New Jersey

Changing your last name in NJ

Good Morning Ladies!

I'm not getting married till next month but I was wondering how grueling the name change process is?

Anyone have any tips?  Should I go to Social Security 1st or the DMV?

Any insight would be great!  Thanks.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Changing your last name in NJ

• I recently got married and am dreading this process. The number #1 thing to do is get copies of your marriage certificate. NJ does not automatically issue them. You can file a request with the municipality you will be married in or there's on online request form somewhere.

From what I've heard and read, I plan on starting with SS. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Our marriage license was just mailed on Monday and I have no idea how long it takes for it to be ready.  I'm going to call tomorrow.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It actually wasn't that bad. 

Once I had my marriage certificate, I went to the social security office and the DMV. I could have gone to the DMV first but I did SS, just in case. Once that was taken care of, I went to the bank, and then made the change over the phone/via fax for my student loans and credit cards. 

I just did my passport about a month ago because we're traveling next month and I booked the flights in my married name. 

• @50shadesofme, I sent a request via mail on Monday and got our copies in the mail today. We got married in Sussex county, but I was surprised at how quickly the request was fulfilled.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @silver0319 I actually called Paterson to get a timeline of when it would be ready.  She asked for our info and looked it up and it was already in computer.  We can pick them up at anytime now.  They don't process them by mail, we physically have to go there and pay for it.  I probably won't be able to get there until my spring break (I'm a teacher).
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards