Attire & Accessories Forum

Veil Questions

When trying on a veil, it looks pretty, but it just FEELS silly. I've been thinking that if anything, I would do a birdcage, but it turns out that my FI and mom and who knows who else are anti-birdcage and pro-"normal" veil. Did anyone else get over the feeling silly in a veil portion? I also feel like since I'm so short, it makes me look even more squat.

This is my dress.

This is the veil that my sister suggested would look nice.

Of course there is always the option of a plain veil or ribboned edge or something like that.

What do you think?

Wedding Black & White, Sepia

Re: Veil Questions

• If you are uncomfortable in an elaborate veil, try a shorter plain veil.  You don't have to wear one if you don't want to, but this is possibly the only time in your life that you will get the chance to wear one.  My DH wasn't bothered by daughter wearing her wedding dress, but once she put on the veil, he teared up with emotion.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I felt stupid for wanting a big veil until I looked up pictures of brides in them and thought, "Yeah, I want to be stupid and dramatic with the veil." I still feel slightly silly, but to be fair, wearing a giant white gown is pretty silly anyway. 

How many styles have you tried on? I made the lady at my salon pass along dozens of styles, and then I bought tulle for myself and played around with it. Try on fascinators and/or headbands too to see if that's a more comfortable look for you. 
  • I love veils, and am looking forward to the ridiculousness of one. I think though that a simpler edged one would look nice since the bottom edge of your dress (gorgeous, btw) is simple. I think a fingertip length one, maybe with a little beading at the edge, would be lovely! Elbow length may cut you off a little too much.

• I think you can pull of a veil no problem, but I would recommend one that doesn't have a large lace border. The one your sister picked out is a nice veil but I don't think it goes with your dress. I think the veil would fight for attention with your dress.. I would recommend more of a finger tip length veil that is just sheer or has just a little bling/detail on it.
  • I wasn't sure about a veil either, until I tried one on at the salon, and honestly, I got more emotional putting on a veil than I did my gown.  THAT is when I felt like a bride.

My mom ended up making my veil, and I "blinged" it up. 

You can see the length of the veil in my sig.

Here's a close up of it.  It looks a little funky up-close (I hot glued 'pearls' and Swarovski crystals to it, and I bought the ribbon at Hobby Lobby that I glued them to), but it sure did sparkle outdoors.

I think for your gown "Less is more".  I do think the fingertip length would be perfect, but a simple veil with something simple going on at the edge would be a perfect compliment.

Good luck!!!
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    One of the first times I tried on dresses, I found a dress I loved and tried on a few veils with it and felt ridiculous. Later, when I tried on dresses at another store and tried on veils, I felt really comfortable and liked the way they look. I think it's just weird because you're not used to wearing it. 

I think with your dress, an elbow or finger-length veil would look really nice. I'd get something plainer since there's so much detail on your dress as opposed to lace --- a plain tulle veil with rhinestone edging would really bring out the sparkle on the top. 

• I felt so silly with the first couple veils I tried on. It just felt so weird to me! But, once I found one that went perfectly with my gown everything just seemed to fit and it didn't feel so costumey any more. I agree with the other PPs you should look for a simple veil since your dress has a lot of beading. Fingertip would be great! Cathedral length would look awesome too just with out all that lace edging.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I was anti-veil when I purchased my dress.  Then the Duchess of Cambridge got married and wore a veil and then dammit I wanted one too.  So I made one and still thought I was being silly, but then I put it on with my dress the day of my wedding and OMG I finally felt like a bride.  Silly I know but it was true.  Ever since then I love brides in veils, especially long, simple cathedral length veils.  I mean, if you are going to wear a veil then wear a veil, KWIM?

I think the veil you posted would be too much with your dress.  I think you need something simple, maybe a raw cut edge or even something that has really tiny beads/bling on the edge.  But I would go with a cathedral length veil and rock the shit out of it!

• I felt 'funny' in the cathedral length veils - I really like the fingertip length though.  I totally get the 'short and squat' part.  In your dress, I'd probably look at a pencil-edged veil or one edged with crystal beading (to bring out the rest of the sparkle on your dress).

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards