Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Who do I have to invite to my wedding: a guide

InkdancerInkdancer member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited April 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Around here, we get questions from lots of  brides who are struggling with guest lists that grow larger than Jack's proverbial magic beanstalk. "I am not made of money! I simply can't invite everyone I know to my wedding," they say.

We understand. We on the Etiquette board are not made of money either (and if we were, we would probably be off doing something much more exciting that noodling around on the internet). So here is the easy, etiquette-approved way to manage your guest list without alienating the people you love.

Q: Who must be invited to my wedding?
A: You must invite your fiance and your officiant. They are, obviously, required in order for a marriage to take place.

If your parents, your FI's parents, or any third party is paying for the wedding,  you must also invite those people.

Q: My parents/ future in-laws say I have to invite X. Do I have to?

A: Yes and no.

If your parents or your FILs are paying for your wedding, they do get a certain amount of input on your wedding. For example, if they have chosen to give you $10,000 towards your wedding, you must consult with them on how it is spent; it is likely that they meant for that money to pay for a number of guests, rather than a designer gown. You should ask them who they want to invite, and do as much as you can to accommodate those requests, within reason. If they are asking to invite 100 guests but have only contributed $100, you will need to have a difficult conversation with them about how many guests you can afford to invite, and how many of those guests you will allow them to choose.

If you are paying for the wedding on your own, you can disregard all suggestions. However, remember that stamping your feet and demanding to get your own way did not go over well when you were a child and will probably go over even more poorly as an adult. Remember that when your mother-in-law wants to invite her best friends, it is because she loves your FI and she loves her friends and she wants to share this day with all of them. Consider whether the hurt feelings you may cause are actually worth it.

All bets are off in the case of estranged or abusive people. If someone has threatened or hurt you or a guest you are close to, that person does not have to be invited. No amount of "but he's your uncle" or "but she's trying so hard" should make you put yourself or your guests in danger.

Q: I have a lot of friends and family, and a very small budget. How can I cut the guest list?
A: How lucky you are to have so many people who love you! Take a moment and be thankful for all the love you have in your life.

Now, start making some lists. Make a list of people who have to be there in order for you to feel happy about how the day went (your parents, your best friends, etc). People who you'd like to see there, if they can make it (your sorority sisters, great aunt Elsie, etc). People who would probably come, but you wouldn't cry if they didn't (your boss, your FI's little league coach).

In those lists, make circles. You know that if you invite Uncle Fitz, you also have to invite Aunt Gracie or you will hurt her feelings. If you invite your best friend from high school, will your second best friend from high school also need an invitation? Make circles of your aunts and uncles, your first cousins, your work friends, and your knitting circle buddies.

Now, you should have a basic list of about how many people you'd like to invite, based on all those circles. Double-check the list to make sure there's room for every guest to come with a significant other (it could happen, even if they are single the day you make your list). Now shop for venues that will allow you to invite the people you want. You can check at multiple price points this way: maybe your "must have" list is 40 people, but the list that would feel best to you is actually 120. Use these as your guides.

Q: Lots of my friends/ family are single. Why do you say I have to give them a guest?
A: What kind of single do you mean? Definitions vary. If by "single" you mean "not romantically attached to another person," then no you are not required to give them a guest. (It may be kind to do so, especially in the case that they know nobody else at the wedding, or need a travel companion, but that is certainly up to your discretion.)

However, if by "single" you mean "unmarried"... well, I'll let an expert do the talking:
"Miss Manners is all for inviting couple wedding guests as couples - indeed, there is a new rudeness, which she is trying to stamp out, of inviting only half of an established couple  Those who are married, engaged, or otherwise firmly attached must be asked in tandem to social events (as opposed to office gatherings, which are still office gatherings, no matter how many drinks are served). This is not the same as being expected to surrender control of a guest list to the guests themselves."  ~Miss Manners' Guide to a Surprisingly Dignified Wedding
As you can see, any established couple should be invited as a couple. How do you determine who is a couple? Why,  you ask them. These are your nearest and dearest family and friends--if you do not know who they are seeing, it is quite simple to call, email, or otherwise reach out and ask "may I have the name of the person you are seeing, so they can join you at the wedding?" You as the host should never be guessing whether or not someone is in a serious relationship. Ask, and you can avoid lots of hurt feelings and drama.

Q: I am a nontraditional person. Why should I follow these rules?
A: Good for you for breaking out of the mold! However, being non-traditional does not preclude being a good host or hostess. If you want to carry a monkey instead of a bouquet and have churros instead of wedding cake, feel free! But please make sure that any guests who are invited to your delightfully unusual wedding will feel that they are welcome there, and that you respect their relationship as much as you value your own. A wedding is a celebration of love, and love is what you want to feel all around you--not resentment, frustration, or disappointment.

If your next thought is "But it's my wedding! I can do whatever I want because this day is all about me!" then please take a deep breath and consider what I am about to say. Yes, on your wedding day people are there to see you and your fiance get married. Practically, you can do whatever you want, and most of your family and friends will not say anything to your face about it. But that does not mean that they are happy about it. Maybe nothing will happen. Maybe they will go about their day, come to your wedding, smile, and make nice. But while they're smiling, they'll respect you less because you've showed them a lack of respect. When you say "it's all about me," you are forgetting that you love these people. If they matter to you, please consider their comfort and happiness when sending out your invitations.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
eyeroll

Re: Who do I have to invite to my wedding: a guide

• Options
    This is well-worded! 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    This is wonderful!
  • Options
    Well done, I vote sticky, particularly because this has come up so frequently recently.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Let's make this a sticky!

I agree!!!!
  • Options

However, if by "single" you mean "unmarried"... well, I'll let an expert do the talking:
    "Miss Manners is all for inviting couple wedding guests as couples - indeed, there is a new rudeness, which she is trying to stamp out, of inviting only half of an established couple  Those who are married, engaged, or otherwise firmly attached must be asked in tandem to social events (as opposed to office gatherings, which are still office gatherings, no matter how many drinks are served). This is not the same as being expected to surrender control of a guest list to the guests themselves."  ~Miss Manners' Guide to a Surprisingly Dignified Wedding

It is, however, important to note that "firmly attached" and "having a hot crush on since last Tuesday" are not the same thing, although they might both be considered "romantic" relationships of a sort. The idea that a hostess is obligated to invite people that she has never had any opportunity to meet, simply because a very recent attachment has been formed by an already-invited guest, is spurious. A hostess has a duty of care to her other already-invited guests, to have pre-vetted the guest list to avoid the inclusion of axe-murderers and people who are currently inactive warfare or acrimonious custody battes. Automatically including a really hot stranger, unvetted, to that list runs exactly the risk that her prior care and attention was supposed to avoid.

So what is "firmly attached?" Miss Manners says in Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-Of-The-Millennium, page 604:

No, guests should not be allowed to invite their own guests to weddings, but there are "extras" and extras. Miss Manners would back you in refusing requests on behalf of friends, dates, and perfectly divine people whom one met in a health club last week. You do not invite one member of a socially-recognized couple o a purely social function, such as a wedding, without inviting the other. You know yourself that you can't stand Uncle Horace bu that you could not possibly invite Aunt Flora to come without him.

The difficulty, of course, is defining such a couple. Traditionally, fiances, as well as spouses, have always qualified. By general consensus, like it or not, people who have set up housekeeping together, declaring themselves to be a social unit, are also recognized.

Of course, living together is not the only way a couple declares themselves to be a social unit. Hostesses who use their common sense can come up with examples of people they always think of as a couple, whether cohabinting or not. And can also come up with examples of people who are romantically involved with no intention of defining themselves as a couple. As always in etiquette, good judgement and the ability to understand nuance are a hostess's essential tools.

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I thought it might be nice to have it all in one place, since we cover this so often.
    eyeroll
  • Options

. As always in etiquette, good judgement and the ability to understand nuance are a hostess's essential tools.

Well that's just about the smartest thing you've ever said on here ATB.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Can these be added?

But it's MY wedding!! I can do what I want!

We're the only ones paying, our families aren't helping. We don't have an unlimited budget!
  • Options
    Can these be added?

But it's MY wedding!! I can do what I want!

We're the only ones paying, our families aren't helping. We don't have an unlimited budget!
    I hoped I covered the unlimited budget thing in "how to cut the list" but I will certainly make an addendum to cover "I do what I want."
    eyeroll
  • Options
    One thing I would suggest adding would be how sending out invites is the cut off time for guests having SOs- so if a relationship starts BEFORE invites go out, you have to invite the SO, but if the relationship starts AFTER the invites are sent out, inviting that SO isn't a matter of etiquette, but simply a matter of what you can manage, as it's NICE to find a spot for that person, but you can only do so much.

I think a lot of newbies get REALLY confused about that, and put the cutoff for inviting SO's at when they first wrote up the guest list, or got engaged etc. or they don't realize that the fact that they sent out invites last month and this relationship started yesterday means that they don't have to be ripping their hair out trying to squeeze in one more person.  
  • Options
    Good job.
  • Options
    Classy. Nice.
  • Options
    Amyzen83Amyzen83 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary
    edited April 2014
    Inkdancer

I also like how you did add the acceptable exceptions such as abusive, violent, estranged people.

I forgot whether you mentioned that "Not knowing someone," "but I don't even 'like my friend's GF for x, y and z reason,' " "I can't afford these extra people because then I can't invite my college professor who I haven't spoken to in x amount of years" don't count as legit reasons. Tough shit! Excluding these people is extremely hurtful and disrespectful to those people you love and those excluded!
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    Honestly, I don't know why stickies get made. It's not like newbs read and follow them. If they even DO see them, they just end up being 40 page arguments AND the topic is still going to come up in new threads all the time.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    Honestly, I don't know why stickies get made. It's not like newbs read and follow them. If they even DO see them, they just end up being 40 page arguments AND the topic is still going to come up in new threads all the time.
    True.  But I guess it's all just part of fighting the good fight.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @crunchymamaof2 LMAO!

I do agree though, a sticky should be closed after it is created to avoid 40 page arguments. 

Though, some additional pieces of valuable information are often added by others.

One that I thought up reading this, is the understanding that while social units must be invited together, just because the B&G would like to invite one of their cousins, doesn't mean they have to invite ALL of their cousins. 

While it is wise to invite in circles, it is not against etiquette to not invite EVERYONE, and I believe a guest list should be based on relationships and importance of those relationships. Invite those who are truly near and dear to you (the B&G), and those who have supported you. 
  • Options
    @sp29 I have been currently pondering this dilemma that if you invite one cousin, you have to invite all of the cousins.

My fiancé is against inviting only some of his cousins and not all. We can't afford to invite all of them (and honestly some of them we don't particularly care for) but I think we should invite some of them. Especially, his cousin who invited us to his wedding, who was kind enough to change their wedding date to a week later to accommodate our wedding date since we both choose the same date.

When I think about it, it does seem kind of rude to invite some but not all. What would I say if asked about why I didn't invite cousin x or cousin y?
  • Options
    perdonami said:
    @sp29 I have been currently pondering this dilemma that if you invite one cousin, you have to invite all of the cousins. My fiancé is against inviting only some of his cousins and not all. We can't afford to invite all of them (and honestly some of them we don't particularly care for) but I think we should invite some of them. Especially, his cousin who invited us to his wedding, who was kind enough to change their wedding date to a week later to accommodate our wedding date since we both choose the same date. When I think about it, it does seem kind of rude to invite some but not all. What would I say if asked about why I didn't invite cousin x or cousin y?
    You absolutely don't have to invite all cousins. I would just say that unfortunately you could only  invite so many people and couldn't invite everyone you wanted. Then bean dip (change the subject). It is rude of people to question your guest list. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My FI invited all of his cousins. I invited all of my cousins on my mom's side, but only 1 cousin (and her husband) on my dad's side. It was an easy decision because I'm not close with my Dad's side of the family, and other cousin's on that side didn't invite me to their wedding. (I also invited the same exact family as my sister, so that made it even easier).

Now I realize other people have different family dynamics, but you absolutely do not have to invite all or none. However, it's up to your FI who he invites from his side. You shouldn't really have a say. How would you feel if he said you couldn't invite people that you wanted?

• Options
    laurynm84 said:

Now I realize other people have different family dynamics, but you absolutely do not have to invite all or none. However, it's up to your FI who he invites from his side. You shouldn't really have a say. How would you feel if he said you couldn't invite people that you wanted?

Oh girl, we battled it out. He didn't like any of my guest choices. It got to a point where I said 80% of the guest list was his and he is not allowed any more input on who I invite. 

• Options
    perdonami said:
    laurynm84 said:

Oh girl, we battled it out. He didn't like any of my guest choices. It got to a point where I said 80% of the guest list was his and he is not allowed any more input on who I invite. 

Woah, what? If your list isn't entirely comprised of ex-boyfriends this would be a huge red flag for me.  Why is he trying to dictate who of your friends and family are invited? Is it so he can have more?
    My reaction to most everything on the internet today:
  • Options
    perdonami said:
    laurynm84 said:

Woah, what? If your list isn't entirely comprised of ex-boyfriends this would be a huge red flag for me.  Why is he trying to dictate who of your friends and family are invited? Is it so he can have more?

Now I'm really starting to feel bad for you perdonami. This is just another negative tic to add to the list.

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    @ladyamanuet :He doesn't like a lot of my family friends. Also, I think he was concerned about ensuring we keep the cost low as his mom is paying for our reception. I kind of put the guest list together with some help from his mom since fiance wasn't too keen on inviting some his family members either.

Right now, I just realized that it really wouldn't be that much more expensive to invite his cousins and also I feel sorta bad about not considering them because I did consider some of fiance's work friends.. Seems like priorities weren't straight..

Part of the issue too is that he really doesn't care for some of his cousins (me either) and he (and his mom) feels if we invite some that we have to invite them all. 
  • Options
    I have a lot of first cousins and I'm the youngest on both sides. By far the youngest on my dad's side. Some of those cousins have kids and some of their kids have kids. I am most definitely NOT inviting all of them. If I haven't seen or talked to them in the last few years outside of a funeral why would I invite them to my wedding?  I'm inviting about half of my first cousins. FI has a much smaller family and is inviting all of his. Of course he has like 5 first cousins and I have more like 30.
  • Options
    So one of my bridesmaids is 15 and just started dating this boy, and would like to invite him to the wedding.  My FI & I don't like the idea of this because 10 years from now we don't want to look at our pictures and see this random boy in our pictures. Is this incredibly rude? Plus it's just another person to add to our already huge guest list (300+).  My FMIL (her mom) doesn't think it's appropriate for him to attend either. What are your thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards