Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Engagement Ring on Right Hand

Re: Engagement Ring on Right Hand

• Mine aren't soddered together and I haven't had any issues wearing them next to each other.  Not what you asked but wanted to share that you can still wear them together.  Also confused by why they need to be "lined up"?
    Anniversary
  • edited March 2014
  • The word is 'soldered.' If you're going to use it so many times in each post, you might as well spell it right.

My rings are not soldered because on rare occasions I will wear just my band (horseback riding, for example, is more comfortable that way). I have never worn my e-ring on my right hand though, and in fact it would not fit if I tried. Like most people, my dominant hand is a half size larger on each finger than my off-hand.
  • My rings are not soldered and I wear them on my left hand.  I'm a social worker and there is the potential for me to have a job that involves dealing with physical violence, in which case I would only wear my wedding ring for safety reasons.  Another thing you might want to consider is do you plan to have children?  If so it is common to have to take your rings off at some point during the pregnancy.  I found that I could wear my wedding band several more weeks after I took the e-ring off.  I was also able to put the wedding ring back on a few weeks before the e-ring.  If I had them soldered together I would have gone a lot long without wearing them.  My wedding ring only has diamonds part way around and it really doesn't spin that much.  When it does it is not a big deal at all to adjust it.  It has no impact on my life at all.  I think if anything would be uncomfortable it would be having them soldered together.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wear three rings on my left fourth finger - wedding ring, engagement solitaire and wrap ring.  They are not soldered together, and I like it that way.  I can remove my engagement and wrap rings, and just wear my wedding ring when I am traveling.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have a wedding band that was custom made to fit next to my engagement ring, but have no plans to have them soldered together. I occasionally wear my e-ring on my middle finger or right hand if my hands are cold and smaller then normal to decrease how much it turns/lessen the chance of if falling off.

Anniversary
  • I also have half-eternity bands (the description of having diamonds half-way around), and I don't have mine soldered together. 

My wedding band rarely spins, and neither does my engagement ring. I thought about getting them soldered together, but ultimately decided not to because it just doesn't bother me enough.

I haven't ever worn just my wedding band, but I like the option of being able to do so if I want to. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • CMGragain said:
    I wear three rings on my left fourth finger - wedding ring, engagement solitaire and wrap ring.  They are not soldered together, and I like it that way.  I can remove my engagement and wrap rings, and just wear my wedding ring when I am traveling.
    Ditto. I have two different wraps so I can switch as I please. Some days, like today, I just wear my wedding band.

My first wedding set i had soldered together because a diamond on my wedding band chipped my center stone on my ering. (thank goodness for insurance) If your diamonds can rub against each other I highly recommend getting them soldered.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I actually asked my jeweler about soldering when FI and I went to pick up the wedding bands. He said that the single most common reason women come back to his office is to have soldered rings separated. I suppose there are many reasons for having them attached, but I decided against it because of what PP have said. Being able to choose which ring to wear and when is kinda' nice. My concern was that the 2 rings rubbing together would damage them. He said that your ring should be brought in at least every year anyway for maintenance and to prevent this type of thing regardless (most jewelers don't charge for this anyway). Makes sense to me, FI spent a lot of money on my ring, I want to make sure it is maintained...same way I would maintain my car I guess.
  • You may also want to consider the insurance on your ring. If they are soldered, depending on carrier, they may consider it one ring. If it were stolen the value may not cover for both to be replaced. That's how my insurance is and once I get my wedding band I would have to up the amount on it if I got them soldered. This is a major reason I decided not to. That and I know there will be days I just wear my wedding band.

• edited March 2014
  • Whoa, why the DD?
  • I can't read the original post since it was dropped, but, I'm going to respond to the clues I've gathered about it anyway. I am not yet engaged, and have not purchased a wedding ring yet (boyfriend just bought the engagement ring and we're waiting on it to be set), but the engagement ring will have a marquise which may or may not make for a very large gap with a wedding ring. I do not mind a little gap, but if it is too large/ bothersome/ I deem it unsightly, I plan to wear my wedding ring on my right (and dominant) hand. I'm okay with bucking tradition, and I'd rather have a less obtrusive ring on the hand that I'm using more often. Just something to think about if you (Original Poster or anyone else thinking about this) decides to wear rings on separate hands. Obviously, it's all just a personal choice. 
  • Mine fit together. My band is curved to fit flush against my engagement ring. Just incase you want another option/ choice.

I am with past posters it is a personal preference.
  • Mine fit together. My band is curved to fit flush against my engagement ring. Just incase you want another option/ choice. I am with past posters it is a personal preference.
    My wedding band is made like this, too. I wouldn't get mind soldered together, though, because there are time when I'm going to take them off, or it's easier to just have my wedding band on. Sometimes, I have issues with my engagement ring tearing the gloves I wear for my work, but my wedding band is a lot smaller and doesn't have the pointy edges that my engagement ring setting has.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards