Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Would Blake Shelton's "Mine would be you" be a good choice for the first dance?

My FI and I love the song, but we are worried it is too much of a breakup song. Things were rough for us for a while a couple years back and no one knew not even us if we would ever make it, but then things got better. That song talks about good and bad times and how they have always been the one. HELP!

Re: Would Blake Shelton's "Mine would be you" be a good choice for the first dance?

• It's actually funny that I just saw this. My FI mentioned us using this song the other day. We both love it. The only reason we didn't decide on it is because of the "make-up sex" line. We just don't know if people will find it to be too inappropriate. 
  • I was thinking the exact same thing!  I love everything in that song but that line is just pushing it for a wedding.
  • Yes!!!! That song makes me cry every time. "Mine would be you, sunkissed shining, back road flying, singing like crazy fools. Baby if I had to choose my best day ever, my finest hour... something something something, Mine would be you."
  • maybe you could have the dj edit the song so that part is out of it? and still play it 
  • My FI and I LOVE that song!!  We are considering it for our first dance.  We aren't at all concerned about the "make-up sex" part...we figure every adult understands and possibly appreciates the reference to a couple's ability to work through differences... ;)
    We are actually wondering about the last verse that talks about "the one regret you can't work through...mine would be you."  We know what it means in this song, but it sounds too much like a heartbreak/breakup song.
  • I don't think you should use it. It's definitely a song about a break up and missing all of the good stuff you had together as a couple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The end lyrics are: "What's the one regret you can't work through? You got it baby, mine would be you

Mine would be you
    Taillights fading
    Daylight breaking
    Standing there like a fool
    When I should've been running
    Yellin' out something
    To make you wanna hold on to
    The best love ever
    Girl, can you tell me
    The one thing you'd rather die than lose?
    Cause mine would be you"

The song literally is talking about losing someone you cared so much about.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards