Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

BEER!!!

I am working on finalizing my wedding menu and I get to choose any 4 beers!!! FI isn't a drinker - so he's no help!! 
I have 2 brewery beers I am waiting to find out if they can get, I figured classic Sam Summer (it's a June wedding), but I need a classic "light" beer but don't really want "bud light" for the wedding... any ideas???

Thanks!!!

Re: BEER!!!

• Miller Lite is a favorite around my parts for a cheaper/basic lite beer.  I also really like Leinenkugel Summer Shandy or Blue Moon for a citrus summer beer.

I think if you are going to do some specialty brewery beers then picking two well known basic beers like a Sam's or Miller would be great options for guests who aren't into specialty brews.

• Thanks!! I may go with Amstelle light for the "light beer option"... I don't think there is a price difference so I'm trying to keep the beer classy!! 
    And BlueMoon is a GREAT option - such a good summer beer!!! Makes me want one now!! 
  • If you really want to keep things classy, regardless of what beer you serve, have your bartenders pour it in a glass.  We didn't really care if people were carrying around bottles (better then cans) but having a beer in a glass just looks better.

• H really likes Yuengling Light.  I think all beer is gross so I can't verify his taste, but he is really into craft beer and this is what he drinks when the "good stuff" isn't available.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is a good choice, like Maggie said. I am pretty obsessed with Mich Ultra Raspberry Pomegranate during the summer months, too. And, as a side note, I love IPAs. It'd be good to balance the light beers with something a little bolder. 

I like beer, and I always appreciate when local beers are featured. Maybe you could serve something from a brewery in your city or state. 
  • I third the Leinies Summer Shandy!! Or blue moon. Have you tried Innis and Gunn? They've got a great variety and some really tasty ones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the Blue Moon idea. That's my go-to when the beer selection is slim, but I guess I'd be one of the people drinking one of the brewery beers :-). I don't like Leinenkugel Summer Shandy at all, but it seems like others do. 
  • I think its slightly funny I've never heard of Leinenkugel Summer Shandy.  
    BUT I really like Blue Moon, Shock Top (regular), Shocktop Raspberry Wheat, and Redd's Apple Ale but maybe that's too fall-like.  In our parts, Coors Light is a pretty standard light beer but I know my family is pretty picky.  
    I think I'm going to do Labbatt or some kind of Sam Adams or Saranac... as well as Pabst Blue Ribbon (fiance's fave) and either Corona, Blue Moon or Shot Top.  
    I'm so lost on this!  I'd appreciate the feedback too!  

And also, I hate wine (weird, right?!) so I need help with that too.  
    My caterer said I can choose 2 out of red wine, white wine and sangria.  OR I can do sangria during the cocktail hour and then red and white during the reception.  What do you guys think?   
    Not doing liquor/mixed drinks.  The caterer isn't licensed for liquor and I don't really mind not having it.  
  • So you can choose one red and one white or two red two white? I am not a red wine drinker but some white favs are Pinot Grigio and Riesling. You could also offer moscato (I find it too sweet) or a Chardonnay (which I find too dry). As for the sangria. If you are going to offer it I would have it available all night not just during cocktail hour. I like sangria but unless it is a hot summer day or you are having more BBQ-esque or backyard grilling type food I would go for a regular glass of wine over sangria.

• One red and one white.
    And actually we're going to have a Pig Roast wedding in my mom's gardens lol!
    Don't think cheap though.... think "upscale elegant bbq" not "I'm broke and having it in my mom's backyard" kind of bbq.  
    No offense to the people that are though...
  • Alikat9614Alikat9614 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014
    We are doing beer and wine and are trying to figure out exactly what to have, too. For us, since we met in Colorado but now live in Virginia, we are definitely having Coors Light and Fat Tire (yum!!) on our beer line up. We will probably have 2 reds and 2 whites for wine; Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Gris for sure, not positive about the others yet. ETA: of your beers listed, I would love Shock Top and Coors Light!
  • I'm having a RI wedding in June and we want to serve a good mixture as well as our own local brew. We have choosen:  Narragansett Beer, Sam Summer, Newport Storm, Newcastle, Corna, & if I can find a case of Dels Summer Shandy by Narragansett brewing company.

• I personally love Blue Moon, Sam Summer, and Shock top Raspberry. In my friends circle, those are all pretty crowd pleasing too.

I'm not a big wine drinker, but if I was to drink it, I would choose something white, most likely Riesling or similar.  Might be worth even just giving a call to a liquor store in the area and asking them what their most popular red and whites are.
  • For an easy to drink red wine, I would go with a Merlot or a Zinfandel. You could also do a Pinot Noir. While I love a good Cabernet, they can be over-powering and dry for some people. As far as whites go, I would recommend a Pinot Grigio or a Sauvignon Blanc. They're easy to drink without being too sweet or too dry.

I love craft beer too, and that's going to be the big splurge at our reception. We're going to serve only locally made beers from Minneapolis, but we'll have a good mix of light, dark, and hoppy to appease all beer drinkers. I would pick your favorite local brewery and see if they have a light beer option you like (or that your guests would like if light beer isn't for you). That way you can serve something they'll enjoy while still serving something local.

• I like the Shock Top Shandy much better than Leinie. Although technically you could expand your options there by just mixing lemonade with whatever other beer you have, like getting a free choice! 

For summer/outdoors, I would probably go with one light lager ("American lager"), one wheat, one hoppy IPA, and either a blonde or amber ale. I'd stay away from darks.

• Yuck, summer shaddy is like drinking pinesol. No thank you!

My thoughts as a beer person:

Light beer- typical American light, like Bud. This is what you do for the non beer people.

Mid level- I'm a big fan of Fat Tire's Summersault it's a little hoppy but light, crisp, refreshing and delicious

Unique- 1 heff for a summer wedding is a good idea. I think Blue Moon is a safe bet here. Everyone who doesn't like beer likes Blue Moon.

Serious- 1 IPA. I'd go with Stone IPA because they do IPAs like it is no one's business.
  • OK - Beer run down... 
    1) Amstelle Light
    2) City Steam's Naughty Nurse (it's a local place and I worked there... so I'm excited!!) Not just a great name... it's a great beer!!
    3) Sam Summer
    4) a blueberry beer (requested by my big bro - brand to be determined)

Wine list... planning a tasting party with friends to help pick from the mega list the caterer gave me!! Yahooo... gotta have fun while planning a wedding right?!?!?!
  • I don't drink, but my fiance drinks beer, and (weird, I know) I always ask to smell his beer when he tries a new one.

American style beers, Bud, Coors, etc...naaaastayyy

The best I've ever smelled was Singha lager, a Thai beer.  It smelled sweet and fruity, not at all beer-y.  He said he liked it, and he usually goes for Blue Moon, Hoegaarden, Shock Top, that kind of thing.
  • We're serving beer and wine only also.  My family is in the wine business so our venue is allowing us to bring in all wine and then order beer thru the venue.

Our light beer will be Coors light-- to me a better choice than Bud Light or Miller Lite and our other beer will be Bell's Oberon, it is a seasonal beer from Bell's Brewery (in our home state of Michigan) that we love!!

• @starlet514 if you're looking for a blueberry beer, try Seadog Blueberry Wheat! Can't go wrong with a Maine Blueberry beer.
  • I love blueberry beer. My favorite is Saranac blueberry blonde - it has the best natural blueberry taste. Seadog is pretty good as well. I've also had Wild Blue and did not like it at all - it had more of a blue raspberry candy flavor than actual blueberries.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards