Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Caterer sent us someone else's contract...and theirs is MUCH cheaper

We're at a loss. We had agreed on a menu and the caterer gave us a quote. It seemed pretty high, but they have great food and a great reputation so we decided to spend the money. Food is one of the things that is a priority for my fiancé, so he's the one dealing with the caterer. After she sent us someone else's contract to "sign and send back a deposit" he had a fit. First of all, it is totally unprofessional to send out someone else's information. Secondly, our quote is over $2000 more than theirs! He emailed her and said that he now feels like we're paying way too much and please send a new contract with OUR info in it and he'll call with a card number for the deposit. She didn't do that, rather left him a voicemail gushing about how sorry she was that she sent an old contract from four years ago...blah, blah, blah.... Now he's put out because she already screwed up once and then still didn't do what he asked. He works 60+ hours a week and wants it to be easier. He's ready to find new quotes. Does she seem shady or are we over reacting? This is a very reputable place with gourmet food, so I'm hesitant to look elsewhere because I'm afraid we won't find the same quality. However, if we're spending that much money I want someone who is honest and competent. Suggestions?

Re: Caterer sent us someone else's contract...and theirs is MUCH cheaper

• Find someone else who is honest and competent.  However "reputable" this venue is, they're giving you overpriced and unprofessional service.
  • As someone in the service industry, if I fuck up, I offer some kind of discount. If she didn't offer that from the start, she thinks she can pull one over on you.

I'd find someone new.

Anniversary
  • was it really from 4 years ago or is she making that up to see if you will take her story i would shop around check the contract she sent over see if there are any dates on it.
  • Could you google the names on the contract and see if you can find a registry or website or something for that couple? Then you would know if it really were from 4 years ago or for a wedding this year.

• I would immediately seek quotes from other caterers.  This person is not a professional.  I'm also kind of surprised the caterer didn't offer you a discount to make up for their mistake.  I recently got a quote for work on my home and the sales person emailled me the quote addressed to "Kim".  My first name isn't even remotely close to Kim.  He offered a 5% discount for the mistake.
  • A contract should have a date on it! It should be pretty easy to see if she's telling the truth or not. 

I would like to hope that the second you hint to her that you are looking for another caterer due to her snafu that she comes back with a discount. 
  • We're at a loss. We had agreed on a menu and the caterer gave us a quote. It seemed pretty high, but they have great food and a great reputation so we decided to spend the money. Food is one of the things that is a priority for my fiancé, so he's the one dealing with the caterer. After she sent us someone else's contract to "sign and send back a deposit" he had a fit. First of all, it is totally unprofessional to send out someone else's information. Secondly, our quote is over $2000 more than theirs! He emailed her and said that he now feels like we're paying way too much and please send a new contract with OUR info in it and he'll call with a card number for the deposit. She didn't do that, rather left him a voicemail gushing about how sorry she was that she sent an old contract from four years ago...blah, blah, blah.... Now he's put out because she already screwed up once and then still didn't do what he asked. He works 60+ hours a week and wants it to be easier. He's ready to find new quotes. Does she seem shady or are we over reacting? This is a very reputable place with gourmet food, so I'm hesitant to look elsewhere because I'm afraid we won't find the same quality. However, if we're spending that much money I want someone who is honest and competent. Suggestions?
    Perhaps the other couple didn't accept the quote right away and negotiated?

As PPs said, I'd do a little research.  The date should be on the contract.  Is everything identical to yours?  Even a couple of small differences could add up. 

Also, I'm curious....what percentage of your overall contract price does 2k represent?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards