Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Non-Cake Dessert options

My fiancé and I have decided we don't really want to have a cake.  I don't like sweets at all. In fact each year on my birthday, my friends think of ways to make bacon into the shape of a cake.  My fiancee also has no taste for cake.  Neither of us have an interest in doing a cake cutting either.  I do realize that the wedding is not just about us and guests love dessert.  We thought about pies or fudge.  But neither idea seemed right.

I wanted to see what people would think about doing port and chocolate.  We thought it would be fun to set up a few different flavors of port and a few different bites of dark chocolate.  My venue said they could do it for a reasonable price.  Would this be something people would enjoy?  Or would you be upset that you didn't get cake?  Please be honest…I could always just do cake!

Re: Non-Cake Dessert options

• I like the idea of port and chocolate, but I think you should serve a more substantial dessert as well.

Anniversary
  • I agree with PP that it sounds like a fun idea, but I wouldn't really consider a couple of pieces of chocolate as dessert. Have you considered a dessert bar? You could have a bunch of different little desserts for people to try instead of one big cake.
  • not a fan of port, as a hobby baker 2 pieces of chocolate would still leave me hungry and wanting something more substantial.

I know you don't like cake. but what about cupcakes? you can have different flavors to choose from dont go crazy maybe do like 4 flavors, cupcakes have come a long way from just your standard chocolate, vanilla, and red velvet,

some cupcake flavors dark chocolate cupcake filled with a bittersweet chocolate ganache topped with a raspberry buttercream.

lemon cake filled with lemon curd topped with a lemon buttercream and toasted coconut on top

smores chocolate cake filled with bittersweet ganache topped with a vanilla marshmallow buttercream crumbled graham crackers a piece of hershey bar and some chocolate drizzle with some mini marshmallows

if the cupcake idea does not float your boat

what about a table with mini deserts canolis, cookies, cream puffs, mini triffles, mini pies,
    and fruit
    or  you could do a cookie table like a chocolate chip a sugar cookie, maybe an oatmeal cookie get creative

though if you do go the non traditional cake route you must have enough sweets for guest to sample more than one
  • Port & chocolate and if you could do wine & chocolate pairings would be fun. Not that's more about the alcohol then the dessert. Here are some none cake ideas

• Mousse
    • Fruit
    • Tarts
    • Cupcakes
    • Brownies
    • Ice Cream bar
    • Candy Bar (can double as favors)
    • Pies
  • Thanks for the advice.  It seems like I would still need to do another dessert…which then makes it not really in budget.  Maybe I will just stick with cake.  Or pick one of the great options you guys suggested.  I'm just have no desire for a fancy cake or cake cutting, so I figured it might be fun to do something else.  But there is a reason cake is a tradition that has lasted over the years! 
    Thanks for the advice.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't think the port and chocolate are a bad idea, but I don't know it's sufficient enough for a dessert. 

Since you love bacon, what about doing bacon cupcakes? I've never made them before, but I've heard they are amazing! 

We are skipping cake and instead opting for a dessert trio: cheesecake, chocolate truffles, and fresh fruit. 

You could do a dessert table with an assortment of cookies, cupcakes, pies, tarts, fruit crisps, etc. 
  • I have had bacon cupcakes…but unfortunately they still taste like cupcakes so they aren't for me!  I have thought about a dessert table with assorted pastries and what not.  But you have to have so many options, I feel like so much gets wasted!

The port and chocolate is only budget friendly if it was the sole dessert; however, I think that people would be bummed that there wasn't something more substantial.  

I do like the idea of pies.  Maybe we could do two different pies, a sweet one and a fruit one so that there are options!
  • I recently went to a wedding where they served cookies instead of cake.  Rather than a cake cutting, the bride and groom did a cookie dunking and dunked their cookies into a big glass of milk.  It was really cute.

If you don't like cake.  Don't have cake.  Serve whatever dessert makes you happy.
  • Cake cuttings and serving each other any foods are not required, but I would serve something additional for dessert since port and chocolate seem rather slender by themselves.
  • I think port and chocolate would be enough if it's several bites per person. I think it's a pretty elegant alternative. 

However people who don't drink, are DDs or children, or who think port is gross would appreciate something nonalcoholic to go with it as well. Milk or hot cocoa or coffee all go well with chocolate. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love the cookie idea,especially the dunking and feeding each other cookies instead of cake. I am refusing to let my fiance feed me cake because I'm paying to get my hair and make up done and will be wearing a nice dress and I KNOW he will still smear it on my face despite my begging him not to. A cookie could be less dangerous than cake with icing. 

Ooh.. a cookie cake! Oh man those are so good. 
  • Yeah I agree I would love port and chocolate, but wouldn't consider it dessert. Could you add cookies on without going over budget? 

• Port and chocolate sounds very sophisticated and delicious, but I'm not sure it's enough of a dessert for a wedding, especially for those who don't really like chocolate (shocking as it is to me, there are such people out there!). 

If you really don't want to do the whole cake cutting ritual, you might be better off doing a dessert table with cookies, mini-pastries, fruit, etc., and maybe a nice pie or two. That way your guests get a nice dessert, but you're not stuck eating something you don't like. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    One other thing:  Some people are allergic to chocolate or won't eat it because of skin problems.  I think you should have a non-chocolate alternative.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards