Wedding Invitations & Paper

Intimate Destination Wedding, with reception back home - honeymoon fund etiquette

Re: Intimate Destination Wedding, with reception back home - honeymoon fund etiquette

• Not only is it a "no no" to request honeymoon gifts, it's also rude to request gifts at what is actually a celebration of a marriage (not a reception). Actually, it's rude to request gifts at all, ever. If people want to get you something, they will, and if they don't know what you want, they'll ask.
  • edited April 2014
    Please don't have an AHR that includes a bridal party, reciting vows again, spotlight dances, etc.  If you are already married, I don't want to sit through any of that crap.  I just want to eat and drink and socialize and tell you congrats.

And please, for the love of God, please do not ask for any sort of gifts or money, and do not set up a honeyfund of any sorts.  You want to go on a honeymoon, you pay for all those excursions on your own.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• You don't request gifts. Ever. For anything. Ever.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We are all being punked.

Let's hope so. If not, I fear for humanity.

• Hello All, So my fiance and I are planning to get married on Sept in the virgin islands. The only people attending are our parents only because we wanted to keep it a very intimate ceremony. However, the following weekend we are planning on having a dinner party reception with 200 guests. We do not want gifts but rather our family and friends gifting us with excursions and dinners or even a drink when we arrive! Nothing at all overpriced! We just have a furnished home already and we dont want "towels" or an "espresso maker" as gifts. I keep finding all of these blogs saying that sending the honeymoon fund gift request is a huge "no-no" however we are having a destination wedding. Not a normal invitational wedding My question is, I plan on sending out the announcements of our marriage with a separate card of a reception party invite. How do we attached a separate card request gifts of a dinner or an excursion? I greatly appreciate the help!!!
    So you say you dont want gifts? But you want to include an insert asking for gifts? I am confused.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hello All, So my fiance and I are planning to get married on Sept in the virgin islands. The only people attending are our parents only because we wanted to keep it a very intimate ceremony. However, the following weekend we are planning on having a dinner party reception with 200 guests. We do not want gifts but rather our family and friends gifting us with excursions and dinners or even a drink when we arrive! Nothing at all overpriced! We just have a furnished home already and we dont want "towels" or an "espresso maker" as gifts. I keep finding all of these blogs saying that sending the honeymoon fund gift request is a huge "no-no" however we are having a destination wedding. Not a normal invitational wedding My question is, I plan on sending out the announcements of our marriage with a separate card of a reception party invite. How do we attached a separate card request gifts of a dinner or an excursion? I greatly appreciate the help!!!
    So you say you dont want gifts? But you want to include an insert asking for gifts? I am confused.
    She only wants gifts that help fund her honeymoon. None of those silly household items.

She only wants gifts that help fund her honeymoon. None of those silly household items.

I get that. But isnt paying $100 for a $90 voucher still a gift?
    BabyFruit Ticker

I get that. But isnt paying $100 for a $90 voucher still a gift?
    Yeah. She is just being picky about what gifts are and are not acceptable. And apparently getting money for her HM minus a fee is the acceptable gift.

• 1.  You have chosen to have a private destination wedding ceremony.  Since there will be no guests, there will be no reception.  You gave that up when you made your plans.
    2.  A party at a later date is not a wedding reception.  No wedding dress, no wedding party, no gifts.
    3.  You should not register at all.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Sorry, we can't help you.  It's not your guests' job to fund your honeymoon.  Did you know that those "honeyfund" sponsors take a cut of the "donations" and you only get a portion of them?

You can have a party later, but it won't be a "wedding reception."  Therefore, you need to forgo traditional wedding trappings, such as attendants, gifts, "first" dances, etc.  And many Knot members would also include a big white bridal gown in that category, because you won't be a "bride" anymore.
  • You don't do any of this. If people ask you where you are registered, tell them you are not and your preferred gift is getting to celebrate with them. Some will likely give a gift anyway , and then you'll write a thank you note. It's not hard.
  • i really, really think this person is trolling.  she cannot be serious.
  • In addition to all the above... why do you "need" another honeymoon anyway when you're just getting home from the Virgin Islands?? 

• I call troll. MUD. Something to rile the masses.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In addition to all the above... why do you "need" another honeymoon anyway when you're just getting home from the Virgin Islands?? 
    I think her DW is also her honeymoon, and she wants people to pay for things like dinners and excursions while she is in the Virgin Islands.
  • edited April 2014
    In addition to all the above... why do you "need" another honeymoon anyway when you're just getting home from the Virgin Islands?? 
    I think her DW is also her honeymoon, and she wants people to pay for things like dinners and excursions while she is in the Virgin Islands.
    But she said they will have already gotten back from the Virgin Islands when they have this party... unless she's asking people to buy/send her the gift/money before they even leave for the wedding, a week+ in advance of the reception. Or the money will pay for a time machine. That makes just about as much sense as asking people to fund your honeymoon in the first place.

ETF a missing word.

But she said they will have already gotten back from the Virgin Islands when they have this party... unless she's asking people to buy/send her the gift/money before they even leave for the wedding, a week+ in advance of the reception. Or the money will pay for a time machine. That makes just about as much sense as asking people to fund your honeymoon in the first place.

ETF a missing word.
    My guess is that she's planning on announcing her marriage before she actually gets married, with details about where and when she plans to do it, and she wants to include the Gimme card with these pre-wedding cards so that people buy them honeymoon-related presents before either the actual wedding or the post-wedding party.

But I could be wrong.  I have only a passing familiarity with Crazy - I don't speak fluently and I'm more used to translating dead philosophers than live fruitcakes.

• And look, a DD! Time for some puppies!

~*~*~*~*~

• UGH. There are no words.

Why do people insist on having private weddings and then invite the world to a party afterwards? It totally defeats the purpose of keeping things simple and intimate. Plus, it in no way saves money, unless you are the OP who hopes she makes her money back by demanding donations. SMH

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards