Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Signature Drinks (take 2)

SBminiSBmini member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited April 2014 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
We have an interesting alcohol situation at our wedding. It's going to be a hybrid table service open bar... combination of two wedding customs. We'll have vodka, whiskey and wine on the tables, then a bar for mixed drinks.

Since we are buying so much alcohol for the tables, we've opted to go for a limited open bar with vodka, whiskey, tequila and rum- plus mixers. I'm not sure what to expect for the bottles on the table for my family. We may have a lot of extra vodka or whiskey that can be used at the bar, or we may not. So my thought on signature drinks was to play it safe and focus on drinks that can be made with the other two alcohols- tequila and rum. I want to use pomegranate in one of the drinks as it carries a lot of significance in my fiance's culture and is a symbol of weddings and abundance.

These are the drinks I'm currently toying with. I'll need to pick two:

Grapefruit margarita: tequila, orange liqueur, grapefruit juice, lime, simple syrup
(I LOVE the color of these, and I think they are super tasty)

Pomegranate margarita: tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, pomegranate juice
(not as pretty)

Pomegranate mojito: rum, pomegranate juice, club soda, lime, pomegranate seeds, sugar, mint leaves
-or-
Pomegranate daiquiri (non blended): rum, simple syrup, lime, pomegranate juice, maraschino liqueur, blackberries.

Berry mojito: fresh berries, rum, lemon, lime, simple syrup, mint, champagne
(Love the idea of this one!)

Which drinks stand out to you the most? Maybe the berry mojito with the champagne can be made into a yummy pomegranate drink too! I'm sort of lost and short of mixing these all up myself and trying them, I'd like some thoughts!

Signature Drinks (take 2) 35 votes

Grapefruit Margarita
28% 10 votes
Pomegranate Margarita
8% 3 votes
Pomegranate Mojito
14% 5 votes
Pomegranate Daiquiri
11% 4 votes
Berry Mojito
37% 13 votes

Re: Signature Drinks (take 2)

• It only let me pick one! I'd say pomegranate daiquiri and grapefruit margarita, cause two pomegranate drinks would be over kill, and I personally don't like mojitos.

Anniversary
  • Thanks! I couldn't figure out how to allow people to select two options. I forgot to mention that there would only be one pomegranate drink, the other would be something else.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I prefer the pom & grapefruit margaritas. 

To me, non-blended daiquiris are a waste of perfectly good alcohol and I don't like mojitos. 
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2014
    I like mojitos if they are done right. but i am a classic girl when it comes to drinks, i dont venture very far when i go to the bar i usualy stick to classic like fuzzy navels ( peach tree and oj) peachtree madress ( peachtree oj and cranberry), sex on the beach, malibu bay breeze, madori sours,

all of your signature drinks are rum or  tequila based, I don't see any vodka based drinks..

I am not a big fan of both of those mixers but i know for myself to much rum and tequila would get me sick.

maybe change one of the drinks to a vodka based drink  I don't see much variety but that's me

we have drinkers in my family but our venue does not allow any kind of bottles on the table they cant control who drank what and how much. but we have a full open bar.
  • am i the only one who thinks bottles of vodka and whiskey on the tables is strange?  i've never seen that.  are people supposed to just like pour liquor into their glasses?  will there be mixers?  sorry, i don't get how that works operationally.  doesn't seem tasteful.
  • I love the idea of the berry mojito and the grapefruit margarita. I don't normally drink mixed drinks but I would be having those all night long as a guest at your wedding!
  • I would personally go for grapefruit margarita and pomegranate mojito. 

• am i the only one who thinks bottles of vodka and whiskey on the tables is strange?  i've never seen that.  are people supposed to just like pour liquor into their glasses?  will there be mixers?  sorry, i don't get how that works operationally.  doesn't seem tasteful.
    It's cultural. Top-shelf alcohol + soda on the table for mixing/shots. If I don't have it- everyone on his side of the family will feel alienated and probably think we're being cheap. But of course, if I just do bottle service, everyone on my side of the table will feel jipped for not being able to do mixed drinks. Hence the blend of the two cultures. It has its benefits for sure. You never have to stand in line for drinks, and everyone can drink as much as they want. But I tend to do one JW/Coke and then switch to wine because I think vodka is disgusting on its own.
  • SBmini said:

am i the only one who thinks bottles of vodka and whiskey on the tables is strange?  i've never seen that.  are people supposed to just like pour liquor into their glasses?  will there be mixers?  sorry, i don't get how that works operationally.  doesn't seem tasteful.

It's cultural. Top-shelf alcohol + soda on the table for mixing/shots. If I don't have it- everyone on his side of the family will feel alienated and probably think we're being cheap. But of course, if I just do bottle service, everyone on my side of the table will feel jipped for not being able to do mixed drinks. Hence the blend of the two cultures. It has its benefits for sure. You never have to stand in line for drinks, and everyone can drink as much as they want. But I tend to do one JW/Coke and then switch to wine because I think vodka is disgusting on its own.

FYI "jipped" is a mispelling of "gyppied" (I think thats how its spelled,) and is an ethnic slur. It's a hard habit to break, but its something to be mindful of.

Anniversary
  • @sbmini but you have a bar, right? I'm so confused by this. I'm picturing handles of Smirnoff and orange juice cartons next to your centerpieces. Where will the glasses for these shots and drinks sit?
  • SBminiSBmini member
    edited April 2014
    @sbmini but you have a bar, right? I'm so confused by this. I'm picturing handles of Smirnoff and orange juice cartons next to your centerpieces. Where will the glasses for these shots and drinks sit?
    Just two 750ml bottles of hard alcohol, one bottle of wine and 1 carafe of soda on every table. The glasses are on the table- they are thin, tall glasses that don't look like shot glasses. I tried finding an example for you, but I don't seem to have one from the weddings we've been to.  
  • The pom mojito sounds like it would be right up my alley!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I feel like it's overkill to have vodka and whiskey on the tables and at the bar.  Especially since your bar is so limited.  I would look at the vodka and whiskey on the table and think "I don't want that" so I'd go to the bar and be disappointed when I found out there were only two other options, neither of which I particularly like.  Also, you mentioned just one bottle of wine on the table.  So people won't even have the choice of red or white?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SBminiSBmini member
    edited April 2014
    mysticl said:
    I feel like it's overkill to have vodka and whiskey on the tables and at the bar.  Especially since your bar is so limited.  I would look at the vodka and whiskey on the table and think "I don't want that" so I'd go to the bar and be disappointed when I found out there were only two other options, neither of which I particularly like.  Also, you mentioned just one bottle of wine on the table.  So people won't even have the choice of red or white?

What alcohol do you prefer that we aren't including. Other than gin (which can easily be substituted for vodka for many srinks) I don't see anything major missing. You can feel what ever you want and do what ever you want at your wedding. But this is what we're doing and trust me- it's been thought out, it's been discussed to ad nauseum, a lot of opinions were brought in- and this is the best solution. I am hosting people and frankly, if people here will go on and on how guests should appreciate being hosted at dry weddings, people will be fine with the copious amounts of high quality alcohol we will be providing. 

For my FI family, nothing will be different at the tables, and for my family, who mostly drinks wine and simply cocktails, they'll have enough at the open bar. We have to have vodka at the bar because it is the number 1 alcohol in mixed drinks in the nation. Whiskey will be table overflow.

The overall plan here isn't what is up for debate. What is up for debate is what the two specialty drinks. That is what I need help on- not on the plan that has been decided.

There will be both red and white wine- both on the tables and extra at the bar.   
  • SBmini said:
    mysticl said:
    I feel like it's overkill to have vodka and whiskey on the tables and at the bar.  Especially since your bar is so limited.  I would look at the vodka and whiskey on the table and think "I don't want that" so I'd go to the bar and be disappointed when I found out there were only two other options, neither of which I particularly like.  Also, you mentioned just one bottle of wine on the table.  So people won't even have the choice of red or white?

What alcohol do you prefer that we aren't including. Other than gin (which can easily be substituted for vodka for many srinks) I don't see anything major missing. You can feel what ever you want and do what ever you want at your wedding. But this is what we're doing and trust me- it's been thought out, it's been discussed to ad nauseum, a lot of opinions were brought in- and this is the best solution. I am hosting people and frankly, if people here will go on and on how guests should appreciate being hosted at dry weddings, people will be fine with the copious amounts of high quality alcohol we will be providing. 

For my FI family, nothing will be different at the tables, and for my family, who mostly drinks wine and simply cocktails, they'll have enough at the open bar. We have to have vodka at the bar because it is the number 1 alcohol in mixed drinks in the nation. Whiskey will be table overflow.

The overall plan here isn't what is up for debate. What is up for debate is what the two specialty drinks. That is what I need help on- not on the plan that has been decided.

There will be both red and white wine- both on the tables and extra at the bar.   
    I know I can and I did.  We had a full open bar.  

Actually by posting here you did put it up for debate.  So I commented on something that seemed off to me.  As for the "signature drinks" I don't like any of the options you proposed. 

You left the information about the wine out.  You said one bottle of wine on the tables so that means you aren't having both at each table and you didn't mention wine at the bar.  Having both at the bar does open up more options for people.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • this sounds like such an eye sore and cluster****.  just have the bartender mix and serve the drinks.  i don't understand why that is not the obvious way to go.  you are stocking tables and then giving the bar the leftovers.  so strange.
  • this sounds like such an eye sore and cluster****.  just have the bartender mix and serve the drinks.  i don't understand why that is not the obvious way to go.  you are stocking tables and then giving the bar the leftovers.  so strange.
    Different cultures have different customs. You are being rude and ignorant to what is simply a different way to do something. The tables look fine. Again- it isn't up for debate. The question at hand is what the signature drinks are. 
  • SBmini said:
    this sounds like such an eye sore and cluster****.  just have the bartender mix and serve the drinks.  i don't understand why that is not the obvious way to go.  you are stocking tables and then giving the bar the leftovers.  so strange.
    Different cultures have different customs. You are being rude and ignorant to what is simply a different way to do something. The tables look fine. Again- it isn't up for debate. The question at hand is what the signature drinks are. 
    Is this really a cultural thing, or is it more your FI's family's thing?  I'm just curious.

It seems like overkill to me as well to have handles of liqueur and bottles of wine on the tables and a limited open bar, but meh.

I'm not a vodka, rum, or tequila drinker so I'd pass on those signature drinks, though they sound nice.  I'd stick to wine or scotch if you had it, whiskey depending on the brand.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• SBmini said:
    this sounds like such an eye sore and cluster****.  just have the bartender mix and serve the drinks.  i don't understand why that is not the obvious way to go.  you are stocking tables and then giving the bar the leftovers.  so strange.
    Is this really a cultural thing, or is it more your FI's family's thing?  I'm just curious.

It seems like overkill to me as well to have handles of liqueur and bottles of wine on the tables and a limited open bar, but meh.

I'm not a vodka, rum, or tequila drinker so I'd pass on those signature drinks, though they sound nice.  I'd stick to wine or scotch if you had it, whiskey depending on the brand.
    Do you think I don't know the difference? It's culture. Every wedding I've been to of his friends/family has been this way.

And once again- it's not up for debate.
  • @SBMini aside from people's opinions about how your tables will look... Grapefruit margarita for sure!! Sounds delicious and you said it looks pretty which is a plus haha my second choice would be the berry mojito. I don't even usually drink mojitos but it sounds delicious. Will you do a menu board that details what is in each drink? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @SBMini I vote for pom margarita

I don't personally like grapefruit juice, but aside from that, I was thinking that grapefruit juice reacts with certain medications. These are probably the same medications that react with alcohol, so it may be a moot point. If you do go with this drink, I just would recommend that you have a menu or something so everyone knows that grapefruit juice is in the drink.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards