Wedding Etiquette Forum

Picnic blanket seating

Hi everyone. What do you all think of picnic blankets for seating? Thanks to good old pinterest I have a few ideas for ceremony seating. I quite like the idea of round seating so everyone can see, and I was thinking of maybe having 2 of the sections picnic blanket style.

We have heaps of kids coming, and I thought it might be a nice choice for families.

Do you hate/like the idea? Would I have to have enough seats for everyone, and enough picnic blankets for everyone, or I was thinking, 100 guests, 75 seats and 75 picnic blanket seats?

Re: Picnic blanket seating

• Ok cool. So a tick for hate the idea?
  • I would do regular seating. Even with kids, people will be in nice clothes and may not be comfortable sitting on a blanket. I typically wear heels and a dress to a wedding and would not want to sit on the ground as it would be a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

Ok thanks. I'm just thinking my cousin with 4 boys under 5 and my friend with 3 girls under 3, might be easier for them. But I guess most of my families invited will have other people they know there to help with keeping kids bums on seats.

The venue supplies 100 seats for free I think anyway, so just regular seating will save us money.
  • I wouldn't be able to get up off a picnic blanket. My knees and hips wouldn't let me do it. I'd really prefer a chair.
  • I wouldn't be able to get up off a picnic blanket. My knees and hips wouldn't let me do it. I'd really prefer a chair.

Yup, I totally understand the blanket idea is not for everyone. But if you and your husband had 3 little girls, and your knees and hips are fine, would you rather 5 chairs crammed in rows, or a blanket with a good view?

I am not set on the idea at all, which is why I asked. I just thought it would be easier for the bigger families, and the young families coming. They can keep sitting on the blankets for cocktail hour also. (Reception room will be open straight after ceremony so there will be a seat for everyone in there also)

• tesskerr said:
    Hi everyone. What do you all think of picnic blankets for seating? Thanks to good old pinterest I have a few ideas for ceremony seating. I quite like the idea of round seating so everyone can see, and I was thinking of maybe having 2 of the sections picnic blanket style. We have heaps of kids coming, and I thought it might be a nice choice for families. Do you hate/like the idea? Would I have to have enough seats for everyone, and enough picnic blankets for everyone, or I was thinking, 100 guests, 75 seats and 75 picnic blanket seats?
    I hate the idea.

• I would rather have a chair. You don't know if the parents inquestion are expecting again and ddidn't want to tell anyone and at that stage of pregnancy you are just so damn uncomfortable. Sitting on a blanket and having to get up and down when your ligaments are stretching...not a comfortable thing to deal with.

another thought how far postpartum are the moms? If they have a less than a year old they are still uncomfortable. They're bodies are adjusting back down to a normal size. The closer to postpartum they are the more miserable they are as well(it took me at least 5 months to feel decent, a full year to feel like i was at 100%) their already tired from waking in the middle of the night ect.

Last thought how would you feel if you went to a wedding and everyone was seated at a nice chair/table and you were placed on a blanket for whatever reason? I would feel less important/slighted by the bride and groom. Why did that person get a chair and not me?

As for the blankets if you REALLY want to set up a blanket I think you could set one up for the kids only with activities for them to do, kind of like a kids table. Still have a seat for them with their parents but have the blanket as an option.
  • I had never seen this idea before, so I just looked it up on Pinterest. These people in the pics look so uncomfortable, slouching their backs. And the women look so awkward, not knowing how to sit in their dresses and nice clothes. Also, besides the fact that they're sitting on the ground in nice clothes, it seems like an odd angle to view the ceremony.
  • As someone nearly 20 weeks pregnant who suddenly has a very sharp pain in her back I wouldn't want to be in my dressy clothing on the ground sitting criss cross applesauce.
  • Hi everyone. What do you all think of picnic blankets for seating? Thanks to good old pinterest I have a few ideas for ceremony seating. I quite like the idea of round seating so everyone can see, and I was thinking of maybe having 2 of the sections picnic blanket style. We have heaps of kids coming, and I thought it might be a nice choice for families. Do you hate/like the idea? Would I have to have enough seats for everyone, and enough picnic blankets for everyone, or I was thinking, 100 guests, 75 seats and 75 picnic blanket seats?
    I like the idea of round seating (I assume you mean around the bride and groom) too so can't you just set your chairs up in a spiral or two half circle shapes around the aisle? Round seating =/= no chairs. Also it goes without saying again, but you have no idea what kind of back/knee/hip ect issues your guests might have....even the young and healthy ones!!!
  • I can see why blanket seating might be appealing to someone with a toddler.  It might be a good way for a mom/dad to sit with their child with some small quiet toys to keep the child entertained if you will for the ceremony.  Maybe, maybe not. Never the less I do not think that the OP had pregnant women and people otherwise unable to sit on the ground in mind.
  • But its not your wedding, its hers.  And if she wants to provide the option for blanket seating she can.  I do agree that there should also be a chair for every guest.
  • If parents are unable to 'keep a child entertained' while sitting in chairs in a row, there is an issue, IMO.  How do they go places such as restaurants without being able to 'control' their kids?  My mom brought me to church every Sunday as child, if I was restless I got to sit quietly and colour in my colouring book.  Problem solved.
  • There is no way I would sit on a blanket in dress clothes if a chair was available. You can have the blankets there as an option, but you should be sure to have enough chairs for each guest.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Chairs for everyone!
  • As a guest I love chairs. For my sister's graduation, which was at a sunken outdoor practice football field surrounded by a hill, we were all dressed up and had to sit on blankets on the ground. I was expecting the awkward flashing (happens every year at the same place) and to be one of the unlucky ones relegated to the ground. I was not expecting exactly how much my back would act up and it was supremely uncomfortable. There were bugs. LOTS of bugs. I ended up randomly getting up and walking around so I wouldn't end up flat on my back and unable to move while insects crawled on me.
  • Everyone has made excellent points in favor of chairs but I want to add one thing...

If your wedding is a casual outdoor event land you are not requiring people to dress up then I see nothing wrong with having a few blankets for those who may want to do that, as long as the ceremony isn't long.  BUT I would still provide enough chairs for everyone. 

Your idea actually inspired me, i'm getting married on the beach and we may not have enough chairs for everyone requiring some to stand, so now I'm thinking throw some blankets on the ground for anyone who wants to sit on the warm sand.
  • Another vote for chairs
  • Everyone has made excellent points in favor of chairs but I want to add one thing...

If your wedding is a casual outdoor event land you are not requiring people to dress up then I see nothing wrong with having a few blankets for those who may want to do that, as long as the ceremony isn't long.  BUT I would still provide enough chairs for everyone. 

Your idea actually inspired me, i'm getting married on the beach and we may not have enough chairs for everyone requiring some to stand, so now I'm thinking throw some blankets on the ground for anyone who wants to sit on the warm sand.
    I'm sorry, but you should not be requiring anyone to stand. It is rude. There should be a seat for every butt. I could not stand for a ceremony on the beach if my knees were acting up that day and I'm young (23) and look healthy. I don't complain so most of my friends wouldn't know.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Another vote for 100 chairs. If you want to provide extra blankets JIC someone wants one, that's fine. I think it's easier to keep kids calm and under control when they are sitting in their own chairs. Blankets might encourage them to be more active. 

There are a lot of bad ideas on Pinterest. It's nice that you came here for objective opinions and actually considered them, without having a meltdown. Happy planning!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards