Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Anybody regret NOT doing engagement pics?

I want them, but my fiancé isn't into it. We've never had professional photos taken and I think it would be nice. I know if I pushed the issue he would agree, but is it worth it? Do you guys feel like it's something we'll regret if we don't do them?

Re: Anybody regret NOT doing engagement pics?

• We didn't do them. I think the main reason to do them is if you want to include a photo on your Save the Date. But on the flip side is, that if you aren't familiar with the photographer, it gives you a chance to test out their work and what it's like working with them.
  • We did engagement photos so we could meet our photographer, get used to working with her, and practice being in front of the camera. It made things so much easier on our wedding day! Here's an article that has more about why you should consider doing them. It's also nice to have professional photos where you're not in wedding attire.
  • I kind of regret doing them. I got one photo for our Save the Date and then others I have virtually no use for. I slightly feel like the money was wasted.

I'd look for a photographer that simply includes an engagement session in your package; that way you aren't paying extra and you have the added benefit of working with your photographer before the actual wedding.
  • I'd look for a photographer that simply includes an engagement session in your package; that way you aren't paying extra and you have the added benefit of working with your photographer before the actual wedding.
    You are still paying for it, though.  Our package included engagement photos, we didn't want them, and got a discounted rate.
  • I'd look for a photographer that simply includes an engagement session in your package; that way you aren't paying extra and you have the added benefit of working with your photographer before the actual wedding.
    You are still paying for it, though.  Our package included engagement photos, we didn't want them, and got a discounted rate.
    Right, and I understand that it's a package deal (actually though, we didn't receive a discount for not doing the engagement session). But for the couple that's unsure about how much use they'll get out of engagement photos, it's a much better deal to go through the wedding photographer than to go through a separate photographer. 

My point was if they're going to do the photos, and her FI isn't sold on them, why not just wait until they book a wedding photographer?
  • We've already booked our photographer and already know her, so that wouldn't be the reason. It's just that I've waited so long to find my guy (I'm 39) that I don't want to miss out on anything. Call me crazy... :-)
  • Then go for it! :)
  • My FI and I also had never had professional pics taken together, so it was fun to do an engagement shoot. The pictures came out fine. We also realized after many weeks of waiting, unresponsive emails, and photos that looked like they hadn't really been retouched at all when we finally received them, that we would not be going with her for our wedding day. I say go for it!
  • We didn't do engagement photos.  We are in our mid 30s and I just felt like we were a little old to be doing them.  I know, it's a silly reason, but that's how I felt.  We also travel ALOT and always end up having one or two nice photos taken by other people, so those mean more to me than any professional photos solely for an engagement session could ever mean.  We have our our favorite travel photos in a collage frame displayed in our house. 
  • I definitely regret not doing them.  We were going to but just never got around to it (we were planning from out of town and it was more difficult with both working full time than I thought it would be).  I wished we would've had the practice being in front of the camera and photographer, posing, getting used to his style, etc.  I think we were a little awkward on our wedding day not having had that experience and even though we got great pictures, I regret not doing it.  Go for it!
  • Ven&RadioVen&Radio member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014
    We wanted to, but the cost of adding engagement pix to our photo package was more than we wanted to spend.  I don't regret not doing them, but I do think it would have been nice to have some great photos of the 2 of us wearing something other than wedding attire. 

ETA:  now that I'm thinking about it, when we first got our wedding photos back, I remember noticing certain poses were more flattering to my weight and it would have been GREAT to know that before the wedding.  I also learned that the best photos were the ones where we were doing something that felt natural to us and not when the photographers were giving us lots of direction.
  • We didn't do them and haven't thought twice about it.  We were together for just over 5 years before we got engaged and we have tons of photos of the two of us already.  I actually used a bunch of them to make a personalized guestbook.

I think it's totally a personal taste thing.  And it just isn't us.
  • We didn't do them, still haven't done them even though we can take them after the fact...coming up on 9 moths now. I will say they are a good way to get comfortable with your phog and make sure you're happy with their skill set.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We're doing them! My dear fiancé came home and said he knew it was important to me so he surprised me by booking a session this weekend!!!!! Yay! Now, gotta figure out what to wear.... :-)
  • We were going to do some for our Save the Dates but the weather wouldn't cooperate.  I was a photographer so I thought they were important... but now I don't regret not doing them at all.  I wanted them for our guest book. Because the weather didn't cooperate I had to look at what we had... we have had a LOT of pictures taken over the last 7 years so I'm using those instead and doing a bridal shoot as well so our photographer and I can "play". She's worked for me as a contractor when I had a storefront so I am already familiar with her and her style, but can't wait to do bridal portraits... and FI is off the hook so he's happy too!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't do them and I don't regret it. I don't like engagement photos at all - to me they are cheesy, contrived, and a waste of money. They just make me cringe and I wonder how brides originally got talked into thinking they were necessary.
  • We just got ours taken today at JcPenney's. I think that it is worth it. We spent about $200 and got a CD with around 30 images, a large specialty photo framed for our living room, and 12 enhanced photo prints to give to family. I wanted them because we really do not have any good photos together, and I wanted some done professionally before we are married. In order to make sure we got around to doing them, I booked them today, which is a year from our wedding date. I think it will be fun to see how we have changed.

We used Groupon and managed to save over $400.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you don't want to do them and they have already "included" it in your package, they make take like $200 off your package. That's what they did for us since we didn't want them.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards