Wedding Reception Forum

Baseball Game Reception

Just wanted to get some opinions on a thought that FI and I have been tossing around about our reception next year.

Neither of us are huge "party" people and are not personally interested in the dancing/drinking that seems to mostly take place at receptions. We are not evern sure if we want to do all of the spotlight dances (including the first dance).  Having been to many weddings and family parties, it seems like most of these events start with dinner and head straight to a few group dances, and then 3-4 hours of nothing really just making small talk. (This is based on parties/weddings with the same groups of people who we would be inviting to our wedding). We are also having a smaller wedding <60 people.

Both of our families and the majority of our friends are very into sports of all types, so we were thinking about having our reception at a minor league baseball game.

We would be able to rent 3 connecting party suites (the walls slide open to make one large space) that will fit our ~60 group, this would also include an open bar, buffet dinner (typical baseball food, burgers/chicken sandwiches, salad, popcorn, peanuts, nacho bar), ice cream sundae bar for dessert (but we can bring in our own cake if we want). LIke any other stadium there are outdoor seats to watch the game from, in addition to having seating inside.

What would you guys think about a "reception" like this? FMIL isnt quite on the bandwagon yet......

Re: Baseball Game Reception

• What is your FI concerns about this?

As for what you have planned.  As long as you are hosting your guests properly (meaning that you are going to pay for all of their tickets in addition to the suites and food and booze) and do not care about any of the traditional wedding things like spotlight dances, garter/bouquet toss, etc then I say go for it.

Where would you be having your ceremony?  I think you would need to figure out a place where everyone can meet at the stadium so that they can get their ticket for entry into the ballpark.  Or you could include the ticket with their invite but then you run into the risk of them forgetting it.  So I think making sure that everyone gets their ticket is going to be your biggest hurdle.  Unless you can set something up with the park to have a worker at a designated location with a list and all the tickets.

• Thanks Maggie0829

Yes, the pricing for everything would include the entrance tickets for everyoe.

We have thought about the whole ticket situation, and I agree about mailing with the invitation, I know I would forget it in a similar situation.

We are planning to have the ceremony at a local metropark, and the entire dy will be more casual -we will list this on the invitation so everyone can wear casual clothes.

Following the ceremony the idea would be to have 2 bridesmaids at the end of the receiving line passing the tickets out, as well as groomsman near the shuttle/parking lot (we are planning to provide a shuttle to interested guests) to verbally remind guests to make sure they have their ticket. Hopefully this will help to avoid anyone missing their ticket.

• I think your idea of a reception sounds fun actually! Especially since your crowd isn't really the dancing and partying type. And I agree with @Maggie0829 as long as your properly hosting your guest so they don't have to pay for any of this there should be no problem.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would actually really enjoy a party like yours.  I like the idea of handing out the tickets after the ceremony, the least amount of time in my hands the better. 

I would just caution with transportation, that you have to take people there and back...not just one way.  I'm sure you thought of that but wanted to make certain.  Also does your minor ball field charge for parking?  This is another thing that you should work out so the guests don't have to pay.

• As long as you are properly hosting your guests (and it sounds like you will be) I think it would be fun!    Having the suites open up will allow for people to mix and mingle as much/little as they want and take the pressure off of the traditional stuff that you don't seem interested in.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Totally agree- what I meant was that we are thinking to have a shuttle to go hotel-ceremony-game-then back to the hotel. Anyone would be able to meet at the hotel and ride the shuttle from there. We are also looking into buying parking passes for people to park at the stadium if they would prefer to drive.

Everything at the game would be paid for as well-food/drinks/tickets etc.

Thanks everyone-so glad to hear that people would probably enjoy themselves!

• That could be a lot of fun!  Please invite me! ;-) (j/k)
  • Thanks Maggie0829

Yes, the pricing for everything would include the entrance tickets for everyoe.

We have thought about the whole ticket situation, and I agree about mailing with the invitation, I know I would forget it in a similar situation.

We are planning to have the ceremony at a local metropark, and the entire dy will be more casual -we will list this on the invitation so everyone can wear casual clothes.

Following the ceremony the idea would be to have 2 bridesmaids at the end of the receiving line passing the tickets out, as well as groomsman near the shuttle/parking lot (we are planning to provide a shuttle to interested guests) to verbally remind guests to make sure they have their ticket. Hopefully this will help to avoid anyone missing their ticket.

You may also have to designate a "go to" person or "will call" system for anyone that may miss the ceremony and can't receive their ticket following it.
  • I agree, that sounds great, I'd really enjoy it!

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think this is an awesome idea! 

As far as the tickets go, would it be possible to arrange something ahead of time with the stadium so guests can get their tickets will-call style? All they'd really need is an alphabetized guest list. 

Also, because @shrekspeare stole my punny line, I just want to add that your FI is crazy if he doesn't accept your PITCH to host a reception like this! 

• Nothing more to add, but I just wanted to say how awesome your wedding sounds!

~*~*~*~*~

• My FI would LOVE this!! I think it sounds like a great idea. I agree with trying to get the tickets left at will-call with a list of names so that each guest can pick up their tickets. This will be much easier than doing it at the ceremony and solves the problem of guests who may have missed the ceremony altogether.

Good luck planning this, and have a BALL!! ;)
  • Love, Love, LOVE!! Way to think out of the box and make it your own!!  I think this would be an amazingly fun wedding to attend :)
  • can I get on the invite list too?
  • Sounds like fun & will be rememberable. For tickets I live the idea of having Bridal Party hand out tickets to people as they leave the ceremony location. Maybe you can put an insert into invite that tickets for reception will be handed out at ceremony but if you aren't able to make it to the ceremony tickets will be at will call after x:xxpm. This way someone can't make it to the ceremony due to work, or other commitment they can't get out or car problems of then they know at what time the tickets will be at will call.

• I just want to say that I LOVE baseball, and this sounds so much fun!!!!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Totally agree- what I meant was that we are thinking to have a shuttle to go hotel-ceremony-game-then back to the hotel. Anyone would be able to meet at the hotel and ride the shuttle from there. We are also looking into buying parking passes for people to park at the stadium if they would prefer to drive.

Everything at the game would be paid for as well-food/drinks/tickets etc.

Thanks everyone-so glad to hear that people would probably enjoy themselves!

Jst wanted to make sure you had everything covered :) Also your plan sounds Amazing and I want to go to your wedding now!
  • Thanks everyone!!!

Erikan73, singinchick13 , mobkaz , ElcaB - good call about having some sort of will-call situation or designated gate. Definitely something I will look into.

• This sounds awesome! I want to cancel my wedding and change it to this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards