Snarky Brides
Options

Excuse me???

InkdancerInkdancer member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited April 2014 in Snarky Brides
So in January, I got an initial quote from a caterer. It was for $3400, which I could handle. After some delayed meetings, weirdness, etc I finally got the re-issued quote today, with a few changes. The new quote was for $6800.

I just about threw up at that number. That is 2/3 of my wedding budget! Where did that number come from???

This caterer is about to hear it from me, and she is not going to like what she hears.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
eyeroll

Re: Excuse me???

• Options
    Dang! Thats a gigantic increase. 
  • Options
    Whoa, what?  Did they explain why it doubled in price? 

• Options
    Holy crap. For how many guests and what kind of course meals are you planning to serve? 
  • Options
    Nope! I am going through line-by-line to see what was added and what changed.

MrsLynn said:
    Holy crap. For how many guests and what kind of course meals are you planning to serve? 
    It's a buffet for 125 people. Seems a little much to me.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Does that by any chance include your bar too?  Because if it does then your food and beverage should be about 60% (if not a bit more) of your overall wedding budget.

But yeah, unless you changed your food from chicken to lobster and caviar then a double in price is pretty ridiculous.

• Options
    Does that by any chance include your bar too?  Because if it does then your food and beverage should be about 60% (if not a bit more) of your overall wedding budget.

But yeah, unless you changed your food from chicken to lobster and caviar then a double in price is pretty ridiculous.
    We are having a dry wedding. There is no alcohol included in this quote because we are not serving any. This is literally coffee, soda, BBQ buffet, Mac'n'cheese station, biscuit app station.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    $6800 sounds very reasonable to me, depending upon what you are serving, but yeah, you need to look for the cause behind the sudden increase.

Did they suddenly include bar service or wait staff?
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:

We are having a dry wedding. There is no alcohol included in this quote because we are not serving any. This is literally coffee, soda, BBQ buffet, Mac'n'cheese station, biscuit app station.
    Um, yeah, then that price is crazy ridiculous!

• Options
    That's $54 per person... for BBQ and mac and cheese! No. Did she accidentally add your initial $3400 to your new $3400 or something?? That's crazy.

• Options
    ...I can't even...WHAT?!!!  My stomach would have fallen in to my feet, then crashed through the floor.

Our reception for up to 75 people (which included booze and wait staff) was only $3500, and that was a 4 course seated meal that was plated for our guests.

Your caterer is CRAY-CRAY!!!  I would LOVE to know how they came up with the new number. 
  • Options
    A 100% price increase and no booze?? What in the ever-loving hell is your venue co-ordinator smoking??
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    She must have thought your estimate was for your wedding and your PPD ;)
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:

Yum. Can I come to your wedding?

;-)  

• Options
    Um, that is bananas. 
  • Options
    That's crazy. I would for sure call her up and ask why the double in price-if your only having what you described! If she was really serious about that, I would find something better. I could see if you were having alcohol, but your not, and that price for just food, some other options, etc is redic!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thanks all! I'm glad to know I'm not losing my mind because that seemed like way too much money to me!
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Does that price include tax and service charges?  I find it unlikely that there is that much added on to your budget but I would ask if maybe it did.  Also I find that catering price to be normal.  My catering cost alone before tax and service charge is just over $9,000 for 80 guests.  But I live in a high cost area so maybe thats the reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, but I *wish* my caterer was only going to cost $6800 (including alcohol for 100ish, we're double that). However, I agree that it's kind of WTF for the quote to be doubled out of the blue.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Inkdancer said:

Nope! I am going through line-by-line to see what was added and what changed.

MrsLynn said:

It's a buffet for 125 people. Seems a little much to me.

Idk, but $6800 for 125 people sounds really reasonable. I am concerned that it doubled though!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ok read the rest of the the thread - for what you're getting, I agree that's high.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So did you ever find out what the increase was about?
  • Options
    raeah219 said:
    Yep! Turns out the employee who wrote the original quote was about to get fired, so she half-assed my quote and left a bunch of stuff off! We were doing all our rentals through them and she left off things like glasses so people could have drinks, and lots of other really basic stuff.

It looks like we will probably still do catering through them but not do rentals from them.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:
    raeah219 said:
    Yep! Turns out the employee who wrote the original quote was about to get fired, so she half-assed my quote and left a bunch of stuff off! We were doing all our rentals through them and she left off things like glasses so people could have drinks, and lots of other really basic stuff.

It looks like we will probably still do catering through them but not do rentals from them.
    Did you sign anything based on the original quote?  If so, I would make the caterer honor it.  Their employee did a poor job, they need to suck it up and deal with it.  Sticking the customer with twice the bill is poor customer relations.
  • Options
    Ven&Radio said:
    Inkdancer said:
    raeah219 said:

Did you sign anything based on the original quote?  If so, I would make the caterer honor it.  Their employee did a poor job, they need to suck it up and deal with it.  Sticking the customer with twice the bill is poor customer relations.
    Unfortunately no, so we're stuck with a price increase :C
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:
    raeah219 said:

A good vendor would realize that this was their own fault, and would stick to your originally quoted amount.  it's not YOUR fault that they had a bad employee on their hands.  I'd probably drop them entirely and demand my down payment back as a result of this.
    This. Or they would at least offer steep discounts for their rentals.

• Options
    I think if you offer to be reasonable by accepting some increase you can negotiate a large discount off the rentals. They should offer you something for the inconvenience and poor customer service.
  • Options
    I agree with the others- This is absolutely not your fault. I would inquire about a discount. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards