Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

I didn't like my trial

I had my trial hair and makeup yesterday. She did exactly what I asked for, but it was just overkill on me. I thought it would grow on me after I left.

I had an updo that's supposed to look it didn't take a lot of work, tons of hairspray and bobby pins, dramatic eyes, false eyelashes....

My style is natural looking makeup. Now I want to wear my hair down with soft curls, kill the thick black eyeliner/false lashes/eyeshadow that goes up too high/ too much blush.

I feel bad because all of that took 2 hours. Do I need a 2nd mini trial or wing it wedding day?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I didn't like my trial

• If it were me, I could never 'wing it' for the wedding day, so I would book a second trial.  
  • Second trial. Just say you didn't like the look as much as you hoped you would.
  • Just say exactly what you said here- that you thought you would want a more "Glam" look but upon seeing it, you would prefer something more natural. That is a perfectly amenable request.

I would definitely book a second trial.

Hair stylists are professionals, they won't be offended if you change your mind. In fact, that is the whole point of a trial is to see if it is what you want. He/she would rather have you be happy on your day after 10 trials than upset before the ceremony because you hate your hair! Plus, it is easier to mess around and agree on what you want (and take PHOTOS!!) beforehand than during the stress of the wedding day.

And honestly, they get paid either way so I'm sure they just want a satisfied customer!
  • I'd do another trial.  Try to bring some inspiration photos to help give your stylist some direction on what you're looking for.
  • no need to feel bad, they are getting paid and it's a trial for that reason.  Better you know now you don't like it and not on the wedding day! I'd go for another trial if you have time. 
  • It sounds like you want to make a lot of changes so I would do another trial.  If you were just wanting to make small changes like no false eyelashes and a more subtle eyeliner then you wouldn't really need one, but it sounds like you want a complete 180 from the first trial.

The hairstylist and MUA would rather you book another trial so that you are sure then have to deal with you maybe freaking out or being unhappy with things on your wedding day.  It makes it less stressful for everyone.

• I booked another trial for Friday. I don't need any freakouts on my wedding day. She was kind enough to only make me pay half the normal rate. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Come back and let us know how the second trial goes.
  • I had my 2nd trial today and I loved it!! I'm wearing my hair down with loose curls, and one side pulled back with a comb/pin (need to buy one).

My makeup is much more natural and neutral and no false eyelashes.

This feels like me. I feel relieved and excited about the wedding now :)
    What a great feeling!  I was in your boat too.....hated my first makeup trial, loved my second.  One thing I'll add.....I hated the false eyelashes my first MUA used.....they looked so fake on me.  The second MUA used indivdual lashes and used the smallest ones.  Just enough to enhance my eyes while still looking myself.
  • ok - I'm reviving this thread....I had my makeup trial and thought "meh, we can tweak it the day of".  Now, a few weeks later, I have the contract to sign and I'm thinking I don't want to sign it.  What do I do?

She airbrushed my foundation - it was too heavy and you could see my pores.  And it was coming off a few hours later.  And the eyeliner was wayyyyyyyy too much......I didn't look like myself and I'm thinking of making a trip to Sephora and doing it myself the day of.  How do you "fire" a MUA that you haven't technically hired? What do I say?

• ark155 said:

ok - I'm reviving this thread....I had my makeup trial and thought "meh, we can tweak it the day of".  Now, a few weeks later, I have the contract to sign and I'm thinking I don't want to sign it.  What do I do?

She airbrushed my foundation - it was too heavy and you could see my pores.  And it was coming off a few hours later.  And the eyeliner was wayyyyyyyy too much......I didn't look like myself and I'm thinking of making a trip to Sephora and doing it myself the day of.  How do you "fire" a MUA that you haven't technically hired? What do I say?

Just don't return the contract.  I find many vendors won't even bother following up.  If she does, just say you won't be needing her services.

FWIW, my first trial that I hated was airbrush.  I thought for sure I was going to do that because everyone said it was better and it would last all day.  Yuck!  I had another trial with traditional makeup (new MUA too) and it was soooo much better!  And, it lasted all day too.  Just a thought.
  • I didn't like my first makeup trial at all! I have super pale skin, as in ALWAYS buy the lightest shade in any face makeup and my first lady airbrushed on a foundation called "olive beige".  

I was so disappointed (especially handing over $85 on something i hated).

I sent her an email when I got home saying that I appreciated her time, however I was going to go in a different direction with my makeup and wanted to let her know as soon as possible so she could book someone else for that day.

I didn't want any wedding day bad karma so I let her know as soon as I decided.

On a side note, my second trial was so much better! And I learned what I didn't like during the first and was able to explain that to my new makeup artist.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards