Texas-Austin

Destination wedding in Austin....need vendor recommendations!

My fiance and I are planning a wedding in Austin that will be very small so we also need a budget friendly vendor for our flowers and a photographer/videographer.

For the flowers I want something simple with a country feel that can honor my father who has passed, so I need someone who can work with me on ideas on how to incorporate a personal belonging of my dad's.

For the photographer and videographer I would ideally like a business that provides both and offers a great customization package since we won't need either for more than a couple of hours at most.

Thanks for anyone you can suggest!!!

Re: Destination wedding in Austin....need vendor recommendations!

• Hey ShaunRonda!

You look familiar... Do you happen to know anyone who went to Pflugerville high school back in 2004?
    You could just have a familiar face, haha, sorry!
    Congratulations on getting closer to tying the knot!

Where are you getting married? Your theme kind of sounds a bit like ours, as we're also going for something lightly country but with more of a soft and romantic rustic feel. I like the idea of you personalizing your wedding in remembrance of your late father, that sounds so sweet. :-)

I've been loving my experience with Christina Alfonso of Me So Hungry. She actually happens to be my DOC too and has helped me tremendously with the wedding planning process. Her experience is invaluable and has totally made everything comfortable and easy for us. The best part is her access to linens, rentals and flowers-all of which we'll be using her to service our wedding with because it really does lower the stress when you're dealing with one personable vendor versus several extra. Plus her linens were cheaper than renting them anywhere else in town!

The best part was the bundle savings we were given for signing up with her to do more than just the coordination. We got $150 off her DOC services for booking her floral
    design services. Yay, we love saving money!!

She's so fun, easy to work and very creative! You should reach out and send her your budget requirements, I'm sure she can work with your needs and create a beautiful finished product for your day. Our budget is very limited and not impressive by any means and it's so nice to know there are great pros out there that aren't just a luxury option. I've heard nothing but raving reviews here and so far the experience has been seamless. Tell her you were referred by Kelly and David and I think you'll get a free gift/discount if you book her! I used DNA4EVA as a referral (thanks Dee!!) and received a free toss bouquet and flower girl petals! Not bad for knowing someone who knows someone... ;-)

As far as photography and videography packages go, don't be afraid to negotiate an hourly rate that makes sense to your vendor and is still nice to your pocketbook. Remember they need our business just as much as we want their services. I've looked into Millhouse, who was also suggested here and loved their work. Just about every sample video I viewed on their site put me to tears. I loved the personal touches and how well everything of the entire day flowed so well together. Looks like there's a lot of tailoring and customization allowed here and that was so important to us as everyone's style is different.

I'm sure you'll land a rate you can afford especially if your reception will have shorter hours than a typical one.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! HTH!!

Happy planning,
    Kelly
  • Austin is pretty heavy on photographers because they have an amazing school there for it, but try Simone Ephiphany Photography. She's pretty budget friendly so if she doesn't do video, you'll still have a decent amount left for another hire. Good luck!
  • Try emailing emily@emilyandm.com
    She is a photographer new to weddings but very talented. She is offering negotiable rates until she launches her website
  • Dont use Vista on Seward Hill. THEY ARE TERRIBLE!!! It seems fine in the beginning, but each month they add more and more fees. Brides Beware!!! Biggest venue mistake in Austin.

They charge you extra to come in and set up, they charge you to utilize their audio equipment and sound systems, they don't provide ANYTHING, the place is all you get and if you need anything they will nickle and dime you.... it is bare bone everything. No silverware, no plates, no linens...JUST the rental of the stuff they dont provide was an additional $3k!!! We even had to pay an extra $300 to get the rental stuff picked up at 1am on a Saturday night because they dont provide anything and dont let you leave it until normal business hours.

DONT USE THIS VENUE. BOOOOO VISTA ON SEWARD HILL BOOO

• I would highly recommend Captive Art Photography for your photographer! Marisa is so great, and her photos are amazing. My fiance and I have had several photoshoots with her, and she is fantastic, and her prices are awesome! 

www.captiveartphotography.com
  • Just wanted to add a note about Christina Alfonso of Me So Hungry catering and event planning.

She absolutely and unequivocally RUINED our wedding reception.  I actually found her through this community and was super excited to be using her but she turned out to be nothing but trouble and disappointment.

It often took months to hear back from her on questions.  Then her responses were so long and convoluted, I'd never feel like my question or concern was addressed.

The food at the tasting was good so we felt excited to use her for catering, DOC AND to assist with flowers.   Thank GOD, on a whim, I decided to take over doing the flowers myself as her lack of communication and responses left me feeling like I didn't want to risk every aspect of my wedding failing.  As it turns out, flowers were about the ONLY thing that were exactly what I wanted on that day, and it's because I did it myself.

I will be posting a full review here, but if you are using Christina Alfonso for ANYTHING, beware...you will get nothing you are promised.

In hindsight I have spoken to the other brides who have used her and even her own "associates" and her reputation for being disorganized, forgetful and sloppy are what is *actually* unprecedented.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards