and it needed to be taken in on the hips.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards