Plus-Sized

undergarments help

hyechica81hyechica81 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
edited April 2014 in Plus-Sized
so i had to switch out my long line bra out when my dress came in because seamstress said it would not work. they told me to get a regular bra with clear straps or a strapless. finding a regular bra in a size 42-b,c with clear straps was a challenge so i found a strapless, but the clear straps the lady gave me at the shop are on the flimsy side so i need thicker plastic clear straps. also the spanx i went and got the shorts kind well the seamstress suggested i go without them, last time i went when the dress came in for me to try on i had regular control top panties and the dress fit fine. today with the dress on and the spanx it fit a little tight, since the dress came in dec and my first fitting today i have not gained any weight i lost a few lbs but that was it.. does anyone know where i can get straps online for the bra in a thicker plastic clear straps and as far as the panties go should i wear like a light control top or a medium control top brief instead of the spanx?

Re: undergarments help

• The strapless bras I have that came with the clear straps came from Lane Bryant.  I'm not sure if they sell just the straps or not.  I will say they are not the most comfortable thing out there because your skin cannot really breath under them.  Would there be anyway your seamstress could sew in a bra/cups for your dress?  I'm not even sure if this is possible, but would the seamstress be able to make bra straps that would match your dress (I'm assuming the bra you bought has the straps that you can change in and out).

Anniversary
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    edited April 2014
    the bra i have came with these clear flimsy strips, i discussed with the seamstress about cups but they cannot be done due to the way the top of the dress fits and the back i would def need to have a bra on

i had the dress on yesterday without the straps, but i had the bra on they are saying the dress would fit better if i had  a regular size bra with clear straps, or if i couldn't find that then strapless with clear straps  as my dress has thick lace straps.  the long line was out of the question as it would not work with the dress at all there is a little back fat showing on the side you can see that in the mirror. but we were trying to get raise up the dress just a tad to cover it up.

this is me in the dress front view  if you click on photo it shows up the normal way not sideways
  • the photo shows sideways for me when I click on it.  But, anyway, if your dress is having straps added, why can't you just wear a bra with regular straps?  Why do they have to be clear?
    edited April 2014
    the seemstress says they should be clear or flesh tone so maybe something in like a beige or ivory would work in terms of straps.  i have the strapless but im thinking the salon is thinking the dress would fit better with a regular bra. i have my second fitting the end of april, so ill bring a nude colored bra with me and see how that would work with the dress
  • To your next fitting, I would take several different bra options with you.  The bra can totally change the way the top of the dress looks. 

When I was trying on - the bra I used with clear straps gave me too much of a 'push-up' effect which meant a lot of cleavage and I just was not comfortable.  I talked to the store seamstress before purchasing my dress and she said that many of your 'every day' bras would do that because you have both the structure of the dress and structure of the bra - she told me my best options would be to have cups sewn in, a bra sewn in or TRY a long line bra (or a regular strapless).

Anniversary
  • we tried the long line it was a no go didnt work at all and sewing cups into the dress is not an option as i need the support of a bra.

so i will be bringing straps with me to my next appointment for my strapless  and a regular nude bra to see what works better
  • @hyechica81 why did the seamstress say the long-line bra would not work?

Also, I've been in that bridal shop before, I think from your reccomendation ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • i had this amazing long line bra it was lacy all over i got it at a intimates shop the cups were a little to big as i am a 42-44 band size and a b-c cup, the cups were to big and they didn't have my cup size with my band size so i had to go a cup bigger, the place i went to gave me cutlets that they were going to sew in so that it would fit me better, 

i take the long line with me when my dress came in ( salon wanted me to try it to make sure everything fit ok,  the bra was pooping up from the top of the dress we tried to pull the bra down but it was still popping out. i went back to intimates shop and returned the bra, we tried on another long line that she had just gotten in in my band and size but it fit all weird and still riding up. i told the lady they said a strapless with clear straps would work better so that the bra is not popping up from the top.

i got the strapless but the clear straps they were thick in width but not in material so the plastic was on the flimsy side. so i went with just the strapless but my ladies are not pushed up all the way and i would need the straps for support the long lines i tried had hook and eye closures in the back and lots of them

my dress has 2 lace thick straps attached to it so a nude strap or a clear strap bra would be no problem 

so i am going to go out and find a nice comfortable nude bra  and try it on with the dress as well as get some straps for the strapless bra and see what would work better.
  • @hyechica81 they couldn't sew the long line bra into your dress?

I would be so nervous to just have a bra only with my wedding dress. I'm going to get custom-fitted for a long-line bra when the dress comes in just to have it. When I tried dresses on with it, I felt like my posture was better and it basically hid all my trouble spots. Also, my waist looked TINY!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • my dress has routching and a lot of pick ups so really all i need is a shaper panty my dress is a corset back so it already has the boning in it for a corset.

• I had the cups of my longline altered. They were able to shorten the cups so it wasn't popping out the top. That gave me the support I needed without straps.
  • I also had my long line altered. My niece had one altered and then sewn in to her prom dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would check at a place like Joanne's for thicker clear straps.I know the one here in Colorado has some - also ones that have diamonds or lace. They are near the sewing notions - like the hooks & elastic and such.

OH! they even have the fashion straps online:

http://www.joann.com/fashion-straps/9543505.html#start=7

http://www.joann.com/fashion-straps/9543885.html#start=24

• ps - those are just two examples - they had lots of others!
  • thanks i am going to see if that will work better with the dress a nice thicker strap, the strapless i have now is so comfortable and i am hoping they can get it to work with the top. the top right now is super huge and they have to take in the sides so hopefully with that they can get it to fit better
  • My dress has a corset, Therefore I don't need an extra bra, correct?

i would say it depends on how you feel in the dress - i, personally would not feel comfortable without a bra, even with a corset back - and how the girls look - sometimes its better to have a bra or bra cups just to make sure the silhouette is right.
  • ok so i bought a platex bra from walmart yesterday one that had an all over lift i bring it to the fitting and the bra is to high and it shows from the back of the dress on top of it the bust is still big and they have to take it in more on the sides make them tighter she put in cups and the dress looked so much better

so the final outcome is a girdle off the rack from like a walmart or target  having a hard time finding my size in a medium firmness and the cups sewn in the bra i do have shorts style spanx but i dont like the fact that they have a leg that goes to the knee and it does not really work with the dress.

• I have found the cheaper bra's don't fit right.  I would go to a place that actually fits you for a bra and get the right bra for you and the riding up issue will stop. I always thought I couldn't wear strapless bras and because of several issues (cups collapsing, boobs still falling out, riding up) went to davids and low and behold I wasn't getting the right size.
    edited May 2014
    @passthewine thanks i just need to get a shapper since my cups are being sewn in but i am having a hard time finding one in larger than a xx which is like a 16/18 i need a 22/24
  • @hyechica81 Some XX might still fit depending on the brand I am a size 26 and I do fit in some XX shapers. I would probably suggest a store like torrid or lane bryant maybe? Spandex usually has bigger sizes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards