Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

What's everyone up to? Let's chat!

I haven't been on this board in forever. I feel like my wedding is straying further and further from vintage - it's definitely more on the rustic side. So I haven't had anything to post :(

But, let's chat! How is everyone, what are you working on? 

Alyssa, where are you, I'm DYING to see your wedding pics!! Robotcake, GracefulMeadow, how's married life? Nukke, are you adjusting better to the move?

For me, I just finished our cake topper:

We found a old iron pepsi truck in an antique shop. It's HEAVY and we're going to put it on our soda bar table!

I finally found semi-inexpensive milk glass while we were wine-tasting this past weekend, just 2 bud vases but better than nothing! And I picked up a (free!) old dresser through craigslist. It's big, heavy, and Brian and I had to carry it down 2 flights of stairs. I dropped my end and a small chunk of wood chipped off the corner, but I think it makes it look more distressed now. And it was free! haha. It's going next to our photobooth-wall to make it look like an outdoor living room! I'll take pics once I pretty it up.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Laura & Brian | October 23, 2010 | Planning Bio!

Re: What's everyone up to? Let's chat!

• Options
    Hi! I love that cake topper!! Freaking adorable! And the soda bar idea sounds amazing! It's the little details like that that will make the vintage feel come through! I'm trying to think of little cute ideas like that... Right now, I'm working on my button bouquet... I didn't realize how many buttons I was going to need! Oi! We shall see... haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just checked your blog -- we went to Santorini on our honemoon too (among a few other places)! April is also "low season." It was still amazing (but very windy!)

It's seriously stunning.
  • Options
    Oh, I'm so embarrassed at how out of date my bio is! 

Ooh, tell me more about your honeymoon!! I'm so excited - I've never been out of the country before (well, Canada for 1 day). We're planning on cramming in museums and ruins during our 2 days in Athens, and we don't have a plan for Santorini except to relax and eat a lot! Did you do any activities there? Black sand beach, winery, etc.? How was the food?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi Princess! I've been wondering about you. The cake topper is so cute. We nixed our vintage candy bar and we are just sticking to glass Coca-Cola bottles. We found a vintage Coca-Cola crate and Matt apparently had a 1940s Coke ad that says "Thank you! Have a Coke" so it's perfect. I thought about getting some red striped straws but our venue will not let our guests drink it there (they have to provide all beverages) so I don't want to encourage that. We are using milk glass and it's too bad you don't live in Georgia because we know a guy who sells them for 10 cents each at his 'junkyard'. Of course, we didn't find him until our very last milk glass purchase. I would take pictures and upload all my other updated DIY but The Knot only lets me upload pictures from my netbook and I hardly ever use it.

Otherwise I've just been focusing on the GRE and grad school applications.
    Anniversary
  • Options

hi princess! nice to see you :)
    i LOVE your cake topper - you made it yourself? ADORABLE!
    i really need to start reading peoples blogs/bios b/c your wedding sounds so adorable with the soda bar and the paper cranes and everything. and dont worry about it not being totally vintagey- i think it still is, but either way, you belong here :)

married life is good...nothing different to be honest lol just a new name to teach everyone over and over how to say :P im still waiting on my professional pics...im so impatient but they did say 2 months and its not at that mark yet.

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • Options
    $265? Yikes! We got ours for $5 at the flea market. I'm totally with you on Coke versus Pepsi. I don't actually drink soda but I'm from Georgia so it's still Coke all the way.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2010
    Love love LOVE your cake topper!  It turned out really well!  You should sell these on etsy, eh?

[QUOTE] But I've already stopped going to wedding blogs.. I kept picking up more things I wanted to do and I had to make it stop. I can't wait to not have to do anything "for the wedding" anymore!
    Posted by princess74[/QUOTE]

I'm with you!  As I think I said in the poll for this month, if I have one more wedding idea, my wedding is going to explode. :P

What a great thread!  Yes, we're adjusting to the move much better now.  Matt and I officially moved in to this apartment a week ago.  After all the running around we did, (and what with Matt staying in PA finishing up work) we hadn't had the chance to actually live together.  We hadn't slept in the same bed since... June!!  But we're happily playing house again.  We've been using some of my bridal shower gifts and it's been so so nice.  Speaking of which, I had my second bridal shower (hosted by his mum) in PA and it was FANTASTIC.  She and Matt's sister worked really hard on making it special for me.  They put out violet table cloths, and vintage lace overlays, put out some finnish cheeses and even had a friend make a big cake.  They topped the cake with a (family heirloom) cake topper bride and groom from the 1920s!!  I felt really loved. 

Anyway, we loved the cake topper so much, Matt and I are going to switch out our copper bird cake topper for that one.  Sorry I can't PIP, for some reason it's not working.  Check my bio under ideas blog for the full story and photos!

And just today, we finally had our engagement photos taken.  I'll post photos as soon as possible!
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Yay glad you ladies like the topper, it sure took long enough! I can see why the Etsy ones are so pricey, although if I did a bunch assembly line style like I'm sure the Etsy sellers do, it definitely would be easier.

Graceful - I cannot WAIT to see your pro pics! The wait must be agonizing. Although if they're anything like your non-pro pics, they will surely be amazing.

Eeva - I just read your blog - your shower sounded awesome and the cake topper is so pretty! Your restoration story is hilarious (I'm sure it wasn't at the time though!). How serendipitous (a fortunate accident)!

Speaking of funny stories, today Brian and I went to a local brewery to meet with his friend (who is also our officiant). So we had lunch, then took their brewery tour. Well, about 10 minutes into the tour, I suddenly felt very dizzy and light-headed and then, I FAINTED. I think I was out for a minute or two (says Brian) and awoke to a circle of people staring at me. Brian and a nice lady gave me water, put a cold rag on my head, and helped me up. We walked maybe 5 feet and I fainted. AGAIN. It was extremely embarrassing and I'm fine now but isn't that weird/funny? The lady said at least I didn't flash anyone (I was in a knee length dress) and I fainted very ladylike :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2010
    [QUOTE]Oh, and Eeva, how was your e-pic session? Did you find your cloche? 
    Posted by princess74[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh it was SO amazing!  Matt wore his great great great grandfather's bowler/derby, white shirt with rolled sleeves, wool grey pants and belt (left suspenders in Japan, boooo) for some of the first set.  I wore my black and white straw cloche (the one I originally fell in love with and bought in July for a birthday present for myself), raspberry day dress and black wedge Mary Janes. The first set was definitely more vintage.  The photographer took some cute photos of us just around the corner from our apartment at the <a href="http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=Peterborough%20lift%20lock&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=576">Peterborough Lift Lock</a> (click)--built in 1904, played in the leaves, etc.  There were so many tourists there that day, that we had many hoots and hollers.  It was funny.
    For the second set, we changed into more casual clothes.  I wore a teal retro sleeveless mini dress with black bow stilletos (you can see those in my ideas blog under the July bridal shower post), and let my hair down.  Matt wore jeans and a charcoal grey shirt with rolled sleeves.  We didn't really know what to do for the second set, so we wandered around downtown Peterborough amongst the old buildings.  We went into a vintage candy store, an old book store, ate some ice cream, etc.  Took some cheesy photos.  It was SO MUCH FUN.  I cannot wait for the photos!

Laura--tell me all about your soda pop buffet thing.  :D  Also, FI wants you to know that he LOVES your cake toppers.  (I think he really appreciates cook cake toppers, eh?)
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards