Wedding Etiquette Forum

NER - How to Make family names plural

Hey I am in need a little advice on the topic of making a family name plural.  I know normally we can just add an "s" or "es" on the end of most names (like the Smith Family becomes the Smiths).  But what do you do when the family name has an apostrophe and ends in a vowel? Example the D'Angelo.  I was just wondering if there was any way to say it other than "The D'Angelo Family"

Thanks!

Re: NER - How to Make family names plural

• The D'Angelo's?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• The D'Angelo's?

I thought the double apostrophes made it look weird, but perhaps I'm just overthing it...
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    D'Angelos. Joneses.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • my new last name ends in s-i-s and I hate how making in plural now it has 3 s's ...

IE (made up name and I like art....); Artsis is now Artsises???

Anniversary
  • phira said:
    D'Angelos. Joneses.
    Oh God, that is so ugly.

Go with the D'Angelo or Jones family, lol!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• edited April 2014
    MrsAitch said:
    The D'Angelo's?

I thought the double apostrophes made it look weird, but perhaps I'm just overthing it...
    OMG NOOOO! You never ever EVER use an apostrophe to make something plural--sorry but this drives me nuts. I once saw in the same week on facebook someone post a dish she bought with "The Smith's" etched on it and someone else with an incorrect monogram--his name was John Andrew Doe and she did the monogram JAD.
    OMG ALL OF YOU RELAX!!

It was a typo, sheesh ><

BTW, I see the use of the apostrophe on shit outside of ppl's houses and always assumed that they were using the possessive tense because they were trying to say this was their house.

I'm too paranoid after watching ID TV and would never have anything with my name outside of my house now, lol!  Bad enough ppl can steal my mail!

• Inkdancer said:
    sarahufl said:
    The D'Angelo's?
    that is possessive. Wouldn't plural just be the D'Angelos?
    This is correct. The extra apostrophe indicates that something belongs to The D'Angelo.

Okay, that makes much more sense!
  • Thanks everyone!  Sometimes English is hard for me :/ LOL, thats why I took Science in skool :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards